Quantcast
Official 2013-2014 Ski/Snowboard Season Thread! - Page 11 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 11 of 41 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 21 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2013-2014 Ski/Snowboard Season Thread!

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

There is some fun stuff to be had, garbage chutes, hotel cliffs, some kickers in the slack country behind standish.

The dive is fun and there are some gnarly lines back there. I've got my eye on a 60 footer that I want to drop this year and pocket rocket is super rewarding but has some mandatory airs which will kill you if you get them wrong.
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

My Ride
    Hondas

Does anyone here ride a Burton Custom Flying V?

Looking at picking one up this season and just want to hear your opinions on it with our snow conditions here. The guys out east says its no good since they're hills are icy but wondering if it's a good choice here.

My Ride
    996TT

Originally posted by speeed
    Does anyone here ride a Burton Custom Flying V?

Looking at picking one up this season and just want to hear your opinions on it with our snow conditions here. The guys out east says its no good since they're hills are icy but wondering if it's a good choice here.
    We get some ice here sometimes. My buddy has one and it has terrible edge hold......

Why not get something else with a hybrid camber that actually has good grip?

Libtech TRS would very similar as your "do-it-all" board. Same camber-rocker-camber profile as the Flying V but Much much better on icy conditions.

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

Magnatraction

My Ride
    996TT

Originally posted by JfuckinC
    Magnatraction
    Hell ya.

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

I ride a skunk ape. Vedy Nice the lib techs are. Just bought the girlfriend a TRS Narrow for the season, she rode it first time saturday and loved it. She's pretty good too.. Now I'm jealous and want a new Skunk Ape Horsepower.. Apparently made for large fella's haha..

My Ride
    Hondas

Originally posted by Ek9Max

We get some ice here sometimes. My buddy has one and it has terrible edge hold......

Why not get something else with a hybrid camber that actually has good grip?

Libtech TRS would very similar as your "do-it-all" board. Same camber-rocker-camber profile as the Flying V but Much much better on icy conditions.
    I am currently on a 2009 skate banana. I'm looking for more of a camber board instead of a straight rocker like the banana. Ideally a hybrid since i do freeride a lot but i'm starting to get more comfortable with the park

I did read some reviews and it's kind of disappointing with the frost bite edges on the custom's not performing well on ice. It was suppose to be Burton's version of the magnetraction.

Maybe I'll stick to a Mervin board again..

EDIT:
    Been doing a bit of research and the Attack Banana has my attention now

Same camber-rocker-camber profile as the Flying V. Not as aggressive as the Trice with C2 making it more playful but also stiffer than my skate banana with BTX which I want for speed on the free-runs. It's basically a hybrid board right in between called EC2 technology.

Now, the thing I'm a little iffy about is that it has MTX .5 (basically a more mellow magne-traction so the board's more forgiving). Do you guys think this will still hold up in icy conditions?

Also, this board only comes in sizes 153 and up. I'm 5'5 and weigh 145 lbs. My skate banana is a 151 and my my previous board was a 148. Do you think this will be too big for me and make it heavy and harder to flex?

Hopefully someone has experience with this or has ridden one!
    Last edited by speeed; 11-19-2013 at 03:10 AM.

Even though I stay on the ground, I'm looking forward to trying out a rocker/mtx type board. Skied on rockers for the first time last season and it was pretty f'n amazing. Considering I throw around my El Grande 171 with ease, a shorter mtx or rocker board should change the rules for me quite a bit. Then again for my boardercross stay-the-fuck-outta-my way riding style, the traditional camber and stiff wide board under my size 12.5 boots is pretty amazing.

My Ride
    996TT

I am currently on a 2009 skate banana. I'm looking for more of a camber board instead of a straight rocker like the banana. Ideally a hybrid since i do freeride a lot but i'm starting to get more comfortable with the park

I did read some reviews and it's kind of disappointing with the frost bite edges on the custom's not performing well on ice. It was suppose to be Burton's version of the magnetraction.

Maybe I'll stick to a Mervin board again..

EDIT:
    Been doing a bit of research and the Attack Banana has my attention now

Same camber-rocker-camber profile as the Flying V. Not as aggressive as the Trice with C2 making it more playful but also stiffer than my skate banana with BTX which I want for speed on the free-runs. It's basically a hybrid board right in between called EC2 technology.

Now, the thing I'm a little iffy about is that it has MTX .5 (basically a more mellow magne-traction so the board's more forgiving). Do you guys think this will still hold up in icy conditions?

Also, this board only comes in sizes 153 and up. I'm 5'5 and weigh 145 lbs. My skate banana is a 151 and my my previous board was a 148. Do you think this will be too big for me and make it heavy and harder to flex?

Hopefully someone has experience with this or has ridden one!
    I had a TRS last year with magnetraction. Went to a GNU impossible which is basically a baller version of the Libtech Attach banana with an asymmetrical sidecut. The 0.5 magentraction has not been an issue with me.

I read a lot of reviews of the gnu impossible and the attack banana. The attack banana has the same EC2 camber profile, however it was said to be really squirely compared to the GNU impossible being stable.

My Ride
    Hondas

I had a TRS last year with magnetraction. Went to a GNU impossible which is basically a baller version of the Libtech Attach banana with an asymmetrical sidecut. The 0.5 magentraction has not been an issue with me.

I read a lot of reviews of the gnu impossible and the attack banana. The attack banana has the same EC2 camber profile, however it was said to be really squirely compared to the GNU impossible being stable.
    Really nice board you have there! I did come across the impossible but it's way out of my budget.

I might actually hop on this 2013 attack banana, I'm sure it's still going to much better than my skate banana in terms of stability on faster runs. The 40% off last seasons is winning me over right now haha

Which bindings did you pair your impossible with? Looking at union forces

My Ride
    996TT

Really nice board you have there! I did come across the impossible but it's way out of my budget.

I might actually hop on this 2013 attack banana, I'm sure it's still going to much better than my skate banana in terms of stability on faster runs. The 40% off last seasons is winning me over right now haha

Which bindings did you pair your impossible with? Looking at union forces

I had union force last year in my trs. Great binding!

I got the 2014 ride el hefe this year. Check them out if you haven't yet. They look awesome.

My Ride
    Subaru wagon

Has anyone tried a split board?

I want to get a new board, and possibly powder skis so I was looking into this.

My Ride
    02 Blown X

Originally posted by CivicTunr
    Has anyone tried a split board?

I want to get a new board, and possibly powder skis so I was looking into this.
    I have a Voile palindrome split. When in ski mode it's not really meant for going downhill if that is what you had in mind. They are also pretty heavy compared to a typical snowboard. Still fun though

I got the 2014 ride el hefe this year. Check them out if you haven't yet. They look awesome.
    I went from Ride Beta's to Union Forces on my 171. While Ride does make awesome products all around I am very very impressed with the Forces.

If anyone is looking for a split board, I'm selling mine.

Libtech Trice 164.5, magnetraction C2BTX
    Karakoram Split 30 Bindings Large

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/374944/fs...-30-bindings-/

For split boarding also check out:

http://splitboard.com/talk/

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/f...-Ski-Snowboard

Or if you have any specific questions, ask away.

Man is that Banff weather forecast ever depressing.... I can only imagine how bad Sunshine sucks right now... Wawa and Standish, the 2 lamest parts of the mountain, minimal coverage, probably packed on weekends, no snow in the forecast for at least a week. Either I don't enjoy skiing or I'm being smarter about not burning $40/trip in fuel for that shit... Not sure lol
    Last edited by heavyfuel; 11-22-2013 at 08:57 AM.

My Ride
    Subaru wagon

Originally posted by 2LOW4SNOW

I have a Voile palindrome split. When in ski mode it's not really meant for going downhill if that is what you had in mind. They are also pretty heavy compared to a typical snowboard. Still fun though
    No I wanted some powder skis so I could go skin somewhere, but also want a new board, so I figured I could use the board to get to places.

Also where do people recommend going for skis and stuff? I know lou's anywhere else?

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Originally posted by heavyfuel
    Man is that Banff weather forecast ever depressing.... I can only imagine how bad Sunshine sucks right now... Wawa and Standish, the 2 lamest parts of the mountain, minimal coverage, probably packed on weekends, no snow in the forecast for at least a week. Either I don't enjoy skiing or I'm being smarter about not burning $40/trip in fuel for that shit... Not sure lol
    Yes it was busy last weekend but I've seen way busier! I have fun no matter what, I'll be heading out again this weekend!

Originally posted by dimi
    If anyone is looking for a split board, I'm selling mine.

Libtech Trice 164.5, magnetraction C2BTX
    Karakoram Split 30 Bindings Large

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/374944/fs...-30-bindings-/

For split boarding also check out:

http://splitboard.com/talk/

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/f...-Ski-Snowboard

Or if you have any specific questions, ask away.
    You ever convert one yourself?

My kitchen table is currently a work bench for my room mate who is turning one of his old boards into a splitboard haha. Just doesn't seem like the effort vs money saved is worth it. Seems like I would rather just buy (mind you I ski) then to make my own!

My Ride
    Hondas

Ended up picking up a pair of burton cartels because of the sticky toe latch problem on union bindings.

Page 11 of 41 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 21 ... LastLast