Quantcast
Fundamentals of Engineering Exam Prep Course - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Fundamentals of Engineering Exam Prep Course

Post Fundamentals of Engineering Exam Prep Course

Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use before posting again, or risk getting banned).

If you are interested in having your company become a sponsor, please click here to contact kenny, our Advertising Co-Ordinator.

For advertising pricing and packages, Click Here

My Ride
    Silverado

Yo mean take this course to pass the FE to become PE right?
    also, the FE doesn't make you a PE, it makes you an EIT. Then you write the PE to get PE status..

it makes you an EIT temporaily, until you have your 4 years work experience and have written the equivalent of the NPPE (ethics exam) I believe.

Originally posted by dirtsniffer
    Yo mean take this course to pass the FE to become PE right?
    also, the FE doesn't make you a PE, it makes you an EIT. Then you write the PE to get PE status..

In Canada, Alberta to be specific, APEGA may assign you the FE exam when you apply for a P.Eng title. This exam is mostly assigned to engineers who have degrees outside of Canada. The FE exam and the NPPE exam are both required to get the P.Eng.
    However, the FE exam is by far the hardest of the two and is the main obstacle facing applicants, especially those who have been out of school for a long time. This is because of the sheer amount of material the exam covers. That's where our program comes in. We prepare examinees to write and pass the exam by reviewing all the topics covered in the exam plus much more.

In the USA, the FE and the PE exams are required to get a PE designation. The FE is the first step. If you don't pass the FE, you can't write the PE. So if you want to get your PE in the States, you can register with us and we'll get you started by passing the FE exam.

Originally posted by danifreg

In Canada, Alberta to be specific, APEGA may assign you the FE exam when you apply for a P.Eng title. This exam is mostly assigned to engineers who have degrees outside of Canada. The FE exam and the NPPE exam are both required to get the P.Eng.
    However, the FE exam is by far the hardest of the two and is the main obstacle facing applicants, especially those who have been out of school for a long time. This is because of the sheer amount of material the exam covers. That's where our program comes in. We prepare examinees to write and pass the exam by reviewing all the topics covered in the exam plus much more.

In the USA, the FE and the PE exams are required to get a PE designation. The FE is the first step. If you don't pass the FE, you can't write the PE. So if you want to get your PE in the States, you can register with us and we'll get you started by passing the FE exam.
    Since when is the FE exam anything but an American (albeit useless) test?

And no the FE is not required to get a P. Eng. Here or in the United States (if you are from Canada).

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Yeah, and wasn't it something like if you didn't get your degree in Canada, the only extra thing you need to do is send your transcripts in?

Originally posted by lasimmon

And no the FE is not required to get a P. Eng. Here or in the United States (if you are from Canada).

The FE is required if you are assigned the exam by APEGA! I know because I was assigned the exam by APEGA. Wrote it and passed it.

Also, the FE is required to get your PE in the USA. All the info is clearly stated here http://www.nspe.org/Licensure/HowtoG...sed/index.html

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

danifreg, I'm going to go on a limb here and say you went to school in the States. Am I correct?

Also, the FE is required to get your PE in the USA. All the info is clearly stated here http://www.nspe.org/Licensure/HowtoG...sed/index.html
    I know of many personal friends and family members who have moved to Houston and never had to write the FE.

I know of many personal friends and family members who have moved to Houston and never had to write the FE.

Did they register as Professional Engineers? I did my undergrad in the US and most companies over there don't bother their employees about getting their PE.

Also, if they have a lot of experience, they may have waived the exam for them.
    http://engineers.texas.gov/lic_basic.htm

Generally speaking, all engineering graduates in the US have to write the FE and PE exams to get their PE license. Even if you went to MIT, you'll still have to write it. If you have a lot of experience and then apply, they may waive the FE.....depends on the licensing board they apply to.

Did they register as Professional Engineers? I did my undergrad in the US and most companies over there don't bother their employees about getting their PE.

Also, if they have a lot of experience, they may have waived the exam for them.
    http://engineers.texas.gov/lic_basic.htm

Generally speaking, all engineering graduates in the US have to write the FE and PE exams to get their PE license. Even if you went to MIT, you'll still have to write it. If you have a lot of experience and then apply, they may waive the FE.....depends on the licensing board they apply to.
    You answered your own question.

The FE was designed because there is a broad lack of accreditation of Engineering schools in the USA. We don't have that problem which is why we do not have to write it. A lot of still do because it can help open doors in the USA, however it is not a requirement.

My Ride
    '05 Subaru LGT wagon (5MT)

I think what danifreg is trying to say is that if in the course of applying to APEGA (without having completed your undergrad degree in Canada) they decide that your course work was inadequate they will assign you the FE exam as a replacement to adequate course work. This applies to foreign trained engineers only. It is short sighted to think that only Canadian trained engineers are reading this board and thread. I have had numerous foreign trained engineers apply to my company and some of them did have to take the FE in order to get EIT status.

Too bad that danifreg is violating rules of advertising because they could legitimately help people on this board that are foreign trained or want to pursue a career in the US. Advertising is a small cost for such a captive audience.

In the US, generally speaking, if the engineering work is for internal consumption ex. designing a gas plant for Chevron while working as an employee at Chevron, you would not need to be a PE (unless the specific work required it as part of DOT requirements). If the work is consulting or contributes to a product used by people other than the engineer ex. pipelines designed by an engineering company, cars, consumer products that are regulated etc. then you need to have a PE review and stamp designs.

In practice what happens is an engineering office generally has a high ratio of non-PEs to PEs and many of the PEs essentially sit in an office reviewing and stamping work all day long. The highest ratio I saw was over 30:1 and the non-PEs were adamant that there was no real benefit to them to becoming a PE.

My Ride
    '98 Camry

Texas is the only state that gives comity to Canadian engineers without having to do the FE and PE exams. (because of oil)

That being said, you cannot take your Texas PE and apply for a PE via comity in another state. They will require that you write the FE and PE exams.

Canadians don't necessarily have better schools and cannot skip the FE and PE exams. Unless they are old fuckers with lots of experience, and even then you'll have to jump through some hoops to prove it

I am not sure about other provinces but APEGA does have a special relationship with NCEES (American engineering test centre) to administer the FE and PE exams. That is how APEGA is able to make foreign applicants take the FE exam.

Source: After doing the FE and PE exams (plus some extras for fun) I am a licensed American PE and have spent hours reading PE application forms. License costs me 75$ for 2 years!

Danifreg probably did not do his schooling in the US, both the Canadian and American accreditation boards recognise each other. I.E ABET accredited schools are accepted by APEGA and would not require writing the FE.
    EDIT: missed the part where he said he did his undergrad in the US. Probably at some place not ABET accredited.

I don't agree that the FE and PE exams are useless. I think the American system of experience and examination is better than what is required in Canada. In Canada any fuck wit that can make it through the four year program and find a job will end up being a licensed engineer. And then you have foreign engineers who could have fraudulent credentials only required to have 1 year Canadian experience to get a license.

But Canadian engineers like to think they are smarter.

The examination helps keep those ne'er-do-wells out; who probably shouldn't be there.
    Last edited by Penis McNickels; 07-17-2013 at 01:27 AM.

Originally posted by Penis McNickels

Texas is the only state that gives comity to Canadian engineers without having to do the FE and PE exams. (because of oil)

That being said, you cannot take your Texas PE and apply for a PE via comity in another state. They will require that you write the FE and PE exams.

Canadians don't necessarily have better schools and cannot skip the FE and PE exams. Unless they are old fuckers with lots of experience, and even then you'll have to jump through some hoops to prove it

I am not sure about other provinces but APEGA does have a special relationship with NCEES (American engineering test centre) to administer the FE and PE exams. That is how APEGA is able to make foreign applicants take the FE exam.

Source: After doing the FE and PE exams (plus some extras for fun) I am a licensed American PE and have spent hours reading PE application forms. License costs me 75$ for 2 years!

Danifreg probably did not do his schooling in the US, both the Canadian and American accreditation boards recognise each other. I.E ABET accredited schools are accepted by APEGA and would not require writing the FE.
    EDIT: missed the part where he said he did his undergrad in the US. Probably at some place not ABET accredited.

I don't agree that the FE and PE exams are useless. I think the American system of experience and examination is better than what is required in Canada. In Canada any fuck wit that can make it through the four year program and find a job will end up being a licensed engineer. And then you have foreign engineers who could have fraudulent credentials only required to have 1 year Canadian experience to get a license.

But Canadian engineers like to think they are smarter.

The examination helps keep those ne'er-do-wells out; who probably shouldn't be there.

98brg2d thank you for the explanation. I only recently noticed that my original post was deleted. I was not previously aware of the advertising section of this forum. I will pursue advertising options with them very soon.
    Like I mentioned in my original post, some foreign trained engineers are assigned the the FE exam as an educational requirement for registration with APEGA. I remember speaking with the exam coordinator at APEGA about this and he told me that they not only look at your transcripts, they also look at your experience and the type of experience you have. He said that there's no set criteria for determining who they assign the exam to. Even if you graduated from an ABET accredited university (as in my case). They look at the overall qualifications and experience of each applicant. Foreign applicants in this case. Obviously if you went to a Canadian university you won't even need to write the FE to register with APEGA.

Canadian engineers seem to use the FE as a knock on US engineering schools. But I think it's simply a matter of pride than anything else. If you look at the ranking, some of the best engineering schools in the world are American......a Canadian school doesn't show up on the list until much later. But who's checking.