Quantcast
Lemon car needs timing belt and brakes - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lemon car needs timing belt and brakes

My Ride
    1993 Honda Civic Si

Default Lemon car needs timing belt and brakes

Hey guys,

I just bought a 1993 Honda Civic Si coupe (170,000 kms), and believing the inspection the guy gave me, i thought everything would be fine.

Just had my mechanic look at it and he's saying I'll probably need to replace the timing belt/water pump and front brakes (maybe other things as well). Just got the black oil and spark plugs replaced, and diagnostics shows no other problems. I know I f'ed the due diligence in buying used cars.

If anyone knows of a reputable place with competitive pricing. I saw on other threads that Hu's Garage, so I'll call him when he opens, and Mr_ET but I don't think he's in town anymore? Really hoping to keep costs minimal because after car, insurance, registration, the wallet is hurting.

Quote for just timing belt/water pump:

Honda: $750

House of Cars: $450

Kijiji mechanic (Tim?): $220

Or would it be better to do it all myself. I don't have any tools so I would have to buy any that are necessary + parts. I'll add pictures in the morning.

Thanks,

Nik
    Last edited by nik.lam; 08-17-2013 at 11:55 PM.

My Ride
    1998 5VZ-FE

Default Re: Lemon car needs timing belt and brakes

Originally posted by nik.lam
    Hey guys,

I just bought a 1993 Honda Civic Si coupe (170,000 kms), and believing the inspection the guy gave me, i thought everything would be fine.

Just had my mechanic look at it and he's saying I'll probably need to replace the timing belt/water pump and front brakes (maybe other things as well). Just got the black oil and spark plugs replaced, and diagnostics shows no other problems. I know I f'ed the due diligence in buying used cars.

If anyone knows of a reputable place with competitive pricing. I saw on other threads that Hu's Garage, so I'll call him when he opens, and Mr_ET but I don't think he's in town anymore? Really hoping to keep costs minimal because after car, insurance, registration, the wallet is hurting.

Or would it be better to do it all myself. I don't have any tools so I would have to buy any that are necessary + parts. I'll add pictures in the morning.

Thanks,

Nik
    You think because the vehicle you just purchased without getting your own inspection before buying is a lemon? Then you have a lot of things to learn about buying vehicles. Timing belts and water pump are regular maintanence on any vehicles that have them just like changing engine oil and spark plugs. Try calling Pompers auto in their forest lawn or strathmore location they did t-belt and water pump for $400 IIRC a couple years ago.

My Ride
    1993 Honda Civic Si

Thanks! I'll call them when they open.

I guess I shouldn't say lemon, but rip-off for the price I paid (what my mechanic told me) and that he lied to me about oil change, brakes (i.e. general maintenance).

First car so lessons learned.

20 year old car cannot be called a lemon lol
    Originally posted by beyond_ban
    Yo Kanye, ima let you finish, but 50 Cent had the best concert cancellation of all time.

Originally posted by Power_Of_Rotary
    +1

what you have purchased is called a project

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by JustinMCS
    what you have purchased is called a project
    Or a used car.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    whatever I feel like

This kind of threads make me

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

This stuff takes all but a few hours to do and can be done quite easily with basic tools.

If you are mechanically inclined do it yourself.

Most expensive part is the timing belt.

Last edited by Cos; 12-30-2016 at 10:39 AM.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride
    Bang Bus

Wow! 170000kms is low for a 93 civic. How much did you pay?

My Ride
    Nothing Good.

At any price he is still going to think
    He got hosed ... You didn't look at the oil before
    You bought it? Come on man. Anyways
    Go see Ravi at minute muffler on 32 nd
    He will take care of you and your so called
    "Lemon"
    A Ferrari is a high maintenance chick, you spend money regardless of what you do with her. You can baby the C63, or slap on all seasons, and you won't be spending anything but yearly maintenance. Of course that's like dating a stripper and refusing to fuck her, which would make you gay.

Originally posted by Rage2

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

I guess I shouldn't say lemon, but rip-off for the price I paid (what my mechanic told me)
    I always take mechanics word with a grain of salt. These guys see tons of awesome deals, because they work on them day in and day out.

It's like talking to my father-in-law too, the monetary value part of his brain is stuck in the 80's, so everything is a rip off these days, lol.

Thanks,

Nik
    Personally, I would go this route. You might pay more doing it yourself with buying tools and everything, than hiring some random Kijiji guy, but the experience is invaluable.

Learning how to fix your own car will save you thousands in the future.

Edit: There's also "U-Wrench" or whatever it's called, where you rent a garage bay for a day or so, and it comes loaded with all the tools you need.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

Originally posted by Power_Of_Rotary
    LMAO, oh there are plenty of lemon/shit boxes out there, regardless of age. I can think of lots off the top of my head I wouldn't be caught dead owning. Most of them are about as old as this guys' car.

The OP just bought a car that needs work, I wouldn't jump on the boat and call it a lemon just yet.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

Hey guys,

Thanks,

Nik

Lets apply some common sense and profit margins to this repair.

From Napa, a quality timing and water pump kit it $136 shop cost or $274 retail. This kit is very close or on par with dealer parts.

The labor time to do the timing belt and water pump is 3 hours.

Kijiji guy: lets assume the best possible scenario and say he is a licensed tech with a good amount of experience looking for more cash. He buys the timing kit and coolant through his place of employment. He is up to $150 in parts. I don't see any tech doing 3 hours of labor for $70.

House of cars: $130 a hour times 3 = $390. Parts $274+ $10 for coolant + GST = $707. I didn't count shop supplies because every shop is different. Shit don't add up.

What kind of parts are these people going to put on your car? some white box crap from China? If the crappy water pump or timing belt tensioner seizes its going to cost you a engine.

All you need to do a timing belt and water pump in this engine is a 8mm, 10mm,12mm 14mm sockets and wrenches. And a 5mm allen key. Its not the tool cost, it's the cost of experience. A half tooth off on the timing will cause a rough idle and a lack of power, a tooth off or more can cause bent valves. Mechanical aptitude is something you have or you don't.

A poor man always pays twice.

My Ride
    Nothing Good.

Dude has no tools I can't see him ever being able to change a timing
    Belt and water pump properly.. Sorry buddy just stating the obvious
    A Ferrari is a high maintenance chick, you spend money regardless of what you do with her. You can baby the C63, or slap on all seasons, and you won't be spending anything but yearly maintenance. Of course that's like dating a stripper and refusing to fuck her, which would make you gay.

Originally posted by Rage2

My Ride
    1993 Honda Civic Si

Default Re: Re: Lemon car needs timing belt and brakes

Thanks for the tips guys. Okay okay not a lemon. I was just hoping to buy a car than ran and didn't need work (what a dream). I assumed the car had the timing belt done b/c it was 170,000 kms.

Timing belt and brakes are the most urgent work needed. But the hood cable is almost done, and muffler is rusted to sh*t. And then there's smaller things too.

Originally posted by Tik-Tok

I always take mechanics word with a grain of salt. These guys see tons of awesome deals, because they work on them day in and day out.

It's like talking to my father-in-law too, the monetary value part of his brain is stuck in the 80's, so everything is a rip off these days, lol.

Personally, I would go this route. You might pay more doing it yourself with buying tools and everything, than hiring some random Kijiji guy, but the experience is invaluable.

Learning how to fix your own car will save you thousands in the future.

Edit: There's also "U-Wrench" or whatever it's called, where you rent a garage bay for a day or so, and it comes loaded with all the tools you need.
    Very true, this mechanic is a guy who likes to buy salvage cars and rebuild them. Ya ideally I could buy the tools and do it myself. The U-Wrench is definitely an interesting idea. I made a shopping list from Canadian Tire (torque wrench, jack/stands, wrenches, etc.) and its a pretty hefty upfront cost.

Originally posted by HO2S

Lets apply some common sense and profit margins to this repair.

From Napa, a quality timing and water pump kit it $136 shop cost or $274 retail. This kit is very close or on par with dealer parts.

The labor time to do the timing belt and water pump is 3 hours.

Kijiji guy: lets assume the best possible scenario and say he is a licensed tech with a good amount of experience looking for more cash. He buys the timing kit and coolant through his place of employment. He is up to $150 in parts. I don't see any tech doing 3 hours of labor for $70.

House of cars: $130 a hour times 3 = $390. Parts $274+ $10 for coolant + GST = $707. I didn't count shop supplies because every shop is different. Shit don't add up.

What kind of parts are these people going to put on your car? some white box crap from China? If the crappy water pump or timing belt tensioner seizes its going to cost you a engine.

All you need to do a timing belt and water pump in this engine is a 8mm, 10mm,12mm 14mm sockets and wrenches. And a 5mm allen key. Its not the tool cost, it's the cost of experience. A half tooth off on the timing will cause a rough idle and a lack of power, a tooth off or more can cause bent valves. Mechanical aptitude is something you have or you don't.

A poor man always pays twice.

Originally posted by bourge73
    Dude has no tools I can't see him ever being able to change a timing
    Belt and water pump properly.. Sorry buddy just stating the obvious
    I don't have an affinity for mechanical work, and am inclined to take it to the shop. Just trying to find a balance between quality/price. I've changed headlight bulbs and speakers......and that's it

EM1FTW is offline I'm a fag because only fags love Hondas
    My Ride
    EM1 yo!

If you're still looking for somewhere to get the work done, hit up jackie at zero limit!
    Originally posted by ZorroAMG

Kinda like this morning when I wanted to tell my GF to pass the sugar and it came out "You fucking bitch, you've ruined my life."

My Ride
    2015 MK7 GTI

Funny to see my name in a thread, I left Calgary about 3 years ago. Hope you find someone to do good quality work for a fair price

Last edited by Cos; 12-30-2016 at 10:47 AM.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

A 20 year old Civic Si is going to have issues, you got off pretty light if front brakes, spark plugs, timing belt and water pump are the only issues you have.

All of those are maintenance parts, most people tend to offload their car when a major service interval is coming up or a bunch of stuff like this piles up. Definitely would suggest against doing the timing belt yourself. Hope you find somebody good.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast