Quantcast
Are wheel spacers/adapters safe to run? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Are wheel spacers/adapters safe to run?

My Ride
    2009 Nissan 370Z

Default Are wheel spacers/adapters safe to run?

I was looking into these to give my car a more flush look. But I am having trust issues with these things. Does anyone here run them or know if they are reliable? I don't think the washer spacers are to safe considering they eliminate threads and leave very little to bolt the wheel on. The adapters looks safer, but I just don't want my wheels falling off.

anybody with experience?

My Ride
    teslo murdel free

I used 7mm spacers on my old s2000 for over a year and had no problems at all. The bigger ones 10mm+ should have their own threads and in should be a bit more "safe"

My Ride
    D40/ED9/R6

when I added spacers I did it properly by replacing all the studs with extended ARP studs.
    "Anarchism is not a romantic fable but the hardheaded realization, based on five thousand years of experience, that we cannot entrust the management of our lives to kings, priests, politicians, generals, and county commissioners."

My Ride
    12' Civic, 88' Prelude, 02' F350

Make sure you get a decent brand if you are getting bolt on spacers. My friend was running 25mm Inchiba's and had two lug's shear off of the adapter itself.

I would recommend grabbing some extended lugs and buying slip on's.

My Ride
    65 Chevy C10

I ran 20mm spacers with longer bolts (vw's don't use studs) for two years and had zero issues. I now have 20mm 5x100 to 5x120 adapters on all four corners and I've still never had an issue.

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

The biggest thing is to make sure their torqued to spec. I ran spacers, and didn't do that... I didn't have a wheel fall off, but quite close.

Quite a valuable lesson learned that day.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    1988 300zxt, 90 jetta

Torqued to spec, hubcentric, good brand. I've definitely heard mixed reviews from the Ichiba stuff. I've been running them for a while without issue though.

I've also heard of huge hp builds running spacers/adapters for years without issue, so as long as you do it right they're just fine.

If you take anything I have to say seriously, you're gunna have a bad time.
    1988 300zxt. gt35, stance coils, etc.
    1990 Jetta VR6 Daily, "stock"

Originally posted by ercchry
    people are dumb, kids need to stop playing in the streets, SW soccer moms are the worst kind of people, the end

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Why don't you just buy wheels that fit?

Originally posted by benyl
    Unless ordering custom sizing, wheels aren't always available in favourable offsets for a particular model. Nothing wrong with spacers if the thread length is there - Porsche have been doing it for years
    HKS T04Z Bridgeport FD3S

My Ride
    1988 300zxt, 90 jetta

It's definitely nice to be able to buy wheels that fit, but sometimes a great deal comes along on wheels that need a bit of spacing to get them to sit where you want them to.

Example: You really want work emotion xd-9's because you like the spokes and the dish. Their +20 model will fit your car great, but some +38's come along for a great deal so you pick those up. No reason to pass them up, lip size is the same and you save a bunch of cash. Drop $150 on some spacers and you're gravy.

If you take anything I have to say seriously, you're gunna have a bad time.
    1988 300zxt. gt35, stance coils, etc.
    1990 Jetta VR6 Daily, "stock"

Originally posted by ercchry
    people are dumb, kids need to stop playing in the streets, SW soccer moms are the worst kind of people, the end

My Ride
    2009 Nissan 370Z

Well because I like my wheels and I don't really have 2000 or more to spend on another set of wheels. But I was interested in spacers because with them I can have a perfect fit. But I never used them so don't know if they are safe.

My Ride
    Lariat

Originally posted by VW337
    I ran 20mm spacers with longer bolts (vw's don't use studs) for two years and had zero issues. I now have 20mm 5x100 to 5x120 adapters on all four corners and I've still never had an issue.
    Ditto, ran 20mm rear spacers in my R last year with no problems, and now with my new wheels I am running 8mm adaptors upfront and 20mm in the rear, no problems.

The main thing is dont cheap out, get a good brand thats tested and approved, TUV etc, and you shouldnt have any problems
    _____ASP______

current ski quiver:
    park, all mtn 181 ON3P Kartel 98
    park,all mtn: 181 Armada AR7
    big mtn, pow: 185 Armada JJ

My Ride
    Calgary Transit

I have the Ichiba spacers for close to a year now and I've had no issues. No vibrations, wheel wobbles, or a wheel falling off. I have both the Version 1 (regular) and Version 2 (bolt-on type) spacers for my car. For the Version 1, make sure you get the extended wheel studs and also ensure that the spacers are hub centric. If you are using Version 2 the bolt-on type, make sure you torque the bolts to specifications and you should be fine. Re-torque both the spacers and wheels after 100 miles like usual after installation.

My Ride
    ep3

Originally posted by Freestylin
    I have the Ichiba spacers for close to a year now and I've had no issues. No vibrations, wheel wobbles, or a wheel falling off. I have both the Version 1 (regular) and Version 2 (bolt-on type) spacers for my car. For the Version 1, make sure you get the extended wheel studs and also ensure that the spacers are hub centric. If you are using Version 2 the bolt-on type, make sure you torque the bolts to specifications and you should be fine. Re-torque both the spacers and wheels after 100 miles like usual after installation.
    +1, I've had Ichiba v2 spacers for over a year now and have had no issues with them

My Ride
    981 GT4/F82 M4

I run +25mm H&R spacers with my stock RX-8 wheels :> No issues yet.

My Ride
    G37X

Originally posted by BananaFob
    I run +25mm H&R spacers with my stock RX-8 wheels :> No issues yet.
    x2 same setup on my Camaro with C5 wheels

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

If you're going to run spacers, don't cheap out. H&R spacers and/or ARP studs are the way to go.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    V167

25mm H&R adapters on my LM's for the past 6+ years I think. Not an issue to speak of.

My Ride
    2002 Audi 225TT

Originally posted by DeleriousZ
    Torqued to spec, hubcentric, good brand . . . I've also heard of huge hp builds running spacers/adapters for years without issue, so as long as you do it right they're just fine.
    This. Spacers are used lots in racing, and some Porsches even come from the factory with them. As long as they're machined well and you use proper fasteners (grade, length, head seat, torquing methodology, etc.), spacers are perfectly safe.
    '02 Audi TT 225 - 2.0L - PTE6262 .83 Daily @ 30PSI - 10.0:1CR - AEB @ 9000RPM