Quantcast
Calgary Police Service shoot a dog at a traffic stop.... - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Calgary Police Service shoot a dog at a traffic stop....

Default Calgary Police Service shoot a dog at a traffic stop....

CPS pull over someone for a "routine" traffic stop and say the dog jumped out of the window and attacked an office so the officer shot the dog in the head.

Second link says the owner denies that, she told them to leave the dog alone until animal bylaw comes to get the dogs, but he opened the door and the dog came out.

CPS says they have it on dashcam, I think they should release it so we can see if he opened the door or if it jumped out of the window. Then they know who is lying.

Otherwise, what do you think? I don't think shooting a dog is right, but under the circumstance? I don't know.

Reminds me of the case in Hawthorne CA (not as bad tho, because the dog the CPS shot is alive)

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/20..._shooting.html

http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/police-off...-dog-1.1368858

http://globalnews.ca/news/720023/dog...-traffic-stop/

what ever happened to less than lethal options. Tasers, Dog Spray, batons even. You'd think in 2013 we'd have developed some technologies to incapacitate someone (or a dog in this instance) without having to blow a 9mm hole through their brains

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

I'm sure the video/audio tapes will vindicate the officers. At this point I'd believe them, and would call the shooting justified.

Originally posted by BigMass
    what ever happened to less than lethal options. Tasers, Dog Spray, batons even. You'd think in 2013 we'd have developed some technologies to incapacitate someone (or a dog in this instance) without having to blow a 9mm hole through their brains
    Whatever happened to owners actually taking responsibility for their pets, and training them properly?
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

That video will never be released to the public. CPS showing accountability? HA! Never!
    "Uptight user on beyond.ca" - Micheal Platt

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

^ yea that NEVER happens ....

Remember the Tim Hortons incident where the police had a mini-drag race off the lights that was caught on camera? Yea, they got owned and manned up, the actual driver came forward and spoke to the chief.

Originally posted by revelations
    ^ yea that NEVER happens ....

Remember the Tim Hortons incident where the police had a mini-drag race off the lights that was caught on camera? Yea, they got owned and manned up, the actual driver came forward and spoke to the chief.
    Yes, and then the police blew it off like it was no big deal. Go do that in front of a cop and see what happens, those lights will come on faster than you can blink, yet when they do it, all is good.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

This is nothing like the California shooting since this dog had already attacked an officer, apparently the only reason he’s not in hospital is because he was wearing body armor. And the fact that the owners were the target of an investigation.

Tasers, batons and spray do not incapacitate and are pain compliance methods. Taser or spray a pissed off dog and then tell it to sit, what do you think happens? There is zero guarantees that an attacking dog would stop for either or wouldn’t simply re-engage. If he used a baton and let the dog come back to a dangerous range, people would be complaining he killed it first strike.

Anyone who says they would never kill an animal in a situation where they are getting attacked is full of shit. Plain and simple.
    Last edited by FraserB; 07-17-2013 at 09:41 AM.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by FullFledgedYYC
    Go do that in front of a cop and see what happens, those lights will come on faster than you can blink, yet when they do it, all is good.
    Actually, I took off quickly off a light a few weekends ago in front of an unmarked cop. Paced me for a few km's before pulling me over, then letting me go after checking my registration and insurance. No ticket, not even for my tinted windows.

Which is exactly what the chief of police said the cops would do if someone did the exact same thing. They'd pull the person over to see what the rush is. My excuse was 400hp and AWD at half throttle lol.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Originally posted by FraserB
    This is nothing like the California shooting since this dog had already attacked an officer, apparently the only reason he’s not in hospital is because he was wearing body armor. And the fact that the owners were the target of an investigation.
    Agree 100%. Things like spray and tasers are great to KEEP someone or something from attacking. Once it is attacking, the cops have no choice but to use whatever force is required to stop the threat. In this case, the dog already bit the officer. I think he was completely justified.

No the only question is... did he open the door and let the dog out himself even though the owner supposedly told him not to. If the dog got out on his own, this is pretty much an open/shut case in favour of the cop imo.

Originally posted by rage2

Actually, I took off quickly off a light a few weekends ago in front of an unmarked cop. Paced me for a few km's before pulling me over, then letting me go after checking my registration and insurance. No ticket, not even for my tinted windows.

Which is exactly what the chief of police said the cops would do if someone did the exact same thing. They'd pull the person over to see what the rush is. My excuse was 400hp and AWD at half throttle lol.
    Seems you got a good one. I know 2 friends that have seen the opposite outcome. Both were ticketed for stunting.

My Ride
    2013 FR-S

Pretty skeptical that the cops just shot the dog for no reason, but will wait for video evidence before I blame either party.

Shits crazy in the NE.

My Ride
    D40/ED9/R6

I wanna see the video - anyone wanna place bets on the video's release?
    Maybe there was a 'malfunction' with the dashcam at exactly that moment.

SPCA should carry loaded guns and if a dog ever tries to bite them they should just shoot the dog in the head point blank.
    Sounds like a reasonable response...
    Last edited by Modelexis; 07-17-2013 at 10:18 AM.
    "Anarchism is not a romantic fable but the hardheaded realization, based on five thousand years of experience, that we cannot entrust the management of our lives to kings, priests, politicians, generals, and county commissioners."

My Ride
    Nothing

Am I the only one who doesn't care what the underlying situation is - even if he opened the door and the animal attacked him, you've got a fvcking dog biting people for no reason. If he'd been dragging the lady out of the car and she was kicking and screaming and it thought its owner was in danger that's one thing, but to attack somebody for opening the door and then run away.....kill that animal.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Why should the police be compelled to relase evidence in what will probably be a criminal investigation just because some people automatically hear the word police and assume they are in the wrong?

When you think about it, it's really no one's business what happened at that stop.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    Car

Originally posted by FullFledgedYYC

Seems you got a good one. I know 2 friends that have seen the opposite outcome. Both were ticketed for stunting.
    Probably more to that story than you're letting on. Were your friends being total dbags to the cops? Was there lots of traffic around when they floored it? I've been pulled over plenty in my day, and it's amazing what a little bit of respect and reason can get you.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Originally posted by M.alex
    Am I the only one who doesn't care what the underlying situation is - even if he opened the door and the animal attacked him, you've got a fvcking dog biting people for no reason. If he'd been dragging the lady out of the car and she was kicking and screaming and it thought its owner was in danger that's one thing, but to attack somebody for opening the door and then run away.....kill that animal.
    You don't really understand how dogs work do you?

All I have to do is open my eyes slightly wider than normal, and my dog flips out, thinking I'm playing with him. They are sensitive creatures that can sense the most miniscule of signs from their owner. All the owner had to do is be anxious or frightened of the stop for the dog to sense it and potentially be in defensive mode.

My Ride
    '73 Buick, '03 Ruckus, '18 Tundra

The bleeding heart animal lover that comment on this topic are too far removed from reality. For example, most of those bleed hearts would easily say their dogs/cats/fluffly rodents should be treated like humans. But if a human bit a cop in the chest im pretty sure they would shoot his ass too.

Originally posted by BigMass
    The dog wasn't killed.

My Ride
    Volvo

Originally posted by Quiet10

Shits crazy in the NE.
    un-unh. Check your map; Edmonton Trail & McKnight is not NE.

Originally posted by whydontchathen

un-unh. Check your map; Edmonton Trail & McKnight is not NE.
    Article says "Police pulled over an SUV in the 1400 block of 52nd Street N.E., around 8 p.m."

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast