Quantcast
Tesla Motors - Page 30 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 30 of 149 FirstFirst ... 20 29 30 31 40 ... LastLast

Thread: Tesla Motors

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's a beautiful, poorly built, useful 80-90% of time car. As long as you don't drive more than 300km per day and you always parks at a charger while you sleep, it could work. It's just not as versatile as gas cars until another revolution of battery/charging tech arrives.
    Study shows that on average persons drives less than 50km a day. So provided that Tesla has 300km limit, it serves very well this kind of market/customer. Sure if you drive a lot and may be off bitten path, this solution may not work for you. In terms of cost on average Tesla cost ~$2.80/100km, on average city driving say 10l/100km @$1/l the cost is ~$10/100km, about 70% more. So for average driver in the city it may be worth switching. I do not even want to go into tech secs, where if you like "burning rubber"- zero to 100, well no comment. For some folks might the question should I buy new Porsche or Tesla (cool factor + specs). From engineering standpoint, every manufacturer goes through pains of starting new production and quality at the beginning, with time these improve. I think we are at the stage where all car makers will move into this space and competition will only help with quality and cost. Tesla is a disruptor and innovator, and it is here to stay.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by Waldi View Post
    Study shows that on average persons drives less than 50km a day. So provided that Tesla has 300km limit, it serves very well this kind of market/customer. Sure if you drive a lot and may be off bitten path, this solution may not work for you. In terms of cost on average Tesla cost ~$2.80/100km, on average city driving say 10l/100km @$1/l the cost is ~$10/100km, about 70% more. So for average driver in the city it may be worth switching. I do not even want to go into tech secs, where if you like "burning rubber"- zero to 100, well no comment. For some folks might the question should I buy new Porsche or Tesla (cool factor + specs). From engineering standpoint, every manufacturer goes through pains of starting new production and quality at the beginning, with time these improve. I think we are at the stage where all car makers will move into this space and competition will only help with quality and cost. Tesla is a disruptor and innovator, and it is here to stay.
    So I like to take some friends to Lake Louise. That's 184km. I will not make it home without a trip to a super charger. So now I have to plan a trip to Golden for lunch, recharge for about 40-50mins (if there is no queue), and come home. And my lunch choice while it's charging is McD and a BBQ joint. And that's if you have a Tesla. If you have anything else, you are SOL on slow chargers.

That's what I meant EV is a 80-90% car, you will need something else for the other 10%. For most people right now, even a Civic is a 100% car.

We need more DC fast charging infrastructure before EV will work for long haul. And for that to happen, they must standardize from the 3 standards right now down to 1. So all can charge at the same chargers.

We need more DC fast charging infrastructure before EV will work for long haul. And for that to happen, they must standardize from the 3 standards right now down to 1. So all can charge at the same chargers.
    And extract a fuckton of copper. Mmm, more tailing ponds.

And then lay down said copper.

And then build new power plants.

And then build charging stations.

Surely this will be an easy task.

My Ride
    Defender, Allroad

Quote Originally Posted by Waldi View Post
    For some folks might the question should I buy new Porsche or Tesla (cool factor + specs).
    Thankfully the Mission E is going to come out and you can have a Porsche and the "cool factor and specs" all in the same car. Not sure when Porsche became uncool, but they are going to sell a truckload of these EV cars.

Additionally, while the average cost per 100km for a Tesla might be cheaper, the entry price point is 2-5 times more expensive. If you can afford a Tesla, you likely do not care about this savings. No one buying a Tesla is thinking about the cost savings per 100km and how it's a great deal.

My Ride
    SL550, P100DL, F-450, FIAT

So I like to take some friends to Lake Louise. That's 184km. I will not make it home without a trip to a super charger. So now I have to plan a trip to Golden for lunch, recharge for about 40-50mins (if there is no queue), and come home. And my lunch choice while it's charging is McD and a BBQ joint. And that's if you have a Tesla. If you have anything else, you are SOL on slow chargers.

That's what I meant EV is a 80-90% car, you will need something else for the other 10%. For most people right now, even a Civic is a 100% car.

Lake Louise has charger for its guests at the front of their parking lot.....FYI
    Professionally Retired

Quote Originally Posted by KPHMPH View Post
    Lake Louise has charger for its guests at the front of their parking lot.....FYI
    Hateraders don't care they like to swallow in their hate. not to metion by boss has made lake louise and back on one charge. the car is good for 99.99% of typical driving and these guys just like to trash it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak View Post
    it has had about as much impact on the automotive industry as Abercrombie & Fitch have had on the v-neck tee shirt market. T
    Quote Originally Posted by Gestalt View Post
    lol. The won't, And with persistance, the hateraders will convince me that tesla has done nothing for the industry or the world.

You can lead a man to tits but you cant fsrce him to stick his head between them

no way Tesla has anmy impact.

"It seems fitting given that Tesla Motors, under Musk's leadership, has been credited with pushing the entire automotive industry toward EVs. Even Bob Lutz, the chief rabble-rouser at General Motors, has hailed the company for giving the industry a swift kick in the ass and proving lithium-ion battery technology could work in cars.
    "Tesla gave us a major impetus," Lutz said a few months back during the Los Angeles Auto Show. "I'm thankful to Tesla for giving those of us who championed the Chevrolet Volt proof that lithium-ion batteries would work.""
    aRE YOU SECRETLY bOB lUTZ? Carlos gHOsN?

My Ride
    Silverado

It's too bad your mom didn't like to swallow. Would have saved us a bunch of headache.

Too bad your mom drank so much during your last turm

Too bad your mom drank so much during your last turm
    What is 'turm'?

edit...

turm in British
    (tɜːm)
    noun
    archaic , poetic
    a troop of horsemen
    Collins English Dictionary. Copyright © HarperCollins Publishers
    Last edited by speedog; 10-10-2017 at 06:41 AM.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Hateraders don't care they like to swallow in their hate. not to metion by boss has made lake louise and back on one charge. the car is good for 99.99% of typical driving and these guys just like to trash it.
    I'm not hating on it. Just properly representing the shortfall I experienced for my 2 weeks. Fact is now I'm back on ICE, I wish to have a Model S as a daily (even a lowly 75D) as I was stuck on Shag this morning. Regen braking is addictive and having ICE running during traffic jam is kinda pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by KPHMPH View Post
    2 NEMA14-50, that's cool. Do they force people to leave or will that be occupied by guest with no end in sight?
    Last edited by Xtrema; 10-10-2017 at 12:03 PM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

An interesting look at TCO of Model 3 now that it doesn't include free supercharging.

$8.60 for 167 miles of range for the Model 3. Comparing a similar vehicle (Mercedes C350e PIH) rated at 30mpg gas only, it would take 5.6 gallons of fuel to go the same range, or $16.94 at California's gas prices. Comparing to a more efficient hybrid (Toyota Prius) at 52mpg, it would take 3.2 gallons of fuel to go the same range, or $9.78 at California's gas prices.

The TCO advantage is eroding without free charging.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

House of cards gets a little shakier every few months.

Gestalt's trolling? The same.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Forget cost, let' look at emissions:

43 KWh = 0.031992 metric tons CO2

5.6 gallons of gas = 0.0497672 metric tons CO2

3.2 gallons of gas = 0.0284384 metric tons CO2

According to : https://www.epa.gov/energy/greenhous...and-references

My Ride
    2020 Genesis G70

Quote Originally Posted by benyl View Post
    43 MWh = 0.031992 metric tons CO2
    43 Mwh or Kwh?

And that is some crazy expensive electricity. Although I have never tried looking at what my actual cost is per kwh when you add in all the additional fees the utility companies add to the bill...

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

K not M

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by blownz View Post
    And that is some crazy expensive electricity. Although I have never tried looking at what my actual cost is per kwh when you add in all the additional fees the utility companies add to the bill...
    It's the US, well specifically California. That's why I used Cali gas prices too, which is 50% higher than the rest of the US. Will be curious to see how it looks in other states once we see some more charging receipts.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    $8.60 for 167 miles of range for the Model 3.
    Well, Model S I drove I can do around 350wh/mi consider 50/50 city/hwy. 167mils = 58kwh.

Cali has 3 rates (4th if you include what Supercharger charges):

At 0.36 per kwh On-peak: $21.04
    At 0.20 per kwh Tesla Supercharger rate: $11.69
    At 0.17 per kwh Mid-peak: $9.94
    At 0.09 per kwh Off-peak: $5.26

So that's why they are pushing solar roof and home battery so hard.

In Alberta, Supercharger charges at per min rate instead of per kwh rate. So it get tricky and if you want maximum range, because charging speed really depends on how many cars are at the charger and what condition your battery is at. When battery close to 90% full, charge speed slows to 1/2 to 1/3 of maximum. So if they charge you per min, you last 20-30mile of buffer would cost as much as you 1st 200miles.

BTW Rage, why is C350e not available in Canada?
    Last edited by Xtrema; 10-18-2017 at 03:55 PM.

My Ride
    992 T-hawk Golf R

Quote Originally Posted by benyl View Post
    Forget cost, let' look at emissions:

43 KWh = 0.031992 metric tons CO2

5.6 gallons of gas = 0.0497672 metric tons CO2

3.2 gallons of gas = 0.0284384 metric tons CO2

According to : https://www.epa.gov/energy/greenhous...and-references
    This post in addition to Rage2's are very interesting!
    I like neat cars.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    An interesting look at TCO of Model 3 now that it doesn't include free supercharging.

$8.60 for 167 miles of range for the Model 3. Comparing a similar vehicle (Mercedes C350e PIH) rated at 30mpg gas only, it would take 5.6 gallons of fuel to go the same range, or $16.94 at California's gas prices. Comparing to a more efficient hybrid (Toyota Prius) at 52mpg, it would take 3.2 gallons of fuel to go the same range, or $9.78 at California's gas prices.

The TCO advantage is eroding without free charging.
    Just wait until electricity prices skyrocket too from all this stupidly expensive renewable energy movement crap and increased demand on top of that for transportation usage.

InsureMyTesla - link to article. Interesting read.
    Will fuck off, again.

Page 30 of 149 FirstFirst ... 20 29 30 31 40 ... LastLast