Quantcast
Puppy Classes - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Puppy Classes

My Ride
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX

Default Puppy Classes

I have an awesome 12 week old English bulldog puppy. He's pretty awesome and the house training is going pretty good. He's starting to get more confidence and becoming more mischievous.

I figure it's time to get him into a puppy class. Wondering if anyone can recommend a good puppy school for little Boris. Thanks!

I went with Sit Happens and am pretty happy with the results

My Ride
    2013 FR-S

I tried Sit Happens but I didn't find their techniques worked for my puppy. Treat based and clicker based is great if your dog likes food but my dog is more interested in meeting other dogs and people than treats.

Plus, I'm not going to carry a bag of treats with me everywhere I go...

My Ride
    M3P

I had a dog trainer come to my house a couple times and found her very helpful.

She observes how you act and react to your dogs behavior and teaches you the correct ways to correct any thing that is wrong.

She was trained at the Cesar Milan school in LA.

PM if you want her details, found it relatively inexpensive and she is super nice.

My Ride
    Cayman, F150, Crosstour

Took my puppy to Sit Happens also.

Their techniques did work, and she is better behaved than she was before. Clicker based - which I'm not a big fan off. Just don't find it practical.

For $385 I found the courses to be very repetitive, and several times was the only person that showed up for a class - so much for socializing the dog.

If I did it again, I would find a place where I could do drop in classes from the start...

My Ride
    2013 FR-S

Originally posted by hurrdurr
    I had a dog trainer come to my house a couple times and found her very helpful.

She observes how you act and react to your dogs behavior and teaches you the correct ways to correct any thing that is wrong.

She was trained at the Cesar Milan school in LA.

PM if you want her details, found it relatively inexpensive and she is super nice.
    If I had known of this option back then I would have definitely used this instead.

My Ride
    Silverado

Human society had good puppy classes. Girlfriends dog web there. Recalls 100%, knows to go, come, stay, heels. Wouldn't need a leash except her breed intimidates people.

My Ride
    Born in Stuttgart

I used hyperhouds which was pretty good, I know a ton of people that have used clevar canines with great success

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

A Beyond member owns the Pawsitively Natural store on 16th Ave SW (basically right behind 1410). I've heard nothing but good things about him, though I don't own a dog so I know nothing about this stuff.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    M3P

We've used them for daycare but not for anything else

edit: Is it the Asian guy?
    Last edited by hurrdurr; 07-26-2013 at 02:06 PM.

My Ride
    2022 X2M

I went to sit happens twice, made my wife go to the rest of the classes because I didn't like the clicker and our dog recalled, sat, etc on command so I wasn't interested in standing around feeding her for things she already knew.

One downside of my experience at sit happens was that there is some absolutely terrible owners and my dog picked up some bad habits from their dogs. For a full year my dog barked maybe once or twice a week and it took a bird or squirrel in my yard to make her do so. After 2 classes at sit happens and all the crazy barking for no reason Chihuahua's my Golden developed a habit of barking at EVERYONE. She doesn't bark repeatedly but whenever she sees someone she lets out a bark and walks over to them, not gonna lie it fucking pisses me off. She has been that way now for 2 months and now I'm trying to find a way to correct this behavior because it has started to grow into her letting out a bark when someone walks by the front window. She is like a sensor light for the front porch.

On a side note to my story if someone has a suggestion on curbing this behavior let me know.

+1 on the Humane Society, I have heard several good things.
    E .· ` ' / ·. F
    Your tears fuel me

My Ride
    2013 FR-S

Originally posted by Kavy

One downside of my experience at sit happens was that there is some absolutely terrible owners and my dog picked up some bad habits from their dogs. For a full year my dog barked maybe once or twice a week and it took a bird or squirrel in my yard to make her do so. After 2 classes at sit happens and all the crazy barking for no reason Chihuahua's my Golden developed a habit of barking at EVERYONE. She doesn't bark repeatedly but whenever she sees someone she lets out a bark and walks over to them, not gonna lie it fucking pisses me off. She has been that way now for 2 months and now I'm trying to find a way to correct this behavior because it has started to grow into her letting out a bark when someone walks by the front window. She is like a sensor light for the front porch.

On a side note to my story if someone has a suggestion on curbing this behavior let me know.

http://www.humanesociety.org/animals...p_barking.html

We are going to DOGMA with our puppy and are very happy with their program.

My Ride
    Silverado

Originally posted by Kavy
    ....She doesn't bark repeatedly but whenever she sees someone she lets out a bark and walks over to them, not gonna lie it fucking pisses me off. She has been that way now for 2 months and now I'm trying to find a way to correct this behavior because it has started to grow into her letting out a bark when someone walks by the front window. She is like a sensor light for the front porch...
    I'm not sure if that's a bad thing entirely. Our dog will bark a few times when people walk up our sidewalk. Good to instill some fear in the salesman. lol. When I aproach the door to open it she stops barking and removes herself from the area. Having her bark at passerbys would definitely grow tiring though for sure.