Quantcast
Subaru Forester oil consumption - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Subaru Forester oil consumption

My Ride
    Indian Scout

Originally posted by R-Audi

Nice first post btw...setting yourself up for success.
    It's a car forum, and he posted in the correct sub-forum. He asked a simple question, wrote a comprehensive post, and provided The necessary information to what he perceived as a car-related issue.

What's the problem with his post?

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by Isaiah
    Title and user name are the same and seems to points to a single purpose?

Originally posted by SubaruWTF
    I am wondering how does that measure up against other brand new vehicles? Do they also need top ups between oil changes?
    Every manufacturer has been switching to lower weight oil to get better fuel economy and power numbers.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 08-12-2013 at 12:54 PM.

My Ride
    Beyond Fit Golf R and Berta RAM 1500

Wow I never knew some of these manufactures thought it was ok to have that ridiculous amount of oil consumption! And i thought my vtak civic was bad but it only does 1L per 5000km lol.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by Redlined_8000
    Wow I never knew some of these manufactures thought it was ok to have that ridiculous amount of oil consumption! And i thought my vtak civic was bad but it only does 1L per 5000km lol.
    That number is probably derived from the worst possible tolerances, along with a worst case scenario for ring seating, to make sure that they don't have to replace an engine. It doesn't happen much. I think I've only had 1 new car in the last 10 years that needed 1L of oil every 15000km's.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    TRD Pro

Originally posted by Isaiah

It's a car forum, and he posted in the correct sub-forum. He asked a simple question, wrote a comprehensive post, and provided The necessary information to what he perceived as a car-related issue.

Screen name = post title, and first and only post.. Sounds like a typical troll using Beyond as his podium, going out of his way to make something look like the sky is falling only to have it be 100% normal.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by Redlined_8000
    I lose around average of 3/4L per 8000km. I lose nothing in summer, it's the extra idling in winter that really accelerate the loss.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by Xtrema

I lose around average of 3/4L per 8000km. I lose nothing in summer, it's the extra idling in winter that really accelerate the loss.
    That's why they have such a high allowance. They don't know how you drive, so if you're in L.A. traffic, all day every day, you'll be idling your oil away. If you're always on the highway, you'll barely lose any.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

luxor Guest

Default Re: Subaru WTF

How many other cars have low oil lights?

What are you even complaining about? Does your imaginary Subaru actually consume 1L per 2000km or something? If not then calm down and remember you always have the option of not buying a Subaru if you're that anal.

Originally posted by R-Audi
    I dont see the issue. The last thing the dealer wants is a bunch of morons complaining that they lost 200ml of oil over the last 20,000km. They set a standard so people dont waste their time. If you lose more oil than what the manual states? Yeah, go in for service.

Nice first post btw...setting yourself up for success.

My Ride
    E46 M3 Turbo, JZS161, UCF30, BP9, S30

All Subaru's have oil consumption issues, their PCV systems are terrible. Best solution is installing an air oil separator.
    Haltech Factory Trained and Elite Certified / AEM EMS and Infinity Factory Trained Tuner / ECUTek Factory Trained Tuner for FRS-BRZ and R35 GTR / HKS Pro Tuner / Apexi Power Exel Certified Tuner

Proud to be a "hater" that defends Authenticity

My Ride
    G37, Gsxr600

1989 oldsmobile, uses less oil then what you guys are saying... I'm about 5-6k without even losing any.

My Ride

Originally posted by OneGreasyHobo
    1989 oldsmobile, uses less oil then what you guys are saying... I'm about 5-6k without even losing any.
    It's just the allowable limits, not what most people actually get.

I go 10,000kms between oil changes on my Audi 2.7 twin turbo, and only ever have to add maybe 1/2 litre.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Originally posted by OneGreasyHobo
    What does that have to do with anything? Some old engines burn more oil than gas.

Originally posted by revelations

What does that have to do with anything? Some old engines burn more oil than gas.
    I'd rather drive around in a new Suburu that's on the upper limit of oil consumption, than I would an 1989 Oldsmobile of any condition.

Apologies about the poor choice of my user name.

I do own a brand new Subaru Forester that has been burning oil from day one. At the current consumption rate, it will require two litres of extra oil between the scheduled changes. According to Subaru Canada, that is well within the specs and nothing can or needs to be done

Lately, this has been a hit-and-miss issue with other car manufacturers too. Here is the interesting link to Consumer Reports:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/n...cars/index.htm

I don't know if this has been covered but can't someone just idle their vehicle for an extended amount of time during the oil consumption test, burn up more oil than they normally would and then get another engine through warranty when it fails the oil consumption test? All these tests seem to be based on a distance driven but wouldn't a car burn more oil driving 1000 km in 50 hours versus a car driving 1000 km in 10?

My Ride
    W204

Apologies about the poor choice of my user name.

I do own a brand new Subaru Forester that has been burning oil from day one. At the current consumption rate, it will require two litres of extra oil between the scheduled changes. According to Subaru Canada, that is well within the specs and nothing can or needs to be done

Lately, this has been a hit-and-miss issue with other car manufacturers too. Here is the interesting link to Consumer Reports:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/n...cars/index.htm
    Obviously you didn't break it in properly.. Should be flooring it and revving the snot out of it at every opportunity. /seriouspost.
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

There are now enough people complaining that Subaru of America published an article stating that the high oil consumption is "normal":

Quote:

FACT: Engines consume some oil during normal operation. How much oil engines consume varies, based on manufacturing tolerances, wear, and usage. Usage includes driving patterns such as frequent engine braking (downshifting the transmission in order to decelerate the vehicle), engine operation at sustained high RPMs (i.e., sustained highway driving or driving in hilly terrain), frequent acceleration and deceleration (i.e., stop-and-go freeway traffic), severe thermal conditions (extreme heat or cold), idling for extended periods of time (i.e., frequent and sustained remote engine-start operation), and new-engine break-in period (up to the first 3,000 miles). All will result in increased engine oil consumption. However, the need to add oil should not be interpreted as a need for more frequent servicing.

Source:

http://drive.subaru.com/fall13_modes...ps_full&page=2

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

I really doubt Subaru is going to do any engine replacements or repairs unless its 1L every 1000km or less, whether you bitch about it or not.
    Last edited by Twin_Cam_Turbo; 09-13-2013 at 08:06 AM.

My Ride

There are now enough people complaining that Subaru of America published an article stating that the high oil consumption is "normal":
    Well, if most people are getting high oil consumption, than it is normal isn't it?

I honestly don't see the issue myself. 2 litres of oil over 10,000 kms isn't bad at all. You likely have to open the hood more often than that to add windshield washer fluid anyways, are you going to start complaining about the wastage of that too, because the nozzles aren't as efficient as they could be?

My '07 STi burned a lot of oil too and apparently that's normal for those cars. That's another reason I got rid of it- complete fuckin' bullshit to have to check your oil daily on any 5 year old vehicle.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast