Quantcast
Undercoating/Rust Protect Chassis. Product recommendations and experiences? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Undercoating/Rust Protect Chassis. Product recommendations and experiences?

Default Undercoating/Rust Protect Chassis. Product recommendations and experiences?

Me and a friend would like to look into adding some undercoating/rust protection on our older trucks and would like some experiences and product recommendations. Our chassis are in pretty good condition, just some surface rust that we would like to inhibit and to protect from future offroad runs.

There's a whole whack of products available, but I would like to buy locally if possible, unless it's worthwhile even with the shipping costs.

We would probably just scrape off the old rust with a wire brush, de-grease + clean, then apply the product either with a spray gun or roll on (product dependent).

Any product recommendations and experiences? What kind of cost can we expect?

Thanks!

My Ride
    1985/1986/1988 4runner

When I was doing a body swap on my 1st gen 4Runner I applied POR 15 on as much of the frame as possible. I got the paint from Cross Canada (1324 36 Ave NE) although I cant recall how much it cost for the kit. when applying the paint, pour our as much as you will need in a cup and seal the can so the paint doesn't dry.

You could also spray on some rubberized undercoating in addition to POR15 peace of mind. While you're at it, make sure to clean out the inside of your frame rails, lots of dirt/mud can accumulate over time rotting them from the inside out.

Here's a pic of the frame before the POR15

and after

My Ride
    Lexus/Toyota

How well does this hold up and for how long? Thinking of doing this to my '99 4Runner before winter, it is a BC truck and is really clean underneath. I want to keep it that way.

My Ride
    Ford F150

It's pretty durable. Make sure you start with a clean (washed and wire brushed) frame and it bonds great.
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

My Ride
    1985/1986/1988 4runner

Originally posted by mrsingh
    How well does this hold up and for how long? Thinking of doing this to my '99 4Runner before winter, it is a BC truck and is really clean underneath. I want to keep it that way.
    If it's really clean then you might want to just get a good, thick undercoating instead.

My Ride
    Lexus/Toyota

Will look into that too, thanks!