Quantcast
Recommend someone to fix fence and deck - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Recommend someone to fix fence and deck

My Ride
    Upass

Default Recommend someone to fix fence and deck

Our fence is leaning pretty bad, actually one section fell over completely and has just been tacked back up with a piece of 2x4 to keep it attached to the section next to it.

I am looking for someone to bust open the old concrete, put in a new 4x4 post and fix up the other parts of the fence that are leaning.

Also looking to take the railing off the deck and install bench seating all around.

Any recommendations from beyond?

I did a search and there are a few threads asking about people to drill new holes, but I am looking to get an existing fence fixed up as well as modify the deck.
    Last edited by Nav13; 07-21-2013 at 09:03 PM.

How are the rest of the posts? It might be time to just rebuild the whole thing

My Ride
    Upass

I've debated just redoing the whole thing, but it seems like over kill since it seems like only 3 posts are causing the issue.

It's a corner house so there's 3 sides to the fence. The side shared with out neighbor is in great shape. The other 2 not so much. Over all the boards are okay, just a few shitty posts.

If the cost to repair it is going to be even half the cost of a new fence, I will just replace the entire thing. But I need a few people to give me quotes to determine that.
    Last edited by Nav13; 07-21-2013 at 09:14 PM.

My Ride
    4x4

Sam - 403-383-2707

Still on the fence, if you use him - post a review here... I do some work for him here and there - I've seen his fences and decks - they look better than most. But no knowledge of customer service / etc; so I've been hesitant to post a reference.

My Ride
    Upass

Thanks man, gonna try fixing it myself, but if it proves too difficult I'll give him a call.

Still open to other referrals though.

My Ride
    911 & Cayenne

You're going to be hard pressed to find a good contractor that's willing to do a job like that.

It's WAY WAY WAYYYYY harder to knock out posts, replace in the exact same spot (panels are built to size) and make look remotely decent then it is to just redo it from scratch and offset existing posts by a foot.

I was in the deck and fence industry for a very long time and everyone who is good is busy right now and if they're willing to take on the job then they're going to just charge as much as building new.

Just rebuild the whole thing, posts usually hold up for at least 10-15 years, so if they're rotten/tipping that's a clear indication the whole fence needs to be done.
    We stopped checking for monsters under our beds when we realized they were inside us.

My Ride
    FIAT SPORT

+1 ^^^^

I do decks and fences as well when I have time. Just redid a whole side of fence about a month ago. We cut down the old posts and redid new posts 1 foot offset from the old one.

My Ride
    Upass

Yea I started looking into it now that I am back home from the field and like you guys said it's not worth a contractors time to fix it. It might make sense for me to give it a shot. Here's a few pics let me know what you think? I can rent an jack hammer from Home depot to bust up the old concrete. I would pretty much take down the entire fence and redo the post and put it back up again. Like I said most of the posts are still in good shape, just a few have crapped out or am I under estimating how big of a job it is to break up the old concrete?

If so what am I looking at to get a new fence put in? There's 13 sections in total. I'll bust out the measuring tape if the sections don't come in a standard size.

Last edited by Nav13; 07-23-2013 at 07:33 PM.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

the fence was all built at the same time. If a couple posts have rotted out and broken, the rest won't be far behind.

sections are usually 8 feet as a standard.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

What's a typical price for a straight forward fence per linear foot?
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Beyond, bunch of creme puffs on this board.
    Everything I say is satire.

My Ride
    FIAT SPORT

You need to calculate by section.

2 to 3 bags of concrete per post.
    3 2x4x8
    3 1x4x8
    2 4x4x10
    And fence boards depending on what size you are using
    Just do the math via 8 feet.

This doesn't include brackets if your going to use them
    Screws or nail gun

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

cheaper to build it from pressure treated wood, but vinyl fences are about as good as it gets, and an 8' panel can be between 2-400 depending on style and manufacturer. If you can wait a bit longer, all these outdoor things will be going on sale.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    Upass

Well I took your guys advice and decided to rebuild the entire thing. Should have it all knocked down and taken to the dump by today. Gonna offset the posts by a foot and make a news one like you guys suggested. Do I need to call the city to mark any under ground lines if I am offsetting the post just a foot?

The big decision is what type of wood to use also. Im leaning towards cedar to avoid having to paint the damn thing every 2-3 years but it's gonna look some what odd having 2 sides cedar and one side (side shared with neighbor) the old style. I am hoping they will redo their fence in cedar too soon. Gonna talk to them tomorrow.

What is this vinyl fence you speak of. Sounds maintenance free. I didn't see it at Rona or home depot.

My Ride
    FIAT SPORT

Just leave it as it is and don't stain or paint. Once you do any of these our winter will just eat through it. It doesn't hurt to call AB first call if you are not sure where your lines are.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Where in the city do you live? I have a post hole auger/cement mixer you can rent. It's cheap, all I charge is some beer. (And you can pay for the gas)

My Ride
    Upass

Cool, just put in my request in at Alberta one call. Homespun I live in the NW in Edgemont. I might just hire someone to come drill the holes and maybe even install the new posts. Depends how far backed booked most people are.