Quantcast
Re-homing 5yr old pure-bred beagle - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Re-homing 5yr old pure-bred beagle

Default Re-homing 5yr old pure-bred beagle

Unfortunately, my life situation has really changed in the past couple years due to a divorce and moving, and I need to re-home my 5 year old, female beagle. Before the bandwagoners jump on the thread and berate me for doing this to my dog, understand that I am holding out until I find her a good home that's better fitted to a beagle's active lifestyle and fair to her breed. This was a very hard and lengthy decision for me, but I want to do what's best for both my dog and I, and I don't want to send her to a shelter or put her on Kijiji. I'm also looking at a breed-specific rescue agency as an option, however I don't want her to be in a foster situation. I would prefer to find someone who's experienced with beagles (or hounds) and willing to give her a really good, forever home. Bonus if I find someone on Beyond whom I'm familiar with or can provide some references through other members.

She's completely healthy, but a smaller beagle by breed - slimmer, shorter, petite. But she's definitely healthy, powerful, muscular, and full of energy. She also does not bark, whatsoever. Only when playing with me. She'll cry if she's left alone and can hear noises where she thinks someone is home.

She is allergic to meat protein (or unable to digest it). I have her on Natural Balance Vegan/Vegetarian blend and she hasn't had any issues on it whatsoever in over 3+ years.
    She gets small amounts of certain raw vegetables (carrots, snap peas, cucumber, lettuce, apple, banana) and can have VERY small amounts of firm cheese without problem.

Because of her food allergies, she can't have treats, bones, rawhides, etc. They all cause her a very upset tummy - her new owner would need to be very diligent with this. Follow her diet and you'll have no problems.

She's very well behaved. 100% kennel trained and kennels willingly on the command "kennel up".
    She knows sit, lay down, stay (as well as a beagle can), play dead (all the way down), shake, and can catch treats/food in the air. She's really good at fetch inside the house, but is too easily distracted outside to play much.
    She is 100% house trained. She does not sleep on the human bed, and she's been taught not to be up on furniture, although she has lapses where she ends up on furniture.
    She also knows "no carpet" and will stay off carpet surfaces in the house if instructed so. She does not chew (aside from her nylabone or tennis balls), doesn't dig, doesn't mark, etc. She's a really good pup.

Outside she cannot be taken off leash. I've taken her a couple times in a closed environment and she's 100% up to her own devices, she ignores all recall and commands.
    She walks really well on a leash. No issues there. She pulls, but very minor. She is somewhat stubborn though.
    She's trained to use gravel or grass to do her business.

She seems to be extremely submissive around dogs with high energy though, or dogs who are assertive or quite large.
    She does not do well with smaller kids, toddlers, etc. She nips at them (playfully) and tries to knock them over. She just wants to play, nothing aggressive.

Obviously she would come with all of her supplies. A collar, a couple leashes, two beds, a soft travel crate (zipper broken), a hard kennel, a tall collapsible pen, bowls, toys, etc.
    She's also registered with the city up until October I believe. She has a microchip, and she's been spayed. I've always heard that you should charge to re-home your dog to ensure the person is serious about dog ownership - I don't want any financial gain out of this, but I would be extremely appreciative if you were to make a donation to the Humane Society or the local Beagle Rescue society if you adopt her.

This is really tough for me, but I need to re-home her to a great forever home where she will be happy. I would insist that she gets re-homed to an adult homeowner who has a fenced yard and who is established in their life. Breed-specific experience or knowledge would be great too. Please PM me to let me know if you're interested, to meet her, or to get more information.

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

Sorry to hear about the bad luck dave, hope things work out well for you and your dog
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

Obviously not a decision you have taken lightly, I can tell from the posting and there is no way anyone can think you have not thought this through a hundred ways before taking this step. You've sorted out all the issues with the dog, the new owner would only need to follow instructions, you've saved someone so much trial and error not to mention vet bills. I know as I've spent the last three years getting my adopted dog to a place where what he eats is not going to cause issues. A breed-specific rescue agency as you mention would be a solid alternative, I cannot imagine you going the kijiji or shelter way, these can be so bad.

Perhaps post a notice at the office of the vet you have been seeing. Adopting an older, well cared for dog has so many advantages. I'd take her in a heartbeat, had I the extra space.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

If I had grass in the back yard, and Baygirl was not afraid of anything that slobbers, (well, she did get used to me), I would consider it.

They do make good family pets, and as they age, can become more docile. I love me a beagle!
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    Kia Sportage

Very sad, hope you can find a great home for her. Beagles are such great dogs!

Thanks guys. I appreciate the kind words and support. She's a great pup and I know someone will really enjoy her.

My Ride
    Highlander

Awww, giant hugs Dave! I know how much you love her! Really hoping for a great home!

My Ride
    starts with a screwdriver...

I had to give up my Beagle last year and I cried like a girl for 2 days. Beagles are amazing dogs and are very affectionate. A very good, loyal dog for anyone who is considering. If my backyard was fenced i would take her in a second. Sorry to hear about your luck.
    I MAKE BALLER CARS MORE BALLER.....

Unfortunately, I've signed a surrender contract with the Calgary Chapter of Beagle Paws so they can properly place her with the best-possible forever home. Casey is staying with me for the next couple days, but she's now "their" dog, so all inquiries need to go through them. They do have a family interested in her for mid-August and they're working to get a foster family set up in the meantime.

If you're interested in Casey, you can go to the Beagle Paws website and contact their Calgary chapter.
    www.beaglepaws.com

If anyone would like the direct contact information for the Calgary chapter, please contact me using PM.

Mods, can you please close this thread to further comment? Thanks!

My Ride
    kryptonian meteorite

Originally posted by Davetronz
    Unfortunately, I've signed a surrender contract with the Calgary Chapter of Beagle Paws so they can properly place her with the best-possible forever home. Casey is staying with me for the next couple days, but she's now "their" dog, so all inquiries need to go through them. They do have a family interested in her for mid-August and they're working to get a foster family set up in the meantime.

If you're interested in Casey, you can go to the Beagle Paws website and contact their Calgary chapter.
    www.beaglepaws.com

If anyone would like the direct contact information for the Calgary chapter, please contact me using PM.

Mods, can you please close this thread to further comment? Thanks!
    I was just going to recommend you talk to beagle paws, my girlfriend volunteers with them and we always take her dogs to the beagle paws 'renunions' good luck with everything hope the next owners give your dog a good home!