Quantcast
Selling Car Privately - Do you let people test drive it on their own? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Selling Car Privately - Do you let people test drive it on their own?

My Ride
    a3

Default Selling Car Privately - Do you let people test drive it on their own?

I am selling my old car (99 Corolla) and have a couple people coming to take a look. My question is, do you let people take it for a test drive alone, or do you go with them?

I'm less concerned with someone stealing the car and more concerned with the potential of them getting in an accident or getting tickets while it is still in my name. On the other hand, I'm not super keen about getting in the car with a stranger alone.

Any advice would be appreciated - you folks must have some experience with this!

Thanks!

Really?

Man, I am losing hope in the human race.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

I would treat every visit different.

If its a female buyer you'd probably be OK with going with them in the car I suppose - ask a male friend to be there when a group of people come for a visit perhaps?

Originally posted by revelations
    I would treat every visit different.
    Yup. I had a couple in their thirties come to take a look at the Cayenne and they showed up in their 911. I told 'em the oil was warm so give 'er the beans while I got a coffee.

Different people would garner a different attitude.

My Ride
    cbr600, z71 sierra, 4x4 kodiak

Depends on the car you're selling. My jeep I just let people drive it. My talon the person I sold it to didn't even get to drive it, I took them for a ride.

My atvs and bikes I've sold I have always let the people ride around the block.
    Hittin' every hole

1999 gmc sierra z71, 5.3L 4x4
    2004 cbr600f4i
    2008 kodiak 450

My Ride
    a3

Thanks all - that's pretty much what I was considering - deciding on a case-by-case basis.

I've also thought about following them in my car if I get a weird vibe.

My Ride
    Skateboard

Mr Money Bags came with his 16 year old son. I let him take out my C63 while I chatted with Mr Money Bags.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Originally posted by BloNdie
    [BI've also thought about following them in my car if I get a weird vibe. [/B]
    Shouldn't you just not give them a test drive or go with them at the very least?

I wouldn't even consider it, personally. Even if I was selling a $5000 car I'd go with.

G - I think I read you got the sale, but man I would have never, ever, let a 16 yr old out by himself in my C63 (if I had one).

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

I always tag along. Then again, I'm not afraid of sitting next to a stranger.w

My Ride
    a3

Originally posted by lilmira

Shouldn't you just not give them a test drive or go with them at the very least?
    Sorry, I meant let them take the car I have for sale for a ride and I will follow them in my *new* car.

My Ride
    a3

Originally posted by A790
    I totally realize I'm being a bit paranoid....I mean, the odds of something awful happening is pretty slim. I guess I'm just still freaked out over that Tim Bosma situation.

My Ride
    2.4L DC5 Turbo/W208

bring a Knife and go on the test drive

My Ride
    1988 300zxt, 90 jetta

Depends on the situation for me. Usually I'll ride along but if the guy seems cool I'll let them test it alone.

If you take anything I have to say seriously, you're gunna have a bad time.
    1988 300zxt. gt35, stance coils, etc.
    1990 Jetta VR6 Daily, "stock"

Originally posted by ercchry
    people are dumb, kids need to stop playing in the streets, SW soccer moms are the worst kind of people, the end

Sorry, I meant let them take the car I have for sale for a ride and I will follow them in my *new* car.
    what will that accomplish?

ive sold many cars and yea its a case by case basis- usually ill go with them but if its a cheap car or they leave their car at my place ill let them go alone. one time a guy went alone and went missing for 15min so i assumed he had stolen it, but luckily when he did return he ended up buying it

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

IC, you are more worried about being alone with a stranger in your car than your car being alone with a stranger. I assume that you are a girl. I'm sure there are volunteers here willing to help you out.

My Ride
    Skateboard

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    I wouldn't even consider it, personally. Even if I was selling a $5000 car I'd go with.

G - I think I read you got the sale, but man I would have never, ever, let a 16 yr old out by himself in my C63 (if I had one).
    haha there's more to the story...they are a friend of the family and have a few successful restaraurants in Lethbridge.

My Ride
    Lease

Originally posted by A790
    The strangers are probably more scared of you.

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

Absolutely not... I made that mistake when I was 18, I let this young family (with a young newborn) take my '72 Chevelle out for a test drive.

They left their POS station wagon there at the house, then took off with it. I never thought anything of it, but I was waiting for a while, and they never came back.

So I hopped on my sportbike and quickly booted around the neighborhood, and I found them, pulled over with it, while quickly going over a map. They intended on stealing the car, and were trying to drive off with it, only to get lost in the neighborhood.

The police were involved and everything, it was a big mess.... Turns out the car they just bought (for $200) had no registration or insurance and had full intentions of leaving it at my place, since it was a stolen plate and everything. Big charges were laid, both got fucked over royally for that stunt, which made me quite happy.

Yeah, that was the last time I ever let anybody touch anything I owned, unless I knew them extremely well. Now I'd never, ever let anybody take anything I own for a test drive on their own, unless its was a motorcycle, whereas I dont want to ride passenger exactly. Only then, I get their full insurance for their car/truck, their keys for it, license & registration, after verifying that it is in fact them for their drivers license. That way? chances are if they do want to take off with the bike, I have something of more value, and all the info I need to take to the police.

Even then.... Im still leery. Long story short, dont ever make the same mistake I did.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

So, worst case, your vehicle gets stolen. What happens then? Insurance pays for a rental for a while and if the car is never found then they cut you a cheque, right?

If I'm trying to sell the car already then that's exactly what I want. Sounds too good to be true, so what's the catch?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast