Quantcast
Truck Shopping.. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 9 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Truck Shopping..

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

Default Truck Shopping..

Yes, it's finally happening. I'm shopping for a truck. Going to prep and sell the 2011 Outlander XLS, and pretty much decided on an F150. I'm thinking the FX4 Crewcab, Ecoboost, and the 402A option group.

spikers has graciously accepted an offer to come shopping with me, so I'm not going to be on my own, but if anyone else has any advice, or knows of a smoking deal, let me know. Our basic requirements are leather (kids & dog), the upgraded stereo (for me), and the tow package + backup cam (wife's requirements). I think it's all covered in the 402A package. I'm not certain about getting the Ford spray in, or folding tonnea, as I suspect they'll be cheaper/better with some aftermarket ones.

Advice? Thoughts?

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

My Ride
    99 Blazer

New? I just picked myself a 2011 lariat with low kms a Toyota dealership at a good price. I wasn't a fan of the ecoboost but the one I drove had a 6.5 ft box, which iIalso ddidn't like. The 5.0 gets pretty close to the same mileage, and some might say better. I'm definitely not as this is my first v8 and the sound is awesome haha.

I forgot to say if you go used chances are that stuff is already added at no cost to you, I got the spray in and a back flip cover on mine, but otherwise spikers below is probably right.
    Last edited by Black Gts; 07-21-2013 at 02:47 PM.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

I went the aftermarket route with the bedliner and tonneau cover. There is a Beyonder that offered me the Line-X spray in for a smoking deal, and I got my tonneau cover off kijiji for $400 which is about $5-600 cheaper than buying new, and it only had one minor dent.

To have Ford Line-x the truck, I was looking at $500 and $1200 for them to install the tonneau cover.

Honestly Codetrap, you have built a really sweet truck, and I am totally jealous if you get it.

We will talk more tomorrow.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

and I know you and I already discussed it, but for anyone else thinking about picking up one of these trucks...

the EB engine is fucking awesome. The mileage in these are pretty awesome. In the summer we are getting 12l/100kms and using winter gas, it drops to 14l/100kms. For any truck, that is really great gas mileage.

However, when I tow our trailer, my wallet screams in protest as the mileage drops to 28-30l/100kms.

so for 99/100 days, everything is awesome.

But I have a feeling it is more due to the fact I am running the 3.15 gears in the rear diff, that gearing is meant for mileage. When you put a load on there, the engine has to work harder, thus I am in boost more often, and burning more gas.

By getting the max tow package, you get 3.73 gearing, or even just getting the 3.55 gearing, your every day mileage will be a bit worse, but your towing mileage will be better.

I suspect by having the max tow package you are going to get better resale, but it will be negated by your extra fuel use.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

^ For a gas truck, you really can't argue with those fuel economy numbers. I'd stick to a lower rear end. I have 4:10's in my other truck and fuck I hate it. The engine is at 3250 just to do 120 down the highway, which just kills the fuel economy. As expensive as it is to replace a rear end, Im doing it anyway, as the fuel savings in the long term justify it.

So sure trailer towing will suffer, but for a in-the-city truck, Thats way better of a choice. Good choice on the F150, their wicked trucks.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    Has wheels

I'm another advocate for the EB. Love mine, I'd have to look up your package code but it sounds similar to what I have. Full load, sunroof, power sliding rear glass, max tow w/3:73s, leather(heated/cooled), upgraded sound, back up cam, 6.5ft box. As far as fuel economy goes, I usually fill just below a 1/4 tank and I've run 700+ kms. I've only towed once with the truck, my pals 03 mustang to the track and the truck had no issues at all, barely seemed like anything was behind the truck.

As I said, really happy with the truck the only gripe I have is no V8 rumble but I can live with that. I'm actually taking her on a nice long roadie across the country and back in a weeks time, can't wait!

My Ride
    2009 F150 Lariat supercrew

awesome choice! the FX4 is just an off road package and wont ride near as nice as the lariat.... whatever you do get the MAX TOW!!!! its worth it trust me even if you dont plan to tow it will help with resale.... i totally recomend the tow mirrors as well!

i went the used route 18mnths ago, 09 lariat crew had a ton of ad ons!had 55k and picked it up for $27,500 the down size is the 5.4 i would have much rather had the ecoboost..... good luck with your shopping and a side note my backflip cover was $1050 installed... not always available on kijiji
    2009 Ford f150 Lariat crewcab-mine
    2003 chevy venture-wifes
    1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee-31's,2inch lift,cb 362,000kms and running great!

1996 Pontiac Grand Am GT- 18's, Body Kit, system SOLD
    2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac-Family Hauler SOLD
    1996 Volvo 850 turbo-SOLD

wow, I really thought the EB would get better mileage than that. My F350 diesel gets almost as good empty (14l/100km) but is way better towing (18l/100km)

My Ride
    Trucks

Make sure to buy the truck from a dealer you really trust:

http://www.f150forum.com/f70/first-time-my-eco-blew-up-208912

My Ride
    2022 X2M

Originally posted by hedge
    wow, I really thought the EB would get better mileage than that. My F350 diesel gets almost as good empty (14l/100km) but is way better towing (18l/100km)
    I think it very truck and option specific. I was going to go ford but with the options i was looking at I was able to save over 10k going with a Ram due to a personal relationship. My current gas mileage is 14.8/100km day to day and 20.2-24.8/100km when towing my trailer depending on if I'm water loaded or not. I do not race to red lights and have the 8speed with the 3.92 rear end.

I think the EB engine is a great buy and don't think anyone can go wrong getting a F150 currently as they are pretty well built. I also agree with the comments that getting the tow package and a high rear end will really help your resale down the line.
    E .· ` ' / ·. F
    Your tears fuel me

My Ride
    is faster than yours

Originally posted by hedge
    Me too...my 06 Duramax got 13L/100km stock and 11L/100km with a tune and 4" exhaust.

My Ride
    Treg/B7

Originally posted by Kavy

I think it very truck and option specific. I was going to go ford but with the options i was looking at I was able to save over 10k going with a Ram due to a personal relationship. My current gas mileage is 14.8/100km day to day and 20.2-24.8/100km when towing my trailer depending on if I'm water loaded or not. I do not race to red lights and have the 8speed with the 3.92 rear end.

I think the EB engine is a great buy and don't think anyone can go wrong getting a F150 currently as they are pretty well built. I also agree with the comments that getting the tow package and a high rear end will really help your resale down the line.
    Agree, I bought a Ram Sport with similar options to a FX4 for 10g less. I get about 15L/100 with the 5.7L and cannot say I am easy on the gas. I have a 2012 but 2013 is even nicer with a couple more nice features. Drive both but for the price and options I think Ram is tough to beat.

For me the slight increase of fuel savings with the ford would not have paid itself off considering the 10g difference in price when comparing similarly optioned trucks. Price difference might be max 500 a year in fuel savings.

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

^ Im still so ridiculously jealous of those numbers. Frick.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I get around 40 l/100 km on my 5.4L F150 when I'm towing my camping trailer. Although I always seem to be going into a headwind, lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    99 Blazer

I want to get a camper now that I have truck. Fuck that lol.. my last tank has been 14.2/100 kms with a highway mix. my last two were 15/100. Like I said though I just got it and love the grumble A co worker tells me he gets 13ish all city.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Are you in a rush? The incentives will only get better in September and you will likely see the return of $1000 cash from Costco.

My guess is that you could probably get about $13-$15K of MSRP if you wait another month or so.

My dad has the F150 FX4 Crewcab with Ecoboost and I've put a few thousand km's on it for him. Great truck, motor has plenty of power and is well-behaved. In a hurry on the highway it takes 17L/100km, when taking it reasonable 14L/100km. Towing a camping trailer once it took 27L/100km. My only complaint is that the intercooler is mounted quite low in the front, which limits offroading. Not sure about his bedliner but he got this folding hard cover thingy:

Last edited by toor; 07-21-2013 at 09:26 PM.

My Ride
    99 Blazer

Originally posted by toor
    In a hurry on the highway it takes 17L/100km, when taking it reasonable 14L/100km. ]
    That has to be wrong please define "reasonable" and "in a hurry" lol.
    I was 12L/100 km on my my first trip being "reasonable" crew cab as well.
    Last edited by Black Gts; 07-21-2013 at 09:37 PM.

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

Originally posted by benyl
    Are you in a rush? The incentives will only get better in September and you will likely see the return of $1000 cash from Costco.

My guess is that you could probably get about $13-$15K of MSRP if you wait another month or so.
    I'm not at this time. However I want to start the process, and my next door neighbor just offered me his $1k off friends and family. I also want to sell my Mitsubishi privately, so I have to pay it off to clear the lien, and then that get's much simpler. I'm seeing numbers all over the place for it, everywhere from $20-$26k in the private sales. Also, I noticed that used vehicles on kijiji are moving super fast right now. Wondering if that's due to the flood and people just replacing vehicles as fast as they can. Might be a good time to sell vs trade.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

My Ride
    cbr600, z71 sierra, 4x4 kodiak

Originally posted by Black Gts

That has to be wrong please define "reasonable" and "in a hurry" lol.
    I was 12L/100 km on my my first trip being "reasonable" crew cab as well.
    reasonable - 10 over speed limit, in a hurry- 49 over?

You guys must have a light foot to hardly get better mileage on highway.

I go from 20L/100km city to my most recent trip to Invermere getting 12.5L/100km with some offroading.

Kinda sad the 5.7 gets better mileage than my 4.7
    Hittin' every hole

1999 gmc sierra z71, 5.3L 4x4
    2004 cbr600f4i
    2008 kodiak 450

Page 1 of 9 1 2 ... LastLast