Quantcast
Power Engineering - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Power Engineering

My Ride
    GMC Sierra

Default Power Engineering

Yes another power engineering thread I am faced with a dilemma. After being wait listed, I have been offered a seat at Sait for the fall power engineering program. I also have only one week to accept the offer of admission. So lately all I can think of is wether I should accept the offer or not

A little bit of background information about myself:
    -I am nearly ten years in a construction trade (self employed and tired of the shit show that is the construction industry)

-I have a young family (wife and a one year old)

-I excel in hands on type work as opposed to an office setting

-I was also accepted into the Forestry program at VIU (Nanaimo). Two years at VIU for a Forestry diploma, then another three years at UBC for a degree.

-After spending four years on the island, I don't necessarily enjoy living in Calgary. Will Power Engineering accommodate living in BC while making a living in Northern Alberta?

I have also done a lot of research and reading online regarding power engineering. From what I have gathered this is what I can expect from Power Engineering in the oil and gas industry (please correct me if I am wrong):

-Starting wage in a Fort Mac type location should be around 100k+ (Does wage increase yearly?)

-Work schedules are typically 12 hour shifts (night or day), 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off

-Some companies offer fly in fly out positions, while some companies will require relocation

-Work can be repetitive in nature and perhaps be a little boring at times??

-Huge demand in this industry, so landing a job should be no problem in a variety of locations

So within a week I have to decide what to take, Power Engineering or Forestry (I know, apples vs oranges). Only two years of school and good money in Power Engineering is making it a very difficult decision. Some other advantages may be enough time off I could still run a business on the side? Even if I don't enjoy the work it's only two years schooling and having a 3rd class in the back pocket is a huge asset to have for the rest of one's life. I know some people here are in the industry (Darkane?), I need some persuasion one way or the other.

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Do it.

Only company offering 2 week rotations is ConocoPhillips. The other plants are 7/7 flying.

Your wage as a third class will be closer to 140k/yr. wages go up fast as your progress through the posts in a plant. Depending on OT sky is the limit. I've seen seen 5 year guys work their ass off for 300k+/yr. want to make starting CFL QB cash? It's possible.

Living in BC and working here is doable. Two people do it at my plant.

Ask yourself if you're willing to be away from children for more than half the time. Is your wife up for the challenge?

If you eventually get a second class ticket you'll never be out of a 100k+ job for the rest of your life. Now that is worth considering.

I'm on my phone so I won't go into to much detail. Feel free to PM me.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    Beyond Fit Golf R and Berta RAM 1500

Power Engineering man. You will not regret it!
    Darkane covered alot of it...

If you want to live in BC then yes power engineering will accommodate that with fly in fly out... If you want a job in Calgary you can start around 80-90k a year as a 3rd class at most places. Its really a great job, and with your steam ticket you should never be jobless your entire life, which is nice.

My Ride
    GMC Sierra

So are most Northern Alberta companies fly in/out (usually to select places like Calgary Kelowna, Vancouver etc)? Is industry standard 7on and 7 off? How does your body feel with that kind of work? Do you spend a few days on your time off adjusting to normal life? Does anyone run a company or have other projects on the side, or are you just too tired to do anything other than relax and enjoy time off... I worked night shift back when I was 18 and didn't care for it to much.

How do you honestly feel about the work? Is it fulfilling or mundane? Do you see yourself doing this for the rest of your life or is it more of a lucrative stepping stone?

lol I have so many questions, but I would have to drag my wife and kid back to Calgary to do this. She says she is up for the challenge (like most women she is enticed by $ and shiny things), but I know she will curse and swear on those good ol' -30 days I almost feel obligated to take it just because I know how difficult it is to find a seat nowadays, btw I was waitlisted at both Medicine Hat College and Portage College, and I applied at all three early November.

My Ride

Originally posted by sxtasy
    So are most Northern Alberta companies fly in/out (usually to select places like Calgary Kelowna, Vancouver etc)? Is industry standard 7on and 7 off? How does your body feel with that kind of work? Do you spend a few days on your time off adjusting to normal life? Does anyone run a company or have other projects on the side, or are you just too tired to do anything other than relax and enjoy time off... I worked night shift back when I was 18 and didn't care for it to much.

How do you honestly feel about the work? Is it fulfilling or mundane? Do you see yourself doing this for the rest of your life or is it more of a lucrative stepping stone?

lol I have so many questions, but I would have to drag my wife and kid back to Calgary to do this. She says she is up for the challenge (like most women she is enticed by $ and shiny things), but I know she will curse and swear on those good ol' -30 days I almost feel obligated to take it just because I know how difficult it is to find a seat nowadays, btw I was waitlisted at both Medicine Hat College and Portage College, and I applied at all three early November.
    1) 7 and 7 is the most common commuter schedule. Plant with staffing locally run a variety of schedules all consisting of 12 hour shifts rotating days and nights.

2) Most companies will fly to Calgary, Edmonton. Rarely they will actually do Vancouver or Saskatoon. The trend is that more and more companies are now seeking inter-provincial employees and are flying more abroad.

3) For me Personally I 'can' get tired working but usually I don't. That said I'm in good shape and I'm anal about my diet and fitness. Working overtime does get to me and I may need 2 days of good sleep to be "normal" again. Most people don't have side jobs, although they could. Ask yourself if you really want to get into PE to have free time for a side job. You'll make more enough cash, won't need a side job.

The nights themselves can be challenging and I've seen it hurt people. I've been at my plant for 6 years and in that time I've seen healthy people go downhill because they don't take care of themselves. In a camp setting you'll sleep more though. I'm talking people with families who try to juggle night shifts with children during the day. They sleep 4 hours and it fucks em.

4) Generally the work is very mundane and boring. Easy though. Tests, readings, rounds etc.

Once you advance to Control room and above the job becomes MUCH more enjoyable. Shift team lead, Foreman and Shift Engineer positions are awesome. (5 years+ in Industry for those). I personally will not be Operating until I retire. But for 10-15 years you can have a house or two paid off, your dream car and retirement cash ready. Then do something you love like opening a brewery or Pub

Like I said this decision has a lot to do with your wife too. She Has to be strong enough to raise a family without you MORE THAN half the time. Most women are not up for this challenge.

Also to note depending on the Plant you can get passed Night shifts in about 10 years if you can land a Supervisor or Manager position.

EDIT: To add yes Demand is high for our trade, however experience is what lands jobs. You will be fine with a third class though. It's the green fourth class dreamers for 150k+ a year that get a rude awakening.

I would also say around half of the Plants out here are fly in/out.

Here's a few flying ones for you to check up on:

Connacher <sp>
    ConnocoPhillips
    MEG Energy
    Cenovous
    STAT Oil (I think)
    Grizzly Oil Sands
    CNRL Horizon
    Suncor Firebag

That's off the top of my head.
    Last edited by Darkane; 07-19-2013 at 04:39 AM.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Also check Devon Energy, and PM me if you are planning on applying.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    1995 Nissan Pathfinder

guess I'm one of those green 4th class dreamers. I've just gotten my 4th class steam ticket back in June and applied for numerous jobs and still have not recieved a single callback. Started thinking of doing the night course for 3rd at SAIT though the plan was just to get my 4th and work towards getting my 3rd later on. A fellow classmate was lucky to be working up north with just his 4th though. Seems the only way to get a job now is to know someone or have experience. Hell I wouldn't mind even working for free if it'll get me exp and eventually land me a job. Can somebody can help a brother out with some leads or something? TIA

My Ride
    Silverado

Can you challenge tickets?

My Ride

Originally posted by paramedic
    guess I'm one of those green 4th class dreamers. I've just gotten my 4th class steam ticket back in June and applied for numerous jobs and still have not recieved a single callback. Started thinking of doing the night course for 3rd at SAIT though the plan was just to get my 4th and work towards getting my 3rd later on. A fellow classmate was lucky to be working up north with just his 4th though. Seems the only way to get a job now is to know someone or have experience. Hell I wouldn't mind even working for free if it'll get me exp and eventually land me a job. Can somebody can help a brother out with some leads or something? TIA
    Are you applying for fly in/outs?

Where have you all applied?

Your best bet is to write 3A1, 3A2 ASAP. That'll put you on the right track for employers.

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride

Originally posted by dirtsniffer
    Can you challenge tickets?
    Part A's yes.

You the Part B's you need Firing time.

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    1995 Nissan Pathfinder

Originally posted by Darkane

Are you applying for fly in/outs?

Where have you all applied?

Your best bet is to write 3A1, 3A2 ASAP. That'll put you on the right track for employers.
    Yea that's what I've been looking for, I've only applied at CNRL so far as they were the only ones offering fly in/fly out positions. My classmate works at Syncrude cept they ain't hiring atm and I've applied mostly for BO positions around the city but it's pretty slim pickings. I'll definitely consider doing 3rd if I can't get anything by the end of the month.

My Ride
    GMC Sierra

Darkane: Thanks for all the in depth responses, much appreciated!

paramedic: Most of the jobs I have seen, especially in the oil field require 3rd class. Have you tried googling "power engineer jobs", gives you pages and pages of jobs, most of them requiring at least a 3rd class.

My Ride
    1995 Nissan Pathfinder

Originally posted by sxtasy
    Darkane: Thanks for all the in depth responses, much appreciated!

paramedic: Most of the jobs I have seen, especially in the oil field require 3rd class. Have you tried googling &quot;power engineer jobs&quot;, gives you pages and pages of jobs, most of them requiring at least a 3rd class.
    Yea I'm just trying my luck to get into the oil field. If it's a no go then so be it. I just want to utilize my 4th class ticket to it's full potential.

My Ride

Yea I'm just trying my luck to get into the oil field. If it's a no go then so be it. I just want to utilize my 4th class ticket to it's full potential.
    Probably not what you want to hear - but - move to fort mcmurray. Your chances of getting on with suncor or syncrude, nexen, albian sands, cnrl will go way up!

Apply for positions with a relocation. Get a year under your belt, third class steam time THEN fly in and out.

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    Has wheels

Yea that's what I've been looking for, I've only applied at CNRL so far as they were the only ones offering fly in/fly out positions....
    I know for a fact that cnrl are short operators at Horizon and not just 1 or 2 of them either..

Darkane, or anyone else that is into PE. I'm a jman fitter and I'm thinking about making the jump to PE, a lot of the operators I work along side with seem to give me the idea that challenging my 4th class wouldn't be so bad. What's your take?

My Ride

Originally posted by bruceod

I know for a fact that cnrl are short operators at Horizon and not just 1 or 2 of them either..

Darkane, or anyone else that is into PE. I'm a jman fitter and I'm thinking about making the jump to PE, a lot of the operators I work along side with seem to give me the idea that challenging my 4th class wouldn't be so bad. What's your take?
    If you talk to the chief of the operations you're working at and be agrees to give you student steam time do it. Otherwise you'll need to take the correspondence course at SAIT and pay 4g for steam time.

The exams you should be ok with. Can't write 4B with no steam time. It's always a good plan B to have another ticket in your back pocket.

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    1995 Nissan Pathfinder

Originally posted by Darkane

Probably not what you want to hear - but - move to fort mcmurray. Your chances of getting on with suncor or syncrude, nexen, albian sands, cnrl will go way up!

Apply for positions with a relocation. Get a year under your belt, third class steam time THEN fly in and out.
    Sounds like a plan, I actually don't mind relocating Not married yet so it's all good...I'll keep applying and just be more patient.