Quantcast
Warning: Never use Careful Movers - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Warning: Never use Careful Movers

My Ride
    1977 CB550

Default Warning: Never use Careful Movers

Crossposting this from reddit to warn people here as well.

I had to move last week, and wanted to treat myself to some movers instead of lugging everything around myself as I usually do . After reading some reviews and getting some recommendations, I eventually decided to use Careful Movers (1442742 Alberta Ltd) in Calgary to move my 1 bedroom apartment to another building literally right across the street.

Now, if anyone isn't aware, when you move out of one of these new apartment buildings, the person moving out generally needs to pay to reserve the elevator so that the move can happen quickly (in a 2 hour window). Unfortunately it's expensive ($160 in my case) and I had to do it twice - one for each building.
    Careful Movers were supposed to show up at 12:30 to start wrapping the very small amount of furniture I have (a single couch and mattress), so they would be ready for 1pm to use the elevator. Instead, me and security were standing around until 1pm with no word from the movers. I then called, and he said he was running late and would be there in 20-30 minutes. Almost one and a half hours later at 1:50, they showed up and were ready to move.

I then get a call at 4:30 from security at my new building saying that the movers aren't allowed to use the elevator because they took too long, and my reservation was over. Great. After expressing my frustration towards the head office of Careful Movers, I got a call back saying that the movers will hold on to my things until 8pm when it's not as busy, to which they can start loading up the elevator
    At this point, I've been wandering around downtown trying to kill time thinking that it would originally take about 3 hours, and now I've got to kill an additional 4 hours because these guys don't know how to schedule their time properly. I ended up at a friends house with and asked the movers to contact him when they were ready as my phone had died, and my charger was in a box. I get a phone call at about 8:30 saying they need the contract signed and I should head back. One thing to mention - I would have signed the contact when they arrived in my apartment, but they forgot to bring a pen (and of course all my stuff is packed up) so I had to hold on to it for the time being.

So I tell them I'll be 20 minutes (as I have to walk back) and they start texting my friend after 10 minutes asking where I was and that I need to come back asap. So I grab all my things in a hurry and book it back to my place, and I see the guys still unloading the truck. He keeps repeating to me that he needs the contract, and I'm trying to drill it into his head that he is wasting more of my time by calling me back thinking they were done, only to tell me that they still need another hour. Great, so I end up sitting with security in the lobby for close to an hour and a half, while the security guard is telling me these movers are some of the sloppiest movers he's ever seen (he's in charge of all of the moves for the building). Residents are trying to use the elevator to get to their homes, and the guys at Careful Movers are actually not letting them in the elevator so they can continue to move stuff in.

You'd think my lovely experience would be over by now, but when I go up to check on them, I see both of them with their shoes on dragging their crap around on my freshly shampooed white carpet. What's that smell? Oh it's a bottle of vinegar that they spilled in a box (which couldn't have possibly been spilled unless they were carrying it on their side). After him not cutting me a deal for the 10 hours of inconvenience he has caused me, he tells me that he can't accept credit card "at this hour". What does that even mean? Is MasterCard taking a break at 10pm? Last but not least, he couldn't find the keys to the other apartment, so he disappears for 15 minutes to which I hear the other guy saying he saw them on the ground by the truck when they came in. Ugh.

He said he's been doing it for 19 years or something, but it felt like this was his first day. The fact that they didn't discount the rate at all despite all this is actually mind blowing to me. I'm going to continue to spread this review to as many sites and people as possible so hopefully people can avoid using this hack of a company in the future.

TL : DR

Almost 2 hours late, delayed 4 hours, spilled goods, walked around freshly shampooed white carpet with shoes on, lied about not being able to take credit card, left my keys on the ground outside, refused to remove one hour off the entire bill after my entire day was ruined, broke my tv.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Calgary/comm..._moving_never/

Updates

Sunday, Aug 4th
    I just got a phone call from careful movers after seeing this post, and it looks like they are taking the first steps to resolve some of the issues. He's calling back tomorrow, I'll post another update after.

Monday, Aug 5th
    Today was the day he told me he was going to call back, and look at that, they never did! I'll be following up with them tomorrow.

Tuesday, Aug 6th
    Talked to Adam, he mentioned that the mover would meet me tonight to give me the receipt. He texted me once saying "free now?" then didn't respond to the next 4 messages saying I was available and ready to meet.

Wednesday, Aug 7th
    Sent an email, and left a message this morning saying that if they didn't respond to my emails or calls by 2pm, I would start the small claims process. I also got a lovely message from a CBC reporter saying she was interested in the story as well. I called them at 2pm today to follow up, and proceeded to get hung up on twice, after them telling me that Adam was "on vacation" and will be back by monday. That must have slipped his mind when I talked to him yesterday.

Looks like CBC is coming friday morning to do a story.
    Last edited by wildkarrde; 08-07-2013 at 03:06 PM.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

That is hilarious how they try to "resolve" the issue only to have made it worse and piss you off even more.

My Ride
    Blue boy

I was about to call them to schedule a move, looks like I will call someone else now

My Ride
    2020 Tacoma DCSB

*grabs the popcorn*

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Ah, I remember spotting a few familiar usernames in that reddit thread. Sucks that Careful Movers gave you the shaft so badly, hopefully you can recover your losses and get your TV fixed/replaced.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

A friend of mine had a similar experience with Citywide...

Seems you can't really win with moving companies.

Un f****in real. Some moving companies' antics make people in my line of work look like brain surgeons lol I hear similar stories on a regular basis from customers.

My Ride
    05 Civic

Ironic name considering the experience posted

My Ride
    RSX Type-S, 335i Coupe

Moving at the end of September so I can really appreciate the trouble you have saved me. Another moving company of my list of possibilities.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

With a name like that, what can go wrong lol?

My Ride
    TwoTurbos

Didn't read the whole post but I used them my last move as well.

I asked the three man crew to be extremely careful when moving the stuff into my new place as it was brand new and I am not the owner of the town house.

Anyway they completed the move and I did a post move inspection and everything looked ok. What I didn't notice is the fact that they slid the hallway carpet about two feet back to hide the enormous scratch they put into the tile flooring.

Called and called them trying to get an answer and to get someone out to check the damage.

Eventually I got so fed up with trying that I just quit calling.

Hindsight it is my fault for not looking thoroughly enough before they took off, but the fact that they completely ignore these issues after the fact is extremely douchey.

My Ride
    Car

Has anybody actually had a good experience with movers? I've been planning on using on my next move but after all the nightmare stories I've been hearing lately I might just have to forgo my laziness

I have customers ask us to move all the time, which we don't do. I've always recommended Red Mile Moving or Mountain Movers, never got any negative feedback.

My Ride
    TDi

I'm moving this week but luckily I don't need to hire a mover for my stuff. My brother does and I will make sure to let him know about this company.

DO NOT USE Careful Movers in Calgary
    GO FLAMES GO!

My Ride
    TwoTurbos

Oh and to add to my story... About an hour after they had finished my move one of the three dipshit movers called me and informed me that he left his car keys etc. in my old house in Airdrie... so needless to say I had to drive all the way back to get his keys for him.. BRUTAL

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by A790
    A friend of mine had a similar experience with Citywide...

Seems you can't really win with moving companies.
    This is what happens when there is no shortage of work.

My Ride
    WRX STI

That is terrible, were they going to cover the elevator charges since they didn't really use the elevator?
    All I can think of while reading this and after seeing what their company's name was was this:

http://simpsons.wikia.com/wiki/File:...ent_Movers.jpg
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

I just moved over the long weekend. I used Jay's Mover's (Jay's Group of Calgary).

They are awesome. Showed up in the 1/2 hour window they were supposed to, didn't dent a wall, didn't damage any items, packaged up fragile items like glass cases, tv's, and other large items so they wouldn't be damaged, and they were professional and courteous. It's a 3 person crew and if you get James, he's on top of things.

Oh yeah, these guys are saying that some people don't even offer them water and stuff. I'm not saying it's required, but it's definitely a nice gesture to provide some bottled water or coke, maybe even a quick snack. They really appreciate it and it's a small tip/gesture for people that work just as hard (if not harder) than those in the restaurant service industry that are tipped whatever % of the bill.

My Ride
    cbr600, z71 sierra, 4x4 kodiak

I guess you can say this thread has moved me away from using them in the future. Subscribed to see what happens, hope you win this one.
    Hittin' every hole

1999 gmc sierra z71, 5.3L 4x4
    2004 cbr600f4i
    2008 kodiak 450

My Ride
    SpecB

Originally posted by woodywoodford
    Has anybody actually had a good experience with movers? I've been planning on using on my next move but after all the nightmare stories I've been hearing lately I might just have to forgo my laziness
    We used careful movers recently to move some pianos between houses.

cons:
    - Were late (like the OP mentions in his post). So this threw a wrench in my day and I just simply canceled that day and had em reschedule for later that week. Was fairly ticked off at that point.
    -Hard to get a hold of them by phone. 2nd time I learned to grab the guys' personal cell for the day and didn't have any issues once I did this.

Pros: no damage to anything, did a good wrap job on the piano for transit and didn't damage my new hardwood or slightly more durable tile/walls/ (or piano) while moving it into place.
    Reasonable price.

Not sure if I'd use them again or not. (fairly indifferent really, for the "Seems you can't really win with moving companies." reasons mentioned above)... Though I don't really have too high expectations for a moving company aside from not breaking my stuff.

anyways, back on topic: best of luck to the OP. hope you get it sorted out.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast