Quantcast
looking for a diesel repair shop in or near calgary - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: looking for a diesel repair shop in or near calgary

My Ride
    i dont drive, i fly

Default looking for a diesel repair shop in or near calgary

I have a jeep liberty CRD and its not running. I am looking for diesel reapair shop that specializes in late model diesels. I think jeep uses bosch fuel system that is similar to the one used on cummins diesels.

Please recommend a good reliable honest cummins expert in calgary.

Thank you.

"Good diesel shop" and "Calgary" cannot be found in the same sentence. If you can get your jeep to Armor in Red Deer believe me it'll be worth the extra hassle. They stand behind their work. Full Cummins rebuild in 09, not a problem yet. DPS tried to charge me $49 for and EGR blocker plate, and $500 to turn the EGR settings off in the ECU with EFI Live on my Duramax. VIN license are $100 each and it takes a whole 4 minutes. All the while talking to me like I don't know anything about diesels. Big Dog tried to charge me $575 for a valve adjustment a few years back, once again trying to make it sound like this big complicated procedure. GCL says they replaced 2 injectors in my Cummins about 5 years ago but it ran worse than when I dropped it off, pretty sure they just tried to clean them and put em back in. In my opinion diesel shops here in town are a fine example of Calgary's me first, fuck you attitude.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Broken Axle.

Down in Avenida and do the majority of their work on Jeeps and diesels.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    something green

Originally posted by heavyfuel
    GCL says they replaced 2 injectors in my Cummins about 5 years ago but it ran worse than when I dropped it off, pretty sure they just tried to clean them and put em back in. In my opinion diesel shops here in town are a fine example of Calgary's me first, fuck you attitude.
    I took a 94 cummins there, they were just guessing at the rough running and throwing parts at it.. I found the problem myself in the end, it was loose torque converter bolts.

Tower Chrysler does have a really good Diesel guy as well, you have to specifically ask for Andy.
    Too loud for Aspen

". DPS tried to charge me $49 for and EGR blocker plate, and $500 to turn the EGR settings off in the ECU with EFI Live on my Duramax. VIN license are $100 each and it takes a whole 4 minutes..
    By no means am I officiated with DPS, but this made me lol.

So are you saying that a shop should buy a $2000 pass through device that can half ass flash Duramax/Cummings products and charge $150 for each program?

The website says the licenses are $125USD. Any J2534 or J1850 aftermarket flashes are catered for the USA and not for Canada. It takes a huge amount of bullshit to buy a license for Canada and usually requires a USA address. Then on top of it these programs run on federally mandated programming protocols. The manufacture puts in the bare minim to appease the government. That means you can put a program into the pcm but cannot finish the job with out a factory scan tool. Each factory scan tool costs about $10 000 and about $1500 a year for subscriptions to maintain functionality. Then your paying a tech $30 to $40 an hour to figure all of this out.

So yeah I think $500 is fair, unless you want to spend $15000 to try it yourself.

To the op,
    I would take it to Tower or Courtesy, I have never seen aftermarket training for these engines. All because it has a Bosch design dose not mean it hasn't been molested by Daimler. These were experimental engines in North America and not a whole lot is known about them.

Originally posted by HO2S

By no means am I officiated with DPS, but this made me lol.

So are you saying that a shop should buy a $2000 pass through device that can half ass flash Duramax/Cummings products and charge $150 for each program?

The website says the licenses are $125USD. Any J2534 or J1850 aftermarket flashes are catered for the USA and not for Canada. It takes a huge amount of bullshit to buy a license for Canada and usually requires a USA address. Then on top of it these programs run on federally mandated programming protocols. The manufacture puts in the bare minim to appease the government. That means you can put a program into the pcm but cannot finish the job with out a factory scan tool. Each factory scan tool costs about $10 000 and about $1500 a year for subscriptions to maintain functionality. Then your paying a tech $30 to $40 an hour to figure all of this out.

So yeah I think $500 is fair, unless you want to spend $15000 to try it yourself.

To the op,
    I would take it to Tower or Courtesy, I have never seen aftermarket training for these engines. All because it has a Bosch design dose not mean it hasn't been molested by Daimler. These were experimental engines in North America and not a whole lot is known about them.
    Well, don't now where you're getting your info from but my buddy who ended up doing it, paid $700 for EFI live and the handheld hardware, and the VIN license was $100. You don't need a 15k scan tool to turn off the EGR settings, although EFI live probably could be managed on one such unit. If that's what they were using, then sure. But still. I don't like the way he was talking to me over the phone.

Well, don't now where you're getting your info from but my buddy who ended up doing it, paid $700 for EFI live and the handheld hardware, and the VIN license was $100. You don't need a 15k scan tool to turn off the EGR settings, although EFI live probably could be managed on one such unit. If that's what they were using, then sure. But still. I don't like the way he was talking to me over the phone.
    I'm getting my info from experience. All because your buddy did it for xxx.xx doesn't mean every vehicle is like that. If you think you can program every vehicle from a J-box you looking for a world of trouble. Gm is the most friendly when it comes to SAE protocol programming.

Your friend paid $700 to do it him self, would it not be cheaper to have DPS do it for $500.

I have a lot of experience programming Ford, GM, and Chrysler through J2534 J-boxes and I`m saying $500 is a good deal.

whats the car doing or not doing?

the crd engine is Mercedes. Same engine found in the ML / GL and ect
    Euro

My Ride
    i dont drive, i fly

Thank you very much for your input.

I am trying to stay away from the stealerships.

Anybody has any experience with the broken axle in avenida ?

It just wont start, it does turn over. Libertys don't have Mercedes engine, engine is made by some Italian company call VM something.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

VM-Motori was the engine in the KJ.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

I'm getting my info from experience. All because your buddy did it for xxx.xx doesn't mean every vehicle is like that. If you think you can program every vehicle from a J-box you looking for a world of trouble. Gm is the most friendly when it comes to SAE protocol programming.

Your friend paid $700 to do it him self, would it not be cheaper to have DPS do it for $500.

I have a lot of experience programming Ford, GM, and Chrysler through J2534 J-boxes and I`m saying $500 is a good deal.
    He paid $700 for EFI live and the "J-Box" or whatever you wanna call it, the unit that plugs into the OBD port. He already had it so it was a much better deal to pay him for the VIN license and $50 for 4 minutes work to turn off the EGR settings. Any way you slice it $500 for 4 minutes of work is not a good deal.

Are you a diesel tech? Did you learn everything you know about diesels in a classroom or have you actually owned any?
    Last edited by heavyfuel; 09-02-2013 at 07:08 AM.

He paid $700 for EFI live and the "J-Box" or whatever you wanna call it, the unit that plugs into the OBD port. He already had it so it was a much better deal to pay him for the VIN license and $50 for 4 minutes work to turn off the EGR settings. Any way you slice it $500 for 4 minutes of work is not a good deal.

Are you a diesel tech? Did you learn everything you know about diesels in a classroom or have you actually owned any?
    Don't worry about him. He's your typical know nothing, but thinks he knows everything mechanic. I put him on my ignore list when he suggested a leak down test and cylinders full of fuel in a rotary engine thread

I'm surprised he didn't suggest the OP check his spark plugs and coils

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

^ LMAO... wow...

Originally posted by FraserB
    Broken Axle.

Are they down in Avenida now? shit, thats really close by. Last time I was there, it was in 32nd ave NE industrial IIRC.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    i dont drive, i fly

Originally posted by Graham_A_M
    ^ LMAO... wow...

Are they down in Avenida now? shit, thats really close by. Last time I was there, it was in 32nd ave NE industrial IIRC.
    Are they good with diesels or should go to dealership ?

When I think about dealership , I think about salvaging the jeep because last time dealer was asking $1200 for lifters for parts only , I ordered for $350 shipped from the US, OEM genuine parts.

What i'm saying is you have to be careful with protocol flashing and depending on what you are doing you may need a factory scan to for configuring and resetting. Unless you have the tools it can get very expensive very fast. I know thins because I have been burned many times doing it.

rx7:
    I will be the first to admit that I said something wrong and made a mistake. From that big bitch battle I learned a lot about rotarys. I said that I wrote that out of hast and said I was wrong but you would not let it go. So really I don't have much else to say to you.

^^ Next time my wiper blades are out of balance or my HID's are low on fluid, I'll make sure I get your opinion lol

My Ride
    General Motors Competizione

What i'm saying is you have to be careful with protocol flashing and depending on what you are doing you may need a factory scan to for configuring and resetting. Unless you have the tools it can get very expensive very fast. I know thins because I have been burned many times doing it.
    You obviously don't know what EFI Live is. $500 might be a good deal for a lot of things. $500 isn't a good deal for a simple EFI Live tune.

I wouldn't go to DPS either. It's a long story without any real payoff, but the short version is they said they could and would do something a certain way, and then they didn't. It wasn't a big deal and I wasn't really out any time or money, but fuck 'em anyway.

Originally posted by SKR

You obviously don't know what EFI Live is. $500 might be a good deal for a lot of things. $500 isn't a good deal for a simple EFI Live tune.
    It's not worth it with him, just throw him on the ignore list and move on. The rotary thread went the same way. If he follows the same pattern he'll now spout a bunch of technical nonsense unrelated to the topic at hand, and mention his specific knowledge and technical training .

Originally posted by FraserB
    Broken Axle.

No. Hacks.

My Ride
    14 fit, 11 Ridgeline, 12 outlander

Originally posted by Ven

No. Hacks.

Care to elaborate? I've heard nothing but good things...
    Originally posted by Unknown303
    Everything makes me upset.
    Originally posted by Mibz
    Nonsense. You've all got slanty eyes, play Starcraft, speak Chinese and eat nothing but sushi and ginger beef.

DON'T TRY AND CONVINCE ME OTHERWISE

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast