Quantcast
Jiu jitsu or mma training? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Jiu jitsu or mma training?

My Ride
    335xi 70 c10 84 c10 Indian chief

Default Jiu jitsu or mma training?

I am interested in doing jiu jitsu or mma I am not sure which would be more beneficial or just more fun. I put my kid in jiu jitsu and he loves it, I like takedowns and grappling, but I also want to strike. I like the idea of progressing with belts though. I'm at a standstill haha. Any ideas from people who have trained either or both?

Mma university is the new premier facitly in calgary. They would have everything you are looking for and more . They have gi bbj classes, no gii, wrestling , boxing , Maui Thai, wrestling, fitness classes... Almost everything . The owner Tim Blanchard is also a great guy, give them a vist and you wil not be let down.

My Ride

I was going to do gracie barra for jiu jitsu. And perhaps canuckles

i train at champions creed. i've been with them since the gym name was BDB martial arts. i can't believe it's been 8 yrs since i started, and i only found out about it from a thread on beyond!
    Originally posted by beyond_ban
    Are you looking for a happy ending?? If so, PM me...

My Ride

How are the people at champions creed? I was looking there also, I don't know if progressing is worth it at an older age or if jut gettin all kinds of training in would have more of a benefit

i honestly love this gym. everyone is helpful and will give advice to help you get better.

age group ranges from 14 yr olds up to some who are over 40 (no joke) and fitness level varies from regular people (like me) to professional fighters.

we offer a 1 week free pass wherein you can try all of the classes, except sparring.

i've been doing muay thai for 8 yrs and i dont really grapple because of a neck injury. i started grappling again last saturday and there were 4 of us noobs. just let them know you're a noob and they'll go easy on you. it's obviously biased, but i do love this gym.

just let me know if you have further questions.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Bump.

Anyone else train at other gyms? Just had my first BJJ class today at Champions Creed and it was fun. Very technical, and have lots to learn. Fun teachers haha.

Just looking if there are other good gyms in town to try before committing. It's a pricey proposition.

My Ride
    NC1

What are the hours like flip?
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    210000 km oldie

http://championscreed.ca/index.php/hours-of-operation

Prices seem reasonable compared to other places. I think some grappling skills plus striking skills would be a good combination. If you enjoy grappling and BJJ plus some Muay Thai then great. Look at it from the enjoyment standpoint plus self defense.

My Ride
    2005 F350

http://www.calgarymartialarts.com/

this is where my kids go for Muay Thai. The people there are nice and the location is perfect for my family.
    "Make Canada a better place, punch a Canuck fan in the face" - Jim Rome

My Ride
    Exploded.

Originally posted by max_boost
    What are the hours like flip?

Originally posted by bigbadboss101
    http://championscreed.ca/index.php/hours-of-operation

Prices seem reasonable compared to other places. I think some grappling skills plus striking skills would be a good combination. If you enjoy grappling and BJJ plus some Muay Thai then great. Look at it from the enjoyment standpoint plus self defense.
    Yeah, times are 7PM onwards for BJJ and Wrestling. The cool part is that you can do a 4 session trial, and there's no expiration date on when you can use it. You can also do two classes in one night and it would only count once out of your 4 trials.

I found BJJ to be technical and a patience game. I like it. I was also really exhausted after that 90 minute session so couldn't do wrestling

Originally posted by SOAB
    http://www.calgarymartialarts.com/

this is where my kids go for Muay Thai. The people there are nice and the location is perfect for my family.
    Thanks for the recommendation, but that's way too far for me to regularly attend. How are your kids liking Muay Thai?

My Ride
    2005 F350

Originally posted by flipstah

Thanks for the recommendation, but that's way too far for me to regularly attend. How are your kids liking Muay Thai?
    they say its hard work and they complain that they're tired. haha. but they still have fun so its great.
    "Make Canada a better place, punch a Canuck fan in the face" - Jim Rome

Originally posted by flipstah
    Bump.

Anyone else train at other gyms? Just had my first BJJ class today at Champions Creed and it was fun. Very technical, and have lots to learn. Fun teachers haha.

Just looking if there are other good gyms in town to try before committing. It's a pricey proposition.
    hey man! glad you had fun! i'm usually at the gym, but i got lazy last night haha! was it gary that ran the circuit class? haha yeah, all the instructors there are awesome.

if you're there tonight for the 7pm muay thai class, give me a shout! i'll be doing the 530pm muay thai class and 7pm gi class.
    Last edited by nj2Type-S; 01-31-2017 at 10:39 AM.

My Ride
    Exploded.

I won't be able to join Muay Thai, but I'm hoping to be there for the Saturday class!

Otherwise, it'll be Mondays for me. I'm just doing budgeting to see if I can afford it haha. $120/month is a lot.

My Ride

I ended up at josh russel jiu jitsu formerly Gracie barra, loved it. Hurt my back (unrelated to jiu jitsu) and haven't been back for a long time. Now my gi doesn't fit. Once it does I'll be back