Quantcast
UAV, Drones, R/C aircraft, quadcopters - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: UAV, Drones, R/C aircraft, quadcopters

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Default UAV, Drones, R/C aircraft, quadcopters

Are there any beyonders who have invested $$$ into the R/C & UAV market?

I'm thinking of a small scale quadcopter that can lift a camera into the sky and snap photos. The market is changing so fast that its tough to keep up!

Parrot ar.drone 2.0 would probably fit the bill. Just a word of caution though, technically if you fly anything outside of a direct line of sight, you're breaking some kind of federal law regarding operating an unmanned aircraft..
    dv/dt

My Ride

Yea there are a few hurdles for sure.

One day down the road I will have to get proper licensing and insurance as I would like to have a mobile-network controlled UAV that I could take around the city. Basically a UAV with a SIM card, a UAV that I could control from a PC and transmit data back and forth (live video, etc.).

I guess the main drawback is flight time, most battery units are good for 20 minutes.

Q: Are UAVs legal in the Canada?

A: Unmanned Aerial vehicles are permitted to fly in Canada when they meet "Model aircraft" conditions set out in the Canadian Aviation Regulations or the operator has a Special Flight Operations Certificate(SFOC).

Q: What makes a UAV a model aircraft in the eyes of Transport Canada(TC)?

A: "Model aircraft" means an aircraft, the total weight of which does not exceed 35 kg (77.2 pounds), that is mechanically driven or launched into flight for recreational purposes. By definition a UAV is no longer a model aircraft when:
    - Owned by a company not an individual.
    -Used for profit.

http://diydrones.com/profiles/blogs/uav-faqs-for-canada

My Ride
    Bicycle

Battery is still a big draw back. I have seen some GoPro mounts for Parrot but I think that's as heavy as they can carry.

The camera within the Parrot is average.

The line of sight, range and battery are all limitations. Bell labs did modify one to run on 4G as POC but not sure how it will do when it roam from tower to tower.

I do want one as a toy but just didn't have much time to spend on a hobby lately. Cheapest Parrot 2.0 I have seen was $299 @ thesource.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 08-12-2013 at 02:30 PM.

My Ride
    TRD Pro

The good ones certainly arent cheap..

http://www.dji.com/products/

The flamewheel ARF looks pretty amazing.. the company I work for has plans to manufacture something similar in the new year.

My Ride

Yea I think the vertical lift/payload UAV market will "take off" literally soon in the next few years, there are huge cost savings compared to using a standard helicopter. I think in 10 years I can see UAVs around the city doing all sorts of things.

I know, I used to work for an aerial survey company.

Here is a prototype machine that can lift 50 lbs.

Last edited by revelations; 08-12-2013 at 02:47 PM.

My Ride
    '11 Sonata 2.0T Limited

I've been looking into starting the same type of company (remote sensing) since '09. I ordered an unassembled prototype arducopter kit from diydrones as I was really into it back in the day but the ever changing rules and regulations have turned me off (from flying commercially).

From what I've gathered (not 100% sure), flying a drone for commercial purposes in the city is not allowed. They will not grant you a SFOC as it has the potential to hit people or property.

Also, you must fly within VLOS (visual line of sight) and have the ability to take back control (if you're flying automated with GPS).

From what i've learnt you really want to be doing this for an oil/gas/environmental company out in the field with various sensing technologies (multi spectral cameras).

My Ride
    95B

Try to bring this thread back to life.
    Drone bug has hit me Wondering whether anyone here owns a drone and whether they can suggest a good set up for a beginner.
    As mentioned here I am looking at the DJI Phantom 2. They are not cheap. I spoke to multirotorheli.ca and the guy is pointing me to phantom 2 vision +
    http://www.dji.com/product/phantom-2-vision-plus

Before I drop all that money I wanted to see whether anyone can share their firsthand experience.
    Thanks

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

The Phantom 2 is pretty pimp, and is more than enough for anyone doing this in the hobby field. Much more than this, you are doing it professionally.

I actually got my hands on a 3 channel RC foam super cub, and I have mounted my cam on it in a few places. I just need to learn how to fly it better HAHAHAHA!

I think quads though are the best platform for aerial photography / video. Helicopters are pretty involved to fly, and planes can't hover.

I know PM hobby has something similar to the Phantom 2, specifically designed for gopros for about the $800 IIRC. Might be worth checking out. Hell, it might even be the Phantom 2...
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    acura TYPE A

I have a ar drone 2.0 with GPS but I did all the learning stuff and still can not fly it. I see kids flying them all the time. is it because im using android?

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Originally posted by thetransporter
    I have a ar drone 2.0 with GPS but I did all the learning stuff and still can not fly it. I see kids flying them all the time. is it because im using android?
    generally no. it is because most of the iOS and android interfaces suck. While it is cool and all to be saying that you are controlling from your phone, latency both from the device, and over the air, kills a lot of it.

seriously, get something that has a dedicated 2.4ghz remote and you will find the experience to be WAY better and easier to fly.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

Originally posted by thetransporter
    It's because you're not a kid any more - old guy like me would have less than a snowball's chance in hell of mastering it.

My Ride
    toyotas, mitsu, and a ford

I got into uav/drones/multicopters about a year ago, like everything I do I went totally overboard.

I really like apm 2.6 flight controllers and the new PixHawk that their releasing should be even better.

Heres a couple pics of my collection.

They all kinda have their different purposes. (nightflyer, acrobatic,Beater FPV rig, and the black quad is getting equipped with night vision flight camera)

I also just picked up a 2 axis brushless gimbal and am gonna give Arial Viedography A shot and might even consider building a new hexa or octo.

I'm horrible flying Line of Sight but as soon as I throw the video goggles on I become a champ.

My Ride

^ do tell about the NVG system, is it FPV? Whats the total cost of a NVG rig?

My Ride
    toyotas, mitsu, and a ford

Originally posted by revelations
    ^ do tell about the NVG system, is it FPV? Whats the total cost of a NVG rig?
    It adds up pretty quick as does most RC stuff.

Camera 90$
    Lens 20$
    Case 5$
    Video Tx 60$
    TX antenna 20-30$

and optionally an on screen display, which in my case since I'm using APM it is a 30$ board but if it was any other OSD they start at about 150$ because they need all its own sensors.

The following video is what inspired me to go this route.(the little screen in the corner is the flight cam,this is what hes seeing in his goggles the full screen is just the card off his mobius). Hes running an older version of what I'm using also he is using the stock 2.8mm lens as opposed to the low light mushroom lens) Same OSD as me though.

With the 600mw transmitter and the CP antennas I should be good for 2km. I was getting 1.2 on my 250mw TXs before.(even then I think I could of went further)

My Ride

WHat about FLIR, are they available for civilians here yet?

My Ride
    95B

Thanks every one.
    Will check PM hobby

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

I wonder how long before a multiple homicide by some (civilian) crazy person with a drone?
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    4x4

just a reminder - uavs and rc aircraft aren't allowed to play in calgary city limits

iCalgary - there's a bylaw for that

Seriously, no recreational r/c aircraft or drones within city limits - parks, schools, etc etc etc.

My Ride

Technically, even nets for streethockey are illegal, so is sledding in the winter time and THROWING A FOOTBALL in a park.....

People have gotten tickets for driving around their RC trucks on cul de sacs as well.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast