Quantcast
Fighting a speeding ticket from a photo radar van? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fighting a speeding ticket from a photo radar van?

My Ride
    Bmw 528i

Default Fighting a speeding ticket from a photo radar van?

Hey guys, I was hoping to get some tips from fighting a speeding ticket. I was doing 100/110 on a 80 zone on macleod trial when a van parked on the side took a picture of my car.

2 flashes occured when this happened. one was for the car in front of me that was speeding as well, and i believe the 2nd flash was for me. the 2nd flashed occurred after 2 seconds. There was also a car behind me that was speeding but slammed on the brake just in time lol.

Should I fight this ticket? Any tips in disputing it? will this affect my insurance rate ?

My Ride
    2015 Ram 1500

wrong section, but anyway...

Bottom line is that you were speeding. You already said you know you were speeding when you said you were doing 100 - 110. Most likely this was the van with the decals all over it identifying it as a traffic enforcement van? how little attention do you have to be paying to get tagged by that thing? But anyway, I'm sure Toma will be all over this in the morning going on about how you should fight every ticket, but in reality, you're guilty. There's no demerits with a photo radar ticket, so you're really getting off pretty easy with nothing other than a lighter wallet.

I'm not sure why you mentioned that the guy behind you slammed on the brakes. Does that person hitting their brakes somehow affect how fast you were going?
    Originally posted by HeavyD
    you know you are making the right decision if Toma opposes it.

Originally posted by Go4Long
    I'm not sure why you mentioned that the guy behind you slammed on the brakes. Does that person hitting their brakes somehow affect how fast you were going?
    Three wrongs make a right?
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    G6

DId you even get a ticket mailed to you yet? Based on not knowing the speed I'm guessing not. Don't stress about it until you get it. If they do issue one and it shows only your car in the pic, you're screwed. It won't affect your insurance though cuz they can't issue demerits (can't prove you were driving).

My Ride
    Gets me to lease

The city is a BMW owners own personal race track.
    On Sabbatical

Tell the judge you are a member of Beyond and he/she will give you the full member discount. You can only use this once a year though.

My Ride
    2015 Ram 1500

lol
    Originally posted by HeavyD
    you know you are making the right decision if Toma opposes it.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Yes fight it, just deny everything.

Say this, "That wasn't me, I don't even have a car. It's all a conspiracy of the government trying to shut me up and I won't. Freedommmmmm!"

My Ride
    Nothing

It always amazes me how those vans can park on the side of MacLeod (I'm assuming around Canyon Meadows since that's the only place I ever see them trolling) and it's just a constant 'click click click click click click click' every few seconds. How stupid do you have to be to be caught by a photo radar van in an obvious place like that.

I can understand getting caught when they did sneaky stuff like parking the van amoungst other cars on the shoulder in Acadia and catching people, but damn, he's on the side of a major road in broad daylight
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

The photo radar ticket is a registered owner ticket so it will not have any effect on your insurance/driving record etc.

If you have absolutely nothing better to do then yes of course you should go down and dispute the ticket. They'll almost always offer you a reduced fine to save on court time. Only you can determine if it is worth the time to go down to get it reduced.
    ---

My Ride
    F10M/F87/NA2/W220/V90/E46ZHP/SE3P/DC2

^^ I wonder if they can give you a demerits then if you claimed that you drove the car...

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

These tickets are an idiot tax. If you still get caught by these, you're a moron and deserve to lose the money.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    Bmw 528i

I will let you guys know if I got the ticket in the mail or not this week

Wait to see if you got the ticket, if you did, this is simple to fight. I don't think you deserve my knowledge though
    "Uptight user on beyond.ca" - Micheal Platt

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Simple lesson to learn in the City of Calgary :

DONT DRIVE MORE THAN 11KPH OVER THE LIMIT (thats what the speed cameras are set to)

My Ride
    V167

In the family we have had multiple photo radar + speed on green tickets over the years. Every single one has been instantly thrown out after showing up at court. Can't recall the exact speeds on those given offences, but they were definitely less than your 20+ over

If time vs money is not an issue take it to court. Helps to have a retired family member in this case....

Experience should go as follows:
    1. Judge calls your name
    2. "Sir your charges have been dismissed"

They don't care about your "thank you", they move on to the next case before you have a chance to open your mouth.

100% success rate x 5+ episodes. Takes about 10 minutes.

I don't condone speeding, but I do not like to see my wallet emptied over stupid traps in areas where the limit changes depending on how much the city needs to profit in a given year (southwest residents may remember a particular stretch of James Mckevitt which went from 60...to 50...and then 60 within a couple hundred meters). Now that whole stretch is 60 despite traffic being 10x what it was back in the day with a HUGE increase in accidents. ????

Best of luck.

If your charges are being dismissed like that every time, you may be the luckiest man in the city. I am assuming the ticketing officer is not showing up every time.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Haha yeah you are pretty lucky nismodrifter. I find that cops are showing up more often than before.

Anyone dealt with a case where there was video evidence from the cruiser (and the video was unclear to show if you're guilty or not)? Did the cop even show up, and do they even play the video in court even though your ticket says there is video evidence?

The reason I ask is a lot of times there is evidence but it never makes it to court and ends up being not used. However, I never dealt with this in a traffic situation.
    Last edited by Disoblige; 08-06-2013 at 09:31 AM.

That would be 100% up to the cop I suppose. If he brings it, it's there. I can't imagine him showing up and not having it.

Originally posted by Disoblige
    The reason I ask is a lot of times there is evidence but it never makes it to court and ends up being not used. However, I never dealt with this in a traffic situation.
    I don't think they deal with video evidence at all in traffic court. When I showed up to fight my ticket with my dashcam footage I asked which TV I can use to play my video and nobody had a clue (court clerk, police officer and crown).

Never did get to play my video in the end as the crown and officer had a chat after I mentioned the video and it never ended up going to trial.

---

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast