Quantcast
UAV, Drones, R/C aircraft, quadcopters - Page 5 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: UAV, Drones, R/C aircraft, quadcopters

My Ride
    toyotas, mitsu, and a ford

This thread has seemed to die out but I finally got all the parts in to start a 250mm sized little mini quad and wanted to share. Everybody raves about the naze32 Flight Control boards for these frames so I am taken the dive to learn yet another controller.

Components

Frame Layed Out

Frame Assembled

As well Finnaly Got around to wiring up the RGB led controllers on my night flyer and I think it turned out pretty wild.

My Ride
    TDI

Really getting into this now. Picked up a used DJI Flamewheel F550.

Already crashed it a few times and have pretty much built a new one from the wreckage and new parts I ordered.

Just ordered an APM controller with all the goodies.

My Ride
    4x4

My Ride
    Grimace

joker, where did you get the parts from?
    My buddies new printer should be here soon so then I can print some air-frames to start on my own

My Ride

Originally posted by schocker
    joker, where did you get the parts from?
    My buddies new printer should be here soon so then I can print some air-frames to start on my own
    Unfortunatly there isn't just one place I order from to get all the different components I use or want to try out. It requires ordering from several different places. I don't think I've completed a build yet that hasn't had parts from at least 3 different shops.

hobbyking, buddyrc, banggood, fpvlab, goodluckbuy, digikey, 3drobotics, foxtechfpv, surveilzone, securitycamera2000, flitetest and of course ebay. just to name a few that I've made at least 2 orders from in the past. I really enjoy building and designing these things so its probably easier for me to suggest some proven parts if you can give me a idea of what you want out of it.

3D printing a frame has been done and has proven to not work out very well. The plastic tends to be either not strong enough or if made to be strong enough it ends up being too heavy and has horrible performance/flight times. Hell some arizona guys end up warping the frame just from the desert heat(not to mention some ESC get real hot when pushed hard) Its just not worth 3d printing when there are so many frames out there that are priced so well and are made out of aluminum, carbon fiber, or fiberglass. Only way I would consider it is if you could maybe reinforce the arms with some carbon rods or something. Save the 3d printed stuff for non structural items. Not only that but because the plastic isnt very rigid it causes lots of vibrations which drives the flight controller crazy and will end up giving you a real mushy feeling on the controls.

Since this thread has been revived may as well give a few updates on what I''ve been up to (which hasn't been much)

First off I finished the Mini Frame (almost still havent strapped FPV gear on)

And here is me trying to smash the thing on its maiden flight.

And here is what I was trying to do...

And here is a updated picture of the current flyable rigs.

As well last weekend I did both my first true night flight(with the night vision setup) and broke 100km/h on my alien quad.
    Last edited by Crazyjoker77; 10-07-2014 at 06:20 PM.

My Ride
    Hatred

Originally posted by Crazyjoker77

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version
    I'm pretty sure I have that exact frame. Well two of them currently but only enough electronics for one..
    -U

Anybody interested in a 500 size quad kit? I have everything needed to complete a QAV500 based rig but just don't have the time..
    dv/dt

My Ride
    Hatred

Originally posted by ZiG-87
    Anybody interested in a 500 size quad kit? I have everything needed to complete a QAV500 based rig but just don't have the time..
    You'd have to pm me the parts list and a price.
    -U

My Ride

Originally posted by Unknown303

I'm pretty sure I have that exact frame. Well two of them currently but only enough electronics for one..
    Holy Necro bump. Its an amazing frame I hardly fly anything but ZMRs now(although I still have the entire fleet and then some)

What components did you end up going with?

I loved the ZMR so much I ended up building up a few more...you know for comparison=p

And I finished this beast finally

My Ride
    Hatred

I'm not even sure anymore. Enmax motors and sime chinese ESCs with simonK firmware. Using a CC3D on it currently. Haven't put in much flying time though.

My 450 class one has the APM2.6 with GPS but I've yet to get that thing flying properly.
    -U

My Ride
    TDI

Originally posted by Crazyjoker77
    And I finished this beast finally

Is that a 3D FPV setup on there? Can't see if there's another camera behind the gimbal...

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-15-2019 at 02:15 PM.

My Ride
    yfz450,2012 Silverado, Yamaha AR230HO

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
    So I am just getting into flying quadcopters... mostly I just want to learn how to fly around indoors.

I bought an Axis Aerius, and it was pretty fun.... until I ran it into the ceiling 5 minutes later, and I bent the motor rod. Turns out that part isn't replaceable, so that was the end of that.

Can somebody recommend me a palm size drone that would be durable and easy for me to start with, and maybe a place to get it from.

Thanks!

Any of the smaller Blade quads are a great starting point. The perfect palm sized quad would be the nano QX.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-15-2019 at 02:15 PM.

My Ride
    383 Camaro LT1

I just had an elderly gentleman with Lupus in Olympia Washington build me a 3D Robotics X8+ drone. The options I picked out would have totalled $1500. Cost me $900 from him. He just enjoys building them for people and just charges for parts.

Ships next week.
    93 Camaro Z28 (The fast one)
    01 Trans Am WS6 (The cute one)
    Esla T6 Dog Sled (Not cute, not fast, scary as hell)

Tried to get a Phantom 3 Advanced from Calgary's The Camera Store via online this morning. Was on the site for $970, they e-mailed me back saying the pricing was incorrect and they won't honor it.
    Last edited by Cooked Rice; 01-29-2016 at 05:49 PM.

My Ride
    Hatred

Originally posted by Cooked Rice
    Tried to get a Phantom 3 Advanced from Calgary's The Camera Store via online this morning. Was on the site for $970, they e-mailed me back saying the pricing was incorrect and they won't honor it.
    Makes you just love dealing with local companies.
    -U

Has anyone here applied for a SFOC(Special Flight Operations Certificate)?

I'm looking at using a Dji Phantom 3 Professional for aerial photographs. There is no default application form so I have to create my own. Just wondering if anyone else has been through the process and if so what was the level of difficulty.

Originally posted by TheCheff
    Has anyone here applied for a SFOC(Special Flight Operations Certificate)?

I'm looking at using a Dji Phantom 3 Professional for aerial photographs. There is no default application form so I have to create my own. Just wondering if anyone else has been through the process and if so what was the level of difficulty.
    I was talking to a guy who has one. You must outline all the safety measures and precautions you will take in order to satisfy safe flying. A maintenance plan/schedule and what it includes, records of flights, maintenance and work done to the aircraft. How you will plan safe flights by taking into account weather etc. He had a SFOC for built up areas, up to 100FT AGL.

If you get a SFOC and get caught breaking the rules, Transport will pretty much throw the book at you. Some guy had a SFOC and was shooting with a drone in the Icefields Parkway (big no-no) Warden caught him and Transport laid it out because he was entrusted with a SFOC which meant he clearly knew the rules, and breached it's conditions anyways. You can't play the ignorance card when you have a SFOC, same goes for anyone with a aviation license of any sorts.
    Last edited by Cooked Rice; 02-07-2016 at 02:05 PM.

My Ride
    Mk6 GTI

We have a pretty big fleet of UAV's which we use for aerial mapping work. We have a blanket SFOC for the areas we need. It was a pain in the ass to get and does not include "populated areas". To fly those you have to apply for an exemption for each time frame and job. They are not super easy to get and come with a LOT more rules.

We got into it back when you had to apply for each individual job and area so we have all the proper insurance and procedures in place to satisfy the SFOC requirements. Insurance is probably the biggest hurdle. The rest is just good practice. (Flight plans, records, etc).

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 LastLast