Quantcast
Lawn Mowers: What To Get?? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Lawn Mowers: What To Get??

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Default Lawn Mowers: What To Get??

Been living in a condo for so long and now finally getting my own house its time to start mowing my lawn. No idea what to get and any good deals?

All I know so far is get one with a Honda engine. Is Briggs & Stratton ones just as okay? Looking for something under $500. Or should I spend a litte more and never have to replace again kinda deal.

Any tips Thanks in Advance

Size of lawn is small. Small strip on left side, small strip on right side. Since house is front attached garage. But big backyard so all grass.
    Last edited by dj_rice; 07-23-2013 at 04:20 PM.
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

I bought a sears B&S one in 2005. I take care of it. It works perfectly.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

If you have a mid sized or smaller lawn, consider getting electric. The maintenence is pretty much zero. I have a small lawn, and even messing aroud with the electrical cords is way less hassle than the upkeep of a gas mower.

Then again, some people find lawnmower maintenence relaxing. I'm not one of those people.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Home Depot Cub Cadet http://www.homedepot.ca/product/cub-...r-160cc/818252

On sale now for under $500.00 and it has a Honda 160cc

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    If you have a mid sized or smaller lawn, consider getting electric. The maintenence is pretty much zero. I have a small lawn, and even messing aroud with the electrical cords is way less hassle than the upkeep of a gas mower.

Then again, some people find lawnmower maintenence relaxing. I'm not one of those people.
    +1 for electric. I picked up a Solaris cordless on clearance from HD 3 years ago, about as maintenance free as you can get, super quiet and no exhaust smell. Batteries are still going strong and I have a fairly big lot (pie). I just pop them into the mower and pop them out to charge when done. The biggest hassle is moving the batteries and charger into my basement over the winter.
    heloc that shit

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

http://www.costco.ca/Poulan-Pro%c2%a...100041099.html

http://www.costco.ca/Poulan-Pro%c2%a....10366062.html

I was looking at these 2. Honda engine and from Costco, since Costco warranty/returns.

Does brand really matter or is it mainly the engine is the important thing?
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    oooo

After talking to a member on here that is a lawnmower mechanic I found out that they are all made by pretty much 1 of 2 manufacturers.

None are really good any more unless you get a commercial one $$$$.

Personally I would even get a used one off of Kijiji, change the plug and oil in it and you will be good.
    2017 VW Jetta 1.4T (winter car)
    2010 F-350 Nortruck Tool Shed
    2007 BMW 5 (Wifey's)
    2004 Audi A4 1.8T 6spd Stage III w/ Meth
    1985 F-250 6.9L IDI w/ATS turbo

For a small area, I think a corded electric mower would be better than a battery powered one.

They always design the battery powered ones with lead acid batteries, which need to be constantly trickle charged or else they die. Even then, they never seem to last more than 5 years. Im pretty sure the maintenance cost on the battery powered ones will exceed gas powered due to battery replacement costs. Oil changes, spark plugs, and air filters are cheap maintenance...but a bit more mechanically involved than swapping out a battery.

Corded? I always laugh when I see people cutting their lawn with those....what a pain in the ass.

My Ride
    21 CX5 GT Turbo

If you can find an older Honda those things are bullet proof, I am talking about ones from late 80s to early 90's.

We have one at home that is from the mid 80's, we put it in the shed at the end of the summer and bring it back out in the spring. We don't do anything to it and it fires up every year without any issues. I think the model is like a HR214 or something similar.

Haven't changed the oil or spark plug in years. The only issue it has is when the grass is really long or really wet.

They just don't make them like they used to

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

Avoid Briggs and Shiton. Their garbage, I remember taking apart an engine when I was 9, since with a bent shaft it was junk. The cam gear and cam lobes were made of plastic. It's like, really?

For engines, stick to Kohler, Honda, Kawasaki or Suburu. Nothing else. We have a B & S mower from 1992 that still works, but it's never been beaten on in the least. I'd recommend watching out on the HD specials for a Husqvarna mower with a Honda engine. You can't go wrong, and their from the high $300-$500 range. They'll last forever and always be very easy to start. Toro also makes wicked mowers, but those are $$$$$$$
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    Subaru Outback

I've got an electric corded mower. As long as your yard isn't too big, the cord management is fine. If it's large with lots of trees or obstacles to go around, you will be cursing the cord getting caught on everything.

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

Originally posted by dj_rice
    http://www.costco.ca/Poulan-Pro%c2%a...100041099.html

http://www.costco.ca/Poulan-Pro%c2%a....10366062.html

I was looking at these 2. Honda engine and from Costco, since Costco warranty/returns.

Does brand really matter or is it mainly the engine is the important thing?
    I've had the cheaper of those 2 for about 6 years. Great mower. It's $299 in store if they still have stock.

My theory for lawn equipment is you buy a good engine with the least amount of fancy crap that can break (self propelled, attachments etc).

Originally posted by mix123
    Corded? I always laugh when I see people cutting their lawn with those....what a pain in the ass.
    I have one and I agree a pain in the ass. I wouldn't do it again. Waiting for it to die so I can go cordless or gas.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Originally posted by lint

+1 for electric. I picked up a Solaris cordless on clearance from HD 3 years ago, about as maintenance free as you can get, super quiet and no exhaust smell. Batteries are still going strong and I have a fairly big lot (pie). I just pop them into the mower and pop them out to charge when done. The biggest hassle is moving the batteries and charger into my basement over the winter.
    Got the same one during the same sale.

2000 sqft of lawn. Can mow it twice before needing a recharge.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

We have a small lawn as well and while we have a corded model, we tend to use a manual push mower the most.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

I have a gas mower, works great! I use roughly 10l of gas per year. I cut my grass once a week. Starts first pull every time.

The cheapest mowers will last forever with maintenance. Get one with a big bag, use good gas, drain the carb when storing, change the oil yearly, check the plug and air filter yearly and replace as needed, keep the underside of the deck clean, and sharpen and balance the blade as needed.

Unless you intend to pass that mower down through the generations, or it's an image thing, there's no reason to spend over $500 on a mower. By that time Monsanto will have a grass patent that stops growing at exactly 2 7/8" and doesn't need water anyway.

If your going to get a self propelled mower I'd recommend getting a rwd or 4wd the fwd mowers struggle a bit on anything but the most flat and even terrain.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Originally posted by RX-7_TWINTURBO
    If your going to get a self propelled mower I'd recommend getting a rwd or 4wd the fwd mowers struggle a bit on anything but the most flat and even terrain.
    Lets not promote laziness.

Push your fucking mower, get a little exercise.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast