Quantcast
Official 2013-2014 Ski/Snowboard Season Thread! - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 41 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2013-2014 Ski/Snowboard Season Thread!

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Default Official 2013-2014 Ski/Snowboard Season Thread!

It's almost that time again! What's everyone's big trips and plans for this year? New gear? New movies to watch!

I have to say if you like urban skiing I just watched Mutiny and it's pretty damn good. I can't wait to see Mconkey, I've been looking forward to it forever!

My Ride
    Subaru wagon

paid for my season to sunshine. And going to pick up a louise card.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Originally posted by CivicTunr
    paid for my season to sunshine. And going to pick up a louise card.
    Nice, I bought an early bird pass to Sunshine and then proceeded to hurt my knee a month ago, hopefully I will be good to go for opening day.

I had a sunshine pass last year and just didn't use it enough to make it worth it.

I have fernie, kicking horse, revy trips planned. At least once.

Whitefish, heli-skiing, maybe cat skiing and a trip to whistler are also on the docket for the year. I can't wait!!

My Ride
    Model S

Gonna try and get a tour of various resorts in the west US this year. Probably wont get time for everything, but Jackson Hole, Big Sky/Bridger, Tahoe, Utah and Colorado are on my list. Haven't been to any, so if anyone has tips on hidden gem resorts in those areas, post them! I know CO and UT have a lot but not sure which are a good balance of size/traffic/price.

My Ride
    05 Civic

Heading down to Fernie for a trip this year. Would like to try to get out to Revy or Kicking Horse as well, but we will see. Getting stoked!

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

I spend most of my time at Sunshine with trips every so often here and there. Probably did 15-20 days at Sunshine last year, and 10-15 at Revy, Kicking Horse, Whistler and Nakiska.

So whats everyone riding? I am going to stick with my 184 Line Sir Francis Bacons (early and late season skis now), 189 K2 Pettitors (great for everything but a bit long for the trees I find, and 179 K2 Hellbents (Powder and Tree Skis).

My Ride
    Subaru wagon

im riding 178 k2 kung fujus w/ Rossi axial bindings (bright orange)
    and a 155 rome agent w/ technine bindings and van bfb boots.

How often do you guys go? I would like to make some more friends to ride with. My skill level is up to double black, however i can ski/ride with anyone as i usually practice riding switch/backwards. Also skiing is new to me (first season was last year), still can ride doubles and moguls but im a little slower.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Originally posted by CivicTunr
    im riding 178 k2 kung fujus w/ Rossi axial bindings (bright orange)
    and a 155 rome agent w/ technine bindings and van bfb boots.

How often do you guys go? I would like to make some more friends to ride with. My skill level is up to double black, however i can ski/ride with anyone as i usually practice riding switch/backwards. Also skiing is new to me (first season was last year), still can ride doubles and moguls but im a little slower.
    Personally I have been skiing since I was two and did a lot of racing when I was younger as well as ski jumped for many years as well, then coached briefly as well. I ski for fun now and don't tend to board much anymore, but my friends are all a mix, some ski and some board.

My Ride
    Lariat

haha this thread starts earlier every year!

Got my louise pass a few months back, hoping i can get my patella tendonitis down so i can ski hard this year!

I just bought a house so I wont be picking up any new gear this season so I will be rocking all my last years stuff:

185 Armada JJs with axial 140
    181 Armada Ar7s with FKS 140

Saga Anomie Red jacket and Grey/black pants

a few pics for the thread!

_____ASP______

current ski quiver:
    park, all mtn 181 ON3P Kartel 98
    park,all mtn: 181 Armada AR7
    big mtn, pow: 185 Armada JJ

My Ride
    Subaru WRX

My board needs a tune...real bad. Stoked.

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

Revvy Opening day, Whitefish for 7 days over new years, and always a few trips to revvy/whitefish/fernie every year...

I want new snow pants, bindings, lid and goggles and i should be good to go

Picked up some new Union SL bindings, pumped to try em

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

Goal for this year is to stay injury and avalanche free, hit Roger's Pass at least 5-10 times, make a trip to Icefields Parkway and Yoho, maybe even French-Haig-Robertson.

New gear will definitely include an airbag, new pants, maybe a digital beacon as well.

Most of all I hope for the rock solid snow pack we had last year.

I know that there are some VERY good skiers on beyond. This is going to sound sorta dumb, but how did you guys get to that level? Do you have competitive ski backgrounds?

I've been skiing casually for 20+ years, but it feels like I haven't really gotten any better for the last 5-10 years. I can get down anything on the hill, but I don't have the smoothness, style, and grace that I want on double diamonds and even some single diamonds. I'm not comfortable with any serious air either.

It gets sort of discouraging ending a season and feeling like I haven't made any real progress in my skill level.

I would love to understand how to keep progressing and eventually get to that elite sort of level that I know some of you guys have!

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Originally posted by a61z
    I know that there are some VERY good skiers on beyond. This is going to sound sorta dumb, but how did you guys get to that level? Do you have competitive ski backgrounds?

I've been skiing casually for 20+ years, but it feels like I haven't really gotten any better for the last 5-10 years. I can get down anything on the hill, but I don't have the smoothness, style, and grace that I want on double diamonds and even some single diamonds. I'm not comfortable with any serious air either.

It gets sort of discouraging ending a season and feeling like I haven't made any real progress in my skill level.

I would love to understand how to keep progressing and eventually get to that elite sort of level that I know some of you guys have!
    Competitive background for me, but in other types of skiing. I just always loved it, not so much competition and training but going out and exploring, having fun, skiing with my dad and my friends and everyone just pushing each other. Sometimes it leads to hilarious mistakes and sometimes it leads to broken equipment and injuries.

Originally posted by Chester
    Picked up some new Union SL bindings, pumped to try em

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version
    I got Union Forces last year, pretty amazing. I never liked that toe cup setup but with these it seemed to be different, and increased my confidence and steerability on double blacks quite a bit.

Looks like I'm sitting this one out, seeing the surgeon in 7 days and ACL rebuild anyday after that. That's ok- gonna give 'er with the rehab, and stay focused on how awesome it's gonna be when I don't have to put that knee brace on anymore!
    Last edited by heavyfuel; 09-03-2013 at 04:26 PM.

My Ride
    Bang Bus

Just bought some new gear so excited! 2014 forum destroyer camber and 2014 union force bindings. [IMG][/IMG]

Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo

Competitive background for me, but in other types of skiing. I just always loved it, not so much competition and training but going out and exploring, having fun, skiing with my dad and my friends and everyone just pushing each other. Sometimes it leads to hilarious mistakes and sometimes it leads to broken equipment and injuries.
    Thanks for the insight. Most of my friends are intermediate at best, so maybe I'm just not pushing myself out of my comfort zone often enough. I guess I just got to wondering if maybe most of those really good skiers have some sort of background/foundations that I'm simply missing. For now I'll just work on being more adventurous and getting some extra bruises this season haha

Currently riding Rocker 2's with marker dukes.

Anyone have any suggestions on a set up for back country touring? Looking for lighter and a good quality ski.

TIA

Page 1 of 41 1 2 11 ... LastLast