Quantcast
Another Ticket Question - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Another Ticket Question

My Ride
    Genesis 2.0T

Default Another Ticket Question

Not going to sit here and complain or bitch that I got a ticket, I acknowledge that I was in fact going over the 80 limit but curious as to how it unfolded. Also I've heard there's no reason to fight these anymore as far as getting the ticket reduced/demerits dropped as they don't do that anymore? Can anyone confirm?

Heading east on crowchild near dalhousie station, I am car #1 doing about 100 give or take, car 3 has been behind me for some time also doing 100, car 2 is also doing the same speed. The 3 of us all traveling in a group since the crowfoot off ramp.

Car #4 is doing at least 120+ and over taking the group of us, motorcycle cop appears out of no where (possible an off ramp) and proceeds to ignore #4 and pull me over. Comes up to the window asks me if I understand how a speedometer works, asks for license and says nothing more. Comes back and hands me a ticket for doing 120 and says "sucks to drive such a fancy car" and tells me to have a good day.

Ticket says I was "clocked" which I assume is borderline estimation? there's a field for radar/airplane and estimation as well tho. I just don't understand how out of the 4 vehicles he picked me. (Radar detector didn't got off and I know he didn't zap me)

Again, not going to deny I was doing over 80 but I was in the flow of traffic with someone over taking me doing 120+ and I know for a fact I was well below 120.

My Ride
    '01 B15 Sentra & '10 C11X Versa 6Sp 5Dr

Hard to say how he "clocked" you. For all you know, cars 2, 3, and 4 could all have been hidden cop cars. They can be REALLY well hidden these days. I think they keep a few not so well hidden ones with their much better hidden counterparts to give you a false sense of security that you can actually spot them. Or there could've been someone ahead out of their vehicle on an overpass / underpass / behind a sign, etc. Sometimes they could just look like a guy by the side of the road. I've definitely seen some pretty sneaky stuff that would have caught me if it weren't for the fact that I mostly stick with the post maximums with maybe 5~10km/h over tops. Probably best to treat every other unknown car like you would in the Matrix. Every single one of them have the possibility of being the police.
    Last edited by ga16i; 09-03-2013 at 09:11 AM.
    Someday we may need to activate the halo structure off Deerfoot and destroy the North East.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I drive this stretch of road daily, the bike cops hide behind the underpass, clock and chase/ticket. Average speed is 100 here, so you're not going to get a ticket at 100. If what you said is true, the cop stopped the wrong car. Fight the ticket.

This is where a dashcam comes in handy, show the footage to the crown, and it'll get dropped. There's another beyonder that got a ticket thrown out by using dashcam footage.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    8P 3.2

Default Re: Another Ticket Question

Originally posted by Royle9
    Comes back and hands me a ticket for doing 120 and says "sucks to drive such a fancy car" and tells me to have a good day.
    I gather from your profile you drive a Genesis 2.0T? The fact that he made the comment about your car says to me you were profiled somewhat. The Genesis coupe is a cop magnet. Almost as bad as riding around in a rally blue STi. My boss has a Genesis Coupe and gets pulled over all the time. Once for speeding (was going the same speed as everyone else) and a bunch of other times for various suspicions, no tickets.

I would love to buy a TT for my next car but don't want the attention. Which is why I'll likely buy an S4.

My Ride
    My wife crazy!

Plead not guilty. Request disclosure. All your questions will be answered.

My Ride
    Das Fahrenheit

Default Re: Re: Another Ticket Question

Comes back and hands me a ticket for doing 120 and says "sucks to drive such a fancy car" and tells me to have a good day.

What a dick...and some wonder why some police get a bad rap.

Originally posted by frizzlefry

I gather from your profile you drive a Genesis 2.0T? The fact that he made the comment about your car says to me you were profiled somewhat. The Genesis coupe is a cop magnet. Almost as bad as riding around in a rally blue STi.
    So true

Usually 'clocked' means that he matched speeds with your vehicle and maintained a constant distance for some time period reading the speed off of his speedometer throughout. That would explain why your radar/laser detector didn't go off at all.

My guess is that he probably saw the other guy passing you, but had already finished his clock when that happened, so he went ahead and pulled you over - a bird in the hand and whatnot.

ETA: Forgot to add that yes, you can still go down and talk to the prosecutors on the second floor of the courthouse. They'll usually cut the fine in half (or thereabouts), but they are not supposed to let you plead as Registered Owner and avoid all demerits.

My prediction - they'll let you plead to 20 over rather than 40 over, reducing your fine considerably and dropping it from a 4 demerit ticket to a 3 demerit ticket.

If you're lucky, they'll let you plead to 15 over, which would be an 89 dollar fine (If I recall correctly) and 2 demerits.
    Last edited by dexlargo; 09-03-2013 at 12:07 PM.

My Ride
    whatever I feel like

How is driving 100km/h in a 80km/h not guilty? I would really like to know...

Originally posted by NoMoreG35
    How is driving 100km/h in a 80km/h not guilty? I would really like to know...
    Don't believe the OP ever claimed they were not guilty - just that they are questioning the speed of which they were accused of doing.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    whatever I feel like

Originally posted by Traffic_Cop
    I was referring to this...

My Ride
    8P 3.2

Default Re: Re: Re: Another Ticket Question

Originally posted by Canmorite
    What a dick...and some wonder why some police get a bad rap.
    OP mentioned his radar detector did not go off. Maybe the cop saw it and decided to get a little condescending?

Does not excuse the quip but I would always expect a little attitude if I had a radar detector in plain sight when pulled over. Thats why I took the visor clip for my V1 and hooked it into the roof liner up by the rear view mirror, power cable run under the liner into the fuse panel. Can't see it from the outside (1 inch from the glass, snugged right up to the rear-view) nor inside unless an officer decides to stick his head in and look up. Best radar reception is up high anyways.

Had it hooked up that way when I got pulled over for a U-Turn ticket some years ago. Officer had no idea it was there, was very friendly through the whole stop, never came close to glancing at it.

I was referring to this...
    Okay, but it would appear the suggestion to 'plead not guilty' was provided in order for the OP to get more details of the charge in question - not necessarily that the OP was guilty or not.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    8P 3.2

Originally posted by speedog

Okay, but it would appear the suggestion to 'plead not guilty' was provided in order for the OP to get more details of the charge in question - not necessarily that the OP was guilty or not.
    Loaded advice if you ask me. Plead not guilty, removing the chance of getting it reduced, so you can get disclosure and find out how you were clocked.

Unless you can get disclosure before entering a plea? I would hope you could.

My Ride
    Genesis 2.0T

Originally posted by rage2
    I drive this stretch of road daily, the bike cops hide behind the underpass, clock and chase/ticket. Average speed is 100 here, so you're not going to get a ticket at 100. If what you said is true, the cop stopped the wrong car. Fight the ticket.

This is where a dashcam comes in handy, show the footage to the crown, and it'll get dropped. There's another beyonder that got a ticket thrown out by using dashcam footage.
    Yea, I drive it daily as well and I'm pretty keen on keeping an eye out in all the usual spots like you've outlined. Even still can I fight a ticket saying I was doing 100 vs 120 to get it thrown out?

Fizzle - I do, and yea its modded so I get glares all the time and have been subject to a few "random" pull overs because my car "matched a description" of one they were looking for.

My Ride
    8P 3.2

Fizzle - I do, and yea its modded so I get glares all the time and have been subject to a few "random" pull overs because my car "matched a description" of one they were looking for.
    My boss's is modded too. Lowered, tint, customs rims etc etc. 5 times he has been pulled over, officer sees a 50 year old white dude in a tie driving, says "Carry on, thanks for your co-operation" and sends him on his way.

Funny how cars get profiled. Guy I know has an GTI R32. Always gets tagged by lidar when in a flock of cars, been pulled over 3 times for legal tint examination, pulled over twice for "matched description" type things. Take the same car, slap an Audi logo on it and I never get bothered at all

My Ride
    Genesis 2.0T

Originally posted by Traffic_Cop
    Fair enough, I suppose it would come down to his word vs mine as there's no "proof" as far as a radar reading is concerned?

I have a clean driving record 15+ years (1 photo radar ticket) but I doubt that holds up much vs a cop's statement.

Dexlargo - Yea I thought the same, but its weird because in order to clock me he would to have had to ignore 2 other vehicles + the guy blowing up the far lane in his blacked out Mini cooper. Just unfortunate timing maybe, I saw the bike behind me for maybe 10 seconds max.

Is the 2nd floor where I go into a court room, or is that just the windows where one would pay the ticket? I recall they have a bunch of rooms with different cases posted on the front board and you sort of just stand around and wait until your turn.

My Ride
    8P 3.2

Fair enough, I suppose it would come down to his word vs mine as there's no "proof" as far as a radar reading is concerned?

I have a clean driving record 15+ years (1 photo radar ticket) but I doubt that holds up much vs a cop's statement.

Dexlargo - Yea I thought the same, but its weird because in order to clock me he would to have had to ignore 2 other vehicles + the guy blowing up the far lane in his blacked out Mini cooper. Just unfortunate timing maybe, I saw the bike behind me for maybe 10 seconds max.
    Cop's word will win. They even accept "visual estimations", which is why there is a box for it on the ticket.

The faster guy was a Mini? You got profiled for sure. Bet the officer figured more chance for a warrent or drugs in the modded Genesis as opposed to the cute little mini. I figure he was part enforcing the traffic code, part fishing for some more serious stuff.

My Ride
    Genesis 2.0T

Originally posted by frizzlefry

Cop's word will win. They even accept "visual estimations", which is why there is a box for it on the ticket.

The faster guy was a Mini? You got profiled for sure. Bet the officer figured more chance for a warrent or drugs in the modded Genesis as opposed to the cute little mini. I figure he was part enforcing the traffic code, part fishing for some more serious stuff.
    Yea it was a dark colored mini, tint all around (including fronts / couldn't see driver) black rims, it was definitely modded somewhat.

I figured its a bit of both, and to clarify I'm not saying I wasn't guilty ( I know I am and accept it ) but when I'm doing the speed everyone was doing and get picked out of the crowd because my car is "fancy" and told I'm doing 120 I find it a bit ridiculous.

My Ride
    whatever I feel like

Originally posted by speedog

So I asked "how is driving 100 in 80 zone not guilty?"

My Ride
    Hybrid

So I asked "how is driving 100 in 80 zone not guilty?"
    Not guilty because 100km/h in an 80km/h is not guilty of 120km/h to which he's being charged.
    Originally posted by max_boost
    Hey baller, any problem money can solve is no problem at all. Don't sweat it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast