Quantcast
K20a3 engine (civic sir / Ep3) exhaust system ideas - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: K20a3 engine (civic sir / Ep3) exhaust system ideas

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Default K20a3 engine (civic sir / Ep3) exhaust system ideas

I've been looking through the EP3 (Civic SiR) forums for ideas to replace my exhaust system as its not going to last another winter. There are way too many ideas to make a good guess. Also, some of the parts are ridiculous to ship here from US.

Just wondering what those in the know would recommend for this engine. I'm NOT looking for extra sound, but rather power.

I would like to do a COMPLETE exhaust system so this means starrting with the headers. My budget is around the 1000$ mark and I would probably do my own work.

The engine is stock, save for an aftermarket intake and cone K&N filter. I dont plan on modding the engine internals.

My Ride
    M3P

I had the fujitsubo legalis r on my EP3 and it was incredible, not loud, great tone, not ricey at all. (obviously didn't notice any gains or anything). As far as replacing headers too, DC Sports was always the cheapest, check out showstoppersusa.

For $1000 you may have a hard time getting both the exhaust and headers IMO.
    Last edited by hurrdurr; 07-15-2013 at 01:09 PM.

My Ride
    '16 Sportwagen

A lot of ep3 guys that want better flow with minimal sound love the apexi WSII system. It's high quality and fitment with minimal noise increase. It is a little pricey though. I am using the magnaflow system on my ep3 and i did notice a little more pull up top but it is really loud so probably not what you are looking for. I don't really have an opinion on a header but I do know that these engines really get loud with no cat.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Unfortunately the only power to be made is with a race header and a more free flowing exhaust which makes them obnoxiously loud.

I have a DC Race Header (old and cheap) but there's lots of info on k-series on what race headers make the most power (SSR maybe, haven't read much on it lately). Do not waste your money on any shorty headers, either race header or stock.

I had the DC RH + 2.5" midpipe w/ vibrant resonator + spoon N1 and it made the most power out of any exhaust I've owned but it was ridiculously loud and droned so bad I sold it.

I also had the DC RH + 2.5" midpipe w/ vibrant resonator + oem axle back and it still made decent power and was pretty quiet. Lots of people recommend keeping the oem axle back as it flows good and to keep the sound down. Only oem replacement midpipe I'm aware of is Megan which shouldn't cost too much either.

I currently now have DC RH + Greddy Spectrum Elite cat back which is alright, it's one of the more quiet sounding aftermarket systems but again the RH makes it semi-obnoxious. And don't expect any huge gains without Kpro and a tune.

Edit: to keep it under $1000 get a quality RH + megan midpipe and run the oem axle back for now. It's also recommended to run engine mount inserts (or new mounts) to keep the RH from cracking with engine movement. I've probably done 50k km's on my RH with stock mounts with no issues yet so take that for what its worth.

My Ride

^ Probably an oxymoron then to ask if there are free flowing mufflers out there that do a good job of silencing the race headers, etc.

Yea thats the issue, seems like none of the systems out there are straight bolt-on solutions from the headers back that would give a few extra HP while not being stupid loud. I dont mind a deep bass, I cant stand the normal "fart" can sound.

It already has a cat-back system installed (prob 10 years old) but the parts are rusting out quickly so everything back from the cat needs to go. I dont mind a cat delete either if it helps with mileage and performance.
    Last edited by revelations; 07-15-2013 at 03:14 PM.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Originally posted by revelations
    ^ Probably an oxymoron then to ask if there are free flowing mufflers out there that do a good job of silencing the race headers, etc.

Yea thats the issue, seems like none of the systems out there are straight bolt-on solutions from the headers back that would give a few extra HP while not being stupid loud. I dont mind a deep bass, I cant stand the normal "fart" can sound.

It already has a cat-back system installed (prob 10 years old) but the parts are rusting out quickly so everything back from the cat needs to go. I dont mind a cat delete either if it helps with mileage and performance.
    I recall reading stuff about OBX twin loop muffler that was quieter with less drone but I have no firsthand experience with their exhaust stuff.

My Ride
    '16 Sportwagen

Originally posted by revelations
    I dont mind a cat delete either if it helps with mileage and performance.
    3 options for a cat delete.
    1. Megan racing test pipe. Bad reviews for poor fitment and makes the car loud and ricey.
    2. Race header. Good performance but extremely loud unless you have a stock axle back which defeats the purpose of a header.
    3. Custom piping. Obviously it will fit well but same issue is that it will be loud.

There really isn't any way around the issue of not wanting the car to be loud. It's an N/A 4 cylinder engine. Nature of the beast.

My Ride
    TDi

I have a RH, custom midpipe, and obx twin loop.

With the midpipe and twin loop = I found the tone to be a bit deeper but a bit whiney
    With the midpipe, twin loop and RH = too loud and raspy as hell. At times I wish I didn't have the RH on.
    GO FLAMES GO!

My Ride
    Nothing Good.

Would you consider just going to like a Minute Muffler (32nd) type place and getting them to fab up a custom exhaust and put on a Magnaflow muffler? Definitely will sound good and wont break the bank. Just IMO
    A Ferrari is a high maintenance chick, you spend money regardless of what you do with her. You can baby the C63, or slap on all seasons, and you won't be spending anything but yearly maintenance. Of course that's like dating a stripper and refusing to fuck her, which would make you gay.

Originally posted by Rage2

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Originally posted by 403ep3
    I have a RH, custom midpipe, and obx twin loop.

With the midpipe and twin loop = I found the tone to be a bit deeper but a bit whiney
    With the midpipe, twin loop and RH = too loud and raspy as hell. At times I wish I didn't have the RH on.
    Is that still with my old midpipe? That midpipe was louder to start with since it was so large and only has the one resonator.

My Ride

Originally posted by bourge73
    Would you consider just going to like a Minute Muffler (32nd) type place and getting them to fab up a custom exhaust and put on a Magnaflow muffler? Definitely will sound good and wont break the bank. Just IMO
    Whats the damage on something like that? Would certainly consider if its around the 1000$ mark.

Originally posted by YamahaV8

3 options for a cat delete.
    1. Megan racing test pipe. Bad reviews for poor fitment and makes the car loud and ricey.
    2. Race header. Good performance but extremely loud unless you have a stock axle back which defeats the purpose of a header.
    3. Custom piping. Obviously it will fit well but same issue is that it will be loud.

There really isn't any way around the issue of not wanting the car to be loud. It's an N/A 4 cylinder engine. Nature of the beast.
    If you do go the custom route, why not put a resonator/"pre-muffler" in the space where the cat goes?

it's like a straight little free-flowing pipe section with a sort of bump matrix inside to cancel out some noise.

My Ride
    Non Baller Vehicles

i had a TODA Race header and TODA Hi-Power muffler on my EP3 back home and it wasn't really too loud, gave a really nice tone without droning too much at cruising speeds!

Infact for the most part, the induction noise and supercharger whine were louder than the exhaust :P

although UKDM EP3s are K20A2s, so i don't think the headers fit the A3?

here's a JDM one from YT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwP5ysmE6lk

My Ride
    TDi

Originally posted by 88CRX

Is that still with my old midpipe? That midpipe was louder to start with since it was so large and only has the one resonator.
    Nah I replaced it awhile back. The salt and constant scraping got to it and produced a big hole .. then the sound became way too obxnoxious and loud haha
    GO FLAMES GO!

My Ride
    Nothing Good.

:Whats the damage on something like that? Would certainly consider if its around the 1000$ mark.

Best to give Ravi a shout or better yet stop by, but from what I have done in the past with them def. under a grand :thumbsup
    Last edited by bourge73; 07-16-2013 at 03:50 PM.
    A Ferrari is a high maintenance chick, you spend money regardless of what you do with her. You can baby the C63, or slap on all seasons, and you won't be spending anything but yearly maintenance. Of course that's like dating a stripper and refusing to fuck her, which would make you gay.

My Ride
    Nothing Good.

Any thoughts on going without a cat /resonator? piping size 2.5"?
    Last edited by bourge73; 07-16-2013 at 03:51 PM.

My Ride

Originally posted by bourge73
    Any thoughts on going without a cat /resonator? piping size 2.5"?
    Definitely considering it. Looking at options right now.

My Ride

Just an update for anyone searching on the interwebs :

I had my entire exhaust system replaced by Minute Muffler.

- DC race header
    - 2.75" pipe
    - magnaflow muffler
    - cat delete
    - 90 degree defouler

Whole thing ended up slightly over the 1000 CAD mark (1200?).

Ravi worked his magic once again. The car sounds amazing at idle - deep bass - no droning at speed or hard throttle. Definitely more power and probably 5-10% better (instantaneous read out) fuel economy on the highway.
    Last edited by revelations; 01-20-2015 at 12:12 PM.