Quantcast
20% the new standard tip at Calgary restaurants - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: 20% the new standard tip at Calgary restaurants

Default 20% the new standard tip at Calgary restaurants

Ridiculous. I think 15% is generous. How much do you guys tip?

The standard practice for tipping is now 20 per cent, according to Calgary-based etiquette expert John Holt.

"Here in Calgary there is no excuse, ever, to leave a tip less than 15 per cent. You must do [at least] that," says Holt.
    Listen to Holt explain the new tipping standard:

The high standard here is due to a young population, says Holt.

"That's right about the best possible demographic for tipping. Those are the people who tend to tip more and I think as we experience our success here in Calgary, we like to share that."

That percentage is up from seven years ago when Holt says it was 10 to 15 per cent across Canada, including Calgary.

"Now it's 15 to 20 per cent, and in the States, it's always the highest in the world, its now 20 to 25 per cent," says Holt.

He says the 15 per cent is the very minimum for standard service, he says.

"You have to remember that that tip doesn't just go to one individual, that tip goes to everybody in the restaurant."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...john-holt.html

My Ride
    WRX, Audi A4 Avant

I wish we would abolish the tip system. Raise price of food, pay employees a higher wage

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-21-2019 at 01:13 PM.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Originally posted by yellowsnow
    I wish we would abolish the tip system. Raise price of food, pay employees a higher wage
    3x markup isnt enough to pay your staff already? please...

My Ride
    This and that.

Fuck this Holt guy.

I almost always leave 20% tip, even when the service has been less than stellar. That being said, I don't agree with, "there is no excuse, to leave a tip less than 15%". That's bull shit, if you get a shitty service you should have the right to leave whatever, if anything. Tips are starting to sound a lot like a right rather than a privilege.

My Ride
    Bicycle

When Bourdain took over Morgan's show for 1 night, this topic came up with Ripert. Both said 20% is the norm. More if the bill is low like <$30.

Now I can get behind this in US as some of them has no minimum wage. Wait staff here does have minimum wage so I still think 15% should be the norm for good service.

Does everyone still tip 10% at Chinese restaurants?

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Depends soooo much on the restaurant. Tipping at Alloy or Catch is a lot different than Tony Romas.

I tip, but saying that there is a minimum gratuity for someone doing their job to the level it should be done to is ludicrous.

Not even going to mention all the nonsense tip jars that seem to have popped up at every single customer service place.

The high standard here is due to a young population, says Holt.
    And this is 100% BS, it's due to wait staff thinking that they are entitled to large tips.
    Last edited by FraserB; 08-13-2013 at 03:58 PM.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    '01 B15 Sentra & '10 C11X Versa 6Sp 5Dr

15% is still my go to tip option. I have no problems with $0 tip if the experience was really THAT bad. 20% is reserved for hot female servers. 25% if the total bill is < $40. 15% is definitely my max if my server is some dude.
    Someday we may need to activate the halo structure off Deerfoot and destroy the North East.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Originally posted by FraserB

Not even going to mention all the nonsense tip jars that seem to have popped up at every single customer service place.
    i love the one at tootie fruity

like really, wtf have you done? i made my own god damn ice cream

My Ride
    TDi

I tip fairly well depending on the service and I make sure to give atleast 15% if the service wasn't absolute shit. I do, however, tip low at chinese restaurants where I know it's going straight to the owner.

The idea of increasing rate of pay and abolishing tips won't work at all. Imagine the shit ass service you'll get because the server already knows they are getting paid well.**

Last edited by 403ep3; 08-13-2013 at 04:15 PM.
    GO FLAMES GO!

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by Manhattan
    Does everyone still tip 10% at Chinese restaurants?
    Only if bill is huge like $200+.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Originally posted by ercchry

i love the one at tootie fruity

like really, wtf have you done? i made my own god damn ice cream
    The one in Menchies in Okotoks always seems to be half full. Probably becuase they only hire high school girls

Originally posted by 403ep3
    The idea of increasing rate of pay and abolishing tips won't work at all. Imagine the shit ass service you'll get because the server already knows they are getting paid well.
    Some of the best service I've had has been in Australia. No tipping there.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

In Europe most servers get paid a living wage and the service is on average better than here. Tip is actually a tip and not an obligation. When you do leave one there's always a big smile. That's the way it should be. The other end of the spectrum is in most Asian countries the service is good for fear of losing your job. Tip system here is a perfect example of North American entitlement.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Who the fuck is John Holt? One of those gay guys on those tv shows that tell people what they should or shouldn't wear?

I tip 20% for all reasonable dinner prices (say, $80-250ish for 2 people). If everything is absolute shit, it would be less I guess, but I've yet to experience service THAT bad except at Quincy's.

I tip zero at fast food restaurants who annoy every single customer with a tip option on the machine, unless they somehow do something out of the ordinary for me.

I tip 25-50%+ on tiny bills, like $10-40 or whatever. More if I've taken up a table for a few hours and hardly ordered anything except a drink or two.

I tip 15-18% if the bill is massive, like $500-1000+ for a very large group and I end up paying for whatever reason, for work or something along those lines. Doesn't happen often, and usually there is a tip automatically added anyway.

Pretty well everyone I know does exactly the same thing, I think that's pretty standard.

The best service I've had anywhere, including restaurants and stores in general, has always been in the States.

I personally love the tip system, it's the only thing that keeps most service decent. In other countries it seems to work well without tips, but I don't think that would fly here.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 08-13-2013 at 04:11 PM.

My Ride
    TDi

Originally posted by FraserB

The one in Menchies in Okotoks always seems to be half full. Probably becuase they only hire high school girls

Some of the best service I've had has been in Australia. No tipping there.
    If you think that's going to be the same thing in NA you have another thing coming. I have a hard ass time getting service at stupid cross iron mills from all those teenagers. The service is SO bad in that mall.
    GO FLAMES GO!

My Ride
    F10M/F87/NA2/W220/V90/E46ZHP/SE3P/DC2

Originally posted by 403ep3
    The idea of increasing rate of pay and abolishing tips won't work at all. Imagine the shit ass service you'll get because the server already knows they are getting paid well.
    You should get out more. Tipping is not a norm in a lot of other countries. Level of service is better/in line of what we get here.

My Ride
    TDi

Originally posted by Team_Mclaren

You should get out more. Tipping is not a norm in a lot of other countries. Level of service is better/in line of what we get here.
    We are in Canada.. you will not get better service if there is no incentive for people to go above and beyond.

I'm not talking about other countries..

Maybe I will put an asterik near my original post
    GO FLAMES GO!

My Ride
    A fat car

Originally posted by Team_Mclaren

Well said. I tried to tip in Japan and they have refused and insisted to return the money to me even though the service was excellent.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast