Quantcast
LF: Ford Technician - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: LF: Ford Technician

My Ride
    Pushbroom

Lightbulb LF: Ford Technician

Just bought a brand new F-150 FX4. Looking for a Ford tech who can go into the PCM and disable my daytime running lights.

Yes, disabling DRL's is LEGAL in Canada, and I don't want to hear the merits of having them. I have disabled them on all my vehicles. Post here or PM me if you're able to help me out. Thanks!

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Rat Fink is a Ford tech is he not?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Default Re: LF: Ford Technician

Originally posted by Maxx Mazda
    Yes, disabling DRL's is LEGAL in Canada, and I don't want to hear the merits of having them. I have disabled them on all my vehicles. Post here or PM me if you're able to help me out. Thanks!
    Disabling DRL's is definately not legal in Alberta. Some of the other provinces might not have DRL in it's equipment laws, but in Alberta, we do.

http://www.qp.alberta.ca/documents/Regs/2009_122.pdf

43 If a motor vehicle is equipped with daytime running lamps installed by the manufacturer of the motor vehicle, the daytime running lamps must be maintained in good working order and to the manufacturer’s specifications.
    I got pulled over and warned about not having DRLs on my BS. Mercedes inadvertently left them off on the Canadian spec cars, and the workaround to turn them on doesn't work. Still have no DRLs, waiting to get pulled over again.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Default Re: Re: LF: Ford Technician

Originally posted by rage2

Disabling DRL's is definately not legal in Alberta. Some of the other provinces might not have DRL in it's equipment laws, but in Alberta, we do.

http://www.qp.alberta.ca/documents/Regs/2009_122.pdf

I was just coming to post that.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    05 GDB V.8 / ZX10R / T1-7L

Only way to do it is with the American as-built data from the US to reprogram the BCM, but you'll need to contact ford to get that.

Unless you can find some one with all the lines of programming for your trucks build and options.

It's far easier to add DRLs than the other way around.
    Last edited by RickDaTuner; 08-06-2013 at 12:37 PM.

My Ride
    Pushbroom

I thought it was illegal to sell a vehicle in Alberta without DRL's, but last time I checked it was not illegal to remove them from your own vehicle. Looks as though this has since changed.

That being said, however, I don't really care. I would still like to disable them, tickets be damned.

Rick, do you have any more information regarding this process? Everything I've been able to find is not definitive.

My Ride

The definitive answer is...

You need a Ford IDS, this unit costs $3k alone
    You need acces to inford.com you must be a technician for ford, or have a special agreement with ford.
    You need to contact ford tech support, again your need a ford tech ID and be registered with a ford dealership.
    You need due reason to be switching the BCM code from a Canadian one to the US, wanting to do it is not sufficient cause. Even when you import a us Veh to Canada they give you grief for doing it.
    Once you have all that you'll need a code to wipe the BCM and program it with the new parameters.

You can get the as built data from the same year, same model, same option truck from a us counterpart, but with out the special progrming code, it doesn't matter what you try the BCM will reject it because the checksum won't match for the coresponding vin. Ford has to change this on the central computer system, otherwise anytime you do a ECU update it will revert back to having DRLs.

As a consumer this cannot be done with out custom hardware interface and software.

If you really want to do this then get a us dealer to preprogram a BCM and then ship it out to you, but then you'll have to take it to your local dealer and have the key fobs re-programmed, along with a variety of different things, at the risk of them re-programming the BCM back to the Canadian spec
    Last edited by RickDaTuner; 08-06-2013 at 12:54 PM.

My Ride
    Pushbroom

Originally posted by RickDaTuner
    The definitive answer is...

You need a Ford IDS, this unit costs $3k alone
    You need acces to inford.com you must be a technician for ford, or have a special agreement with ford.
    You need to contact ford tech support, again your need a ford tech ID and be registered with a ford dealership.
    You need due reason to be switching the BCM code from a Canadian one to the US, wanting to do it is not sufficient cause. Even when you import a us Veh to Canada they give you grief for doing it.
    Once you have all that you'll need a code to wipe the BCM and program it with the new parameters.

You can get the as built data from the same year, same model, same option truck from a us counterpart, but with out the special progrming code, it doesn't matter what you try the BCM will reject it because the checksum won't match for the coresponding vin. Ford has to change this on the central computer system, otherwise anytime you do a ECU update it will revert back to having DRLs.

As a consumer this cannot be done with out custom hardware interface and software.

If you really want to do this then get a us dealer to preprogram a BCM and then ship it out to you, but then you'll have to take it to your local dealer and have the key fobs re-programmed, along with a variety of different things, at the risk of them re-programming the BCM back to the Canadian spec
    Thanks for the information. To your knowledge, is there any sort of hardware workaround? I know on the new trucks, everything is integrated, (hence why its no longer as simple as pulling a relay.)

As a side note, my truck is an FX4, but just a base FX4 with halogen headlights. The ones with the appearance package had the HID's and therefore the DRL's were integrated into the signal lamps. Is there any kind of workaround that would allow me to use the signal lamps instead of the headlights? You really seem to know your stuff.

My Ride

I was ford factory trained through the Ford ASSET program.

Only work around I can think of is disconnecting the factory wiring at the headlights for the low beams and installing another switch. This way high beams will still function.

The factory headlight switch will not handle any current, and sends a signal to the BCM based on resistance values.

You can try telling a dealer your moving to the US and get them to program your cluster and temp readings to Fahrenheit, IIRC you can switch the cluster and temp back to metric from the DIC.

My Ride
    Pushbroom

Thank you Rick for all the information. You have been very informative.

My Ride
    Pushbroom

Bump an old thread... I did some more research and apparently on a Canadian truck, there is still a setting in the "personality" section of the Ford IDS (whatever the programmer is called) that will allow the DRL's to be enabled or disabled, as it was an option on Canadian fleet vehicles. Can anyone provide any info to this effect? Rick, if you'd be interested in even trying (regardless of whether or not it actually works) shoot me a PM and I can compensate you for your time. On the ford truck forums there is lots of interest in this, and I'd like to put the issue to bed once and for all.

My Ride

Yup,

Your are right, there is even an option for allowing the truck to be placed in police more, which doesn't allow any lights on, unless they are commanded

The information I posted prior was for older builds, since then I have looked into this and opened up my eyes to the new protocols. You can pretty much disergard all that.

My Ride
    Pushbroom

Good news. Is there a way to "change" the DRL's to the turn signals? Like I posted earlier, my FX4 is a non-HID version, but wouldn't mind the amber DRL's. Just hate having the headlights on.

In police mode, will the auto lamps feature still work?

My Ride
    Pushbroom

Another question, do you know how to enter diagnostic mode on the radio? I've done it on the cluster by holding OK when I turn the key on, but last time I washed my truck the radio went into diagnostic mode (I have the 4" screen) and I have no idea what I did to get it to do that.

My Ride
    '16 F150 Lariat, 17 Shelby GT350, '21 Explorer ST

Hold the eject and fast forward button iirc

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Default Re: LF: Ford Technician

Originally posted by Maxx Mazda
    I have disabled them on all my vehicles. Post here or PM me if you're able to help me out. Thanks!
    Just curious as to why? I've disabled my DRLs but thats because I now run integrated daytime LEDs in my new headlight housings.

Headlights on during the day are proven to reduce accidents
    Last edited by revelations; 08-02-2014 at 10:37 PM.

My Ride
    Pushbroom

Hate DRL's that's why. If its cloudy or whatever ill run with just the fogs / parking lights on.

My Ride
    79 Country Squire 95 Deville 09 Jeep JK

Can't understand why the hate for DRL since you can't see your own while driving.

My Ride
    Ferrari

In my Super Duty it was just a relay you pull for each side. I wish it was that easy on the new cars.
    Life is too short to drive boring cars.

My Ride
    14 Viper

Originally posted by RickDaTuner
    Yup,

Your are right, there is even an option for allowing the truck to be placed in police more, which doesn't allow any lights on, unless they are commanded

The information I posted prior was for older builds, since then I have looked into this and opened up my eyes to the new protocols. You can pretty much disergard all that.
    Hey Rick,

Can a 2014 F350 be reprogrammed to have all the lights on when the truck is turned on?

Thx

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast