Quantcast
Official 2013-2014 Ski/Snowboard Season Thread! - Page 8 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 8 of 41 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2013-2014 Ski/Snowboard Season Thread!

My Ride
    Lariat

Originally posted by freshprince1
    Starting to look at a pair of powder skiis, and wanted your suggestions for length?

My all-mountains are Elan Magfires (168cm, 126-82-109).

I'm 5'10", 175, Advanced.

Do I want to go a bit longer, like 180cm for pow skiis?
    I have some 185 Armada JJs and they are amazing, great in deep snow and good on the groomers too! I would say 180cm minimum, i have a buddy who is smaller than you by a few inches and a 20 lbs who rides 182 salomon rocker 2 with no problems.

One nice thing about Rockered pow skis is that they ski shorter than they are. my 185s turn faster in trees than shorter park skis. You can also mount them closer to center which reduces swing weight and allows you to ski a longer ski
    _____ASP______

current ski quiver:
    park, all mtn 181 ON3P Kartel 98
    park,all mtn: 181 Armada AR7
    big mtn, pow: 185 Armada JJ

My Ride
    Subaru wagon

Anyone want to go skiing 28,29,30?

My Ride
    Edge Sport, F-150 EcoBoost

Originally posted by asp integra

I have some 185 Armada JJs and they are amazing, great in deep snow and good on the groomers too! I would say 180cm minimum, i have a buddy who is smaller than you by a few inches and a 20 lbs who rides 182 salomon rocker 2 with no problems.

One nice thing about Rockered pow skis is that they ski shorter than they are. my 185s turn faster in trees than shorter park skis. You can also mount them closer to center which reduces swing weight and allows you to ski a longer ski
    Thanks for the info. That's is what I had gathered, buts its good to have it confirmed.
    freshprince
    -Jan 2006-

My Ride
    '05 Subaru LGT wagon (5MT)

Originally posted by freshprince1
    Starting to look at a pair of powder skiis, and wanted your suggestions for length?

My all-mountains are Elan Magfires (168cm, 126-82-109).

I'm 5'10", 175, Advanced.

Do I want to go a bit longer, like 180cm for pow skiis?
    In addition to what asp said, I would ask why at your size are you on a 168 cm "all-mountain" ski?

I weigh the same as you but am slightly taller and the shortest I would suggest in that magfire would have been the 176. The 168 is essentially a wide slalom ski, 176 and 184 are the "all mountain" sizes.

Had you been in the 176 it would have been easy to recommend something in the mid 180s, if it only has tip rocker and high 180s with tip and tail rocker.

Do you have any issues with your current skis? Are they stable at all speeds you ski? Can you vary your turn shape easily (or do they feel locked at one turn size, or do they always want to turn?

It may be that your current skis are the correct length but I don't think that you are going to get the float and stability you need at your weight in anything under 180cm in order to have a much different powder skiing experience that what your current ski offers.

I would also decide what a "powder" ski means to you. Since you are on relatively short, skinny skis, you may want to progress with a ski in the 100-mm range that is not demanding (Atomic Access, Rossi scimitar, or sin 7)so you get a feel for how wider skis react, without being punished if you end up in less than ideal conditions. This will also let you develop your "palette" for skis better than jumping to something in the teens (11x-mm waist).

The best thing to do may be to buy something very cheap (used) and flip it after deciding what you do and do not like about it so you have a better frame of reference. I don't think that at your stage you will likely be able to develop a strong understanding of how a ski behaves in one day (with a rental or demo) unless the ski is very very wrong for you. Everything that is close to right should feel very good but as you try different skis you will develop definite preferences and you don't want to be locked into a brand new ski at full price.

This is how building a quiver begins, it gets expensive and can really piss off your girlfriend/wife to see 6 pairs of skis sitting in the basement but it sure is fun!

Or go ask at epicski.com, they love this question.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Anyone heading out tomorrow? I am going to Nakiska with friends, so excited.

My Ride
    996TT

Saturday Sunday for me.

My Ride
    2010 S4

I think I'm doing Lake on Saturday or Sunday

My Ride
    E90

any beginners heading out sunday/monday?

I love skiing and boarding alone. If I wanna be part of a group I'll go play hockey or something lol Always a negotiation as to what run is next, always one person suggesting some lame hike for 3-4 powder turns, then there's the weed smokers who spend more time toking than ripping, not to mention those who wanna sit in the bar all day, then, if you're driving, gotta wait for everyone and/or round em up like cattle before you can leave, list goes on and on hahah man I must really not love skiing since I just can't be bothered to head out until there's more than Wiwaxy open or whatever the crowded blue run at Nakiska is called... Everybody seems to think they're too cool and have their little holier-than-thou clicks like they watched Point Break one too many times lol I used to be bummed out about having few to no ski/board buddies but come to think of it, it's pretty fuckin amazing.
    Last edited by heavyfuel; 11-08-2013 at 12:58 PM.

My Ride
    TDI

I love being alone too... but I'm starting to venture to the parts of the hill I probably shouldn't be alone in...

Wanted to get out soon but bruised some ribs at Taekwondo last night...
    Last edited by megavolt; 11-08-2013 at 04:43 PM.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Originally posted by heavyfuel
    Everybody seems to think they're too cool and have their little holier-than-thou clicks like they watched Point Break one too many times.
    Dude.

Is there ANYONE you don't look down on? Seriously, you're the single most judgemental personality that I have ever seen on here. You should change your username to Misanthrope.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Nakiska was great today, skiied the glades all day hit a few jumps.

Nice warm up day for when Sunshine is open.

Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

Dude.

Is there ANYONE you don't look down on? Seriously, you're the single most judgemental personality that I have ever seen on here. You should change your username to Misanthrope.
    I tried to be all happy and positive about meeting new people to ski and board with, just calling it like I see it. Dunno what the fuck else to say just the way it is. I repel people no matter how nice I try to be, so might as well just conserve energy and embrace it and just try to have some fun on my own. At this point in life my persona isn't gonna change so I prefer to use whatever few social skills I do have to make sure my rent is paid and that I can eat, rather than trying to fit in with some year round touque and plaid shirt brigade.

My Ride
    Subaru wagon

Originally posted by heavyfuel

I tried to be all happy and positive about meeting new people to ski and board with, just calling it like I see it. Dunno what the fuck else to say just the way it is. I repel people no matter how nice I try to be, so might as well just conserve energy and embrace it and just try to have some fun on my own. At this point in life my persona isn't gonna change so I prefer to use whatever few social skills I do have to make sure my rent is paid and that I can eat, rather than trying to fit in with some year round touque and plaid shirt brigade.
    I think skiing with people is a give and take. You take some of their runs and they go on yours. Also ill hike if its fresh powder and the main hill is crud. Depends tho, usually you can hunt for powder or fresh lines a lot of the time.
    Also group mentality, if 75% of the group doesn't want to do it, don't and vice versa.

You can also meet at the bottom of a chair, so this way you can split off a little bit and then ride the chair, now its usually not a complete run change but more so run through trees and what not.

My Ride
    Lariat

got some old Salomon SPK boots for sale. used a few seasons but still in good shape. would make for a great backup boot or water ramper. or you could just ski them all season long, great boot!

Asking $175 obo, pm me for details
    _____ASP______

current ski quiver:
    park, all mtn 181 ON3P Kartel 98
    park,all mtn: 181 Armada AR7
    big mtn, pow: 185 Armada JJ

My Ride
    2010 S4

Well went to Louise today, it was crowded and icy as expected but still a decent day to get the legs warmed up for the season.

My Ride
    996TT

Originally posted by dubhead
    Well went to Louise today, it was crowded and icy as expected but still a decent day to get the legs warmed up for the season.
    How were the lift lines?

Today at Nakiska was ridiculous.

200 people in line by 11:30. I went home.

Well went to Louise today, it was crowded and icy as expected

Originally posted by Ek9Max

I coulda told you that lol

I'm selling these btw.

Salomon X-Wing Lab 198 cm. They're from 2008 but only skied on a handful of times and not once last season, so I don't need em. Next to new, no scratches/damage. Bindings are Atomic FFG 16's, $500 firm. Not separating.

Full description here.

Last edited by heavyfuel; 11-10-2013 at 09:58 AM.

My Ride
    2010 S4

Originally posted by Ek9Max

How were the lift lines?

Lift lines where pretty bad especially because I was rolling solo and it seemed tons of groups of people were breaking up into single thinking the singles line would be quicker, even though the other lines were clearly going much faster

My Ride
    996TT

Lift lines where pretty bad especially because I was rolling solo and it seemed tons of groups of people were breaking up into single thinking the singles line would be quicker, even though the other lines were clearly going much faster
    I left early again today because of the crowds.

Hopefully next weekend sunshine is open and more runs are open on all the hills.

That will help a lot.

Page 8 of 41 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 18 ... LastLast