Quantcast
Audi A4 vs Audi S4 vs Audi URS4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Audi A4 vs Audi S4 vs Audi URS4

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Default Audi A4 vs Audi S4 vs Audi URS4

Anyone have any opinions on what they would get and why?

I'd only buy one if it was a manual, and the A4 would be a 1.8T and a B5 generation (don't like the looks of the newer B6).

The URS4 is a piece of Audi history, and it would be amazing to have one with a decent exhaust on it to hear that legendary 5 cylinder howl.

The S4 is obviously the pinnacle of the audi "4" line, but that comes at a price premium that may not be worth it. I already have a couple of (actual) race cars, so I don't need something ridiculously fast for the street, just something that can be made to look good in the summer and DD in the winter.

My Ride
    1988 300zxt, 90 jetta

If you're looking for a solid daily, I'd probably go with the a4 with some basic mods. Easy to maintain with the 1.8t, and if something major happens to break, it wouldn't be nearly as expensive to fix as the s4. URS4's are incredibly heavy, but that exhaust note is unbeatable.

If you take anything I have to say seriously, you're gunna have a bad time.
    1988 300zxt. gt35, stance coils, etc.
    1990 Jetta VR6 Daily, "stock"

Originally posted by ercchry
    people are dumb, kids need to stop playing in the streets, SW soccer moms are the worst kind of people, the end

My Ride
    Exploded.

Sounds like you already made up your mind between the A4 and the URS4.

The S4 doesn't seem interesting to you and you just added it because it's the top of the line, which you don't need since you already have fast race cars in your portfolio.

How rare is a URS4 vs. a manual A4?

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by flipstah

How rare is a URS4 vs. a manual A4?
    I'd be importing a URS4 from the states. All of them up here have over 300k kms on them

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-21-2019 at 01:03 PM.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Originally posted by HiTempguy1

I'd be importing a URS4 from the states. All of them up here have over 300k kms on them
    Then I'd choose whichever is easier to acquire. If you really wanted the URS4, you wouldn't give a fuck but if you're indifferent, go towards the path of least resistance.

My Ride
    1988 300zxt, 90 jetta

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
    If I was buying a used AWD for a DD, I wouldn’t really be looking at Audi at all as they are not exactly known for reliability even when brand new. In your shoes, I’d probably go last-gen Forester XT with a stick shift, or find a newer WRX that hasn’t been rat bagged.
    I had my s4 for a year and didn't have a single issue with it. Just like any other car, as long as you take care of it and do the proper maintenance, it'll last you for a long time... unless it's a hummer :P

people are dumb, kids need to stop playing in the streets, SW soccer moms are the worst kind of people, the end

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-21-2019 at 01:03 PM.

My Ride
    Silverado

In your shoes, I’d probably go last-gen Forester XT with a stick shift,
    Find me one and I'll buy it today. I have seen one come up for sale in the last 6 months here, and it sold within a couple hours.

My Ride
    1988 300zxt, 90 jetta

It is made by GM, so kind of a given that it is unreliable

Maybe just a stigma, but I thought older Audi’s have a terrible reputation for electrical problems and also issues surrounding the longevity of the turbo. I am not anti-Audi though… I am hopefully picking up a brand new one this week.
    I can't say I've heard that before? I know the older vw's (golfs that were made in mexico) have that stigma, but I never heard that for audi's. Perhaps I'm just not listening though lol.

I know the k03's in the b5 s4's are notorious for failing, but again if the car is taken care of they'll last for 200k or more.

Originally posted by DeleriousZ

I had my s4 for a year and didn't have a single issue with it. Just like any other car, as long as you take care of it and do the proper maintenance, it'll last you for a long time... unless it's a hummer :P
    Same here, had a 2000 S4 (the one with the apparent turbo unreliability) and a 2006 S4, both for many years. ZERO problems with either, and zero problems since day 1 (had all maintenance records from the dealer for both) they were driven daily year-round and perfectly reliable. It's hard to think of a better year-round DD than an S4 IMO. Lots of power, AWD, and the best interiors in the business. My 2000 S4 was chipped as well for over 130,000 KM and had absolutely zero turbo issues with both turbos running at maximum boost, working much harder than designed.

It happens to be the type of car that owners like to bag the shit out of, which is why you hear of some reliability issues. It was also a popular car to lease, which means you can drive it as hard as you want every day without worry, and then give it back to the dealer. A ton of B5 S4's I looked at were absolutely bagged and obviously not taken care of. They also have more things that CAN go wrong, simply because they have more parts, turbo plumbing, etc. Like anything, take care of it and you will most likely have no issues.

I'd get a B5, B6, or B7 S4 again without even thinking twice if I was in the market.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 07-15-2013 at 11:47 AM.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Flipstah kind of had me figured out from the start. While I like most Audi's and like the overall value an A4 has (stylewise, combined with decent power once modded, plus overall quality of the car), a URS4 has always been a bucket list car for me.

I stumbled across this quite randomly...

Car is mint to say the least, Canadian, and only 200,000kms... AND BONE STOCK.

I already have visions of it dropped an inch or two on 18" creamsicle orange BBS rims with a polished lip Here's hoping everything pans out in the next week!

My Ride
    G37X

^^^Keep us posted..that looks/sounds awesome.

Flipstah kind of had me figured out from the start. While I like most Audi's and like the overall value an A4 has (stylewise, combined with decent power once modded, plus overall quality of the car), a URS4 has always been a bucket list car for me.

I already have visions of it dropped an inch or two on 18" creamsicle orange BBS rims with a polished lip Here's hoping everything pans out in the next week!
    Only difference I might consider is rather than creamsicle orange, go a nice candy rootbeer...

Sweet car!

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-21-2019 at 01:02 PM.

My Ride
    Exploded.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by tirebob
    Only difference I might consider is rather than creamsicle orange, go a nice candy rootbeer...

Sweet car!

Hmm, decisions decisions. I never really considered that, but after looking at pictures (seems to be more a donk thing), that color could totally work with the pearl on a BBS LM, rather than the standard gold. It also would be much more sedate, which is how I'd prefer the car to be perceived.

wow, you wasted no time finding that! Nice!
    Ya, I just kind of stumbled on it. The guy is going camping for a week starting on Friday until next Friday, which works out well for me as I'm busy this weekend. A guy from Eurodrivers.ca is going to give me a rip in his bone stock URS4 on Thursday so I can make sure I like the dynamics of the car... considering the $400 Civic I'm driving right now, I probably won't care

Uhg, 500 hp is way too easy on these cars. I just need to make sure I spend all my money racing rather than on this

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-21-2019 at 01:01 PM.

My Ride
    1988 300zxt, 90 jetta

I'll just leave this here..

(Click the picture for more)

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Wheel'd and dealed on the phone today, guy says he will take $4k for it. I hop on the greyhound (too late to book a plane ticket) out to Salmon Arm tomorrow evening! I already have the mandatory german electro beats downloaded, now to do mach chicken through the mountains with it

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast