Quantcast
Almost time for tire shopping! - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Almost time for tire shopping!

My Ride
    Ferrari

Default Almost time for tire shopping!

Fall is fast approaching, which means snow could be upon us before we know it.

My BFG KM2's on my F350 are done. Down near the wear bars and I'm just running them out for the next month or as long as I can get away with it.

I'm trying to decide on what to buy for my next set of rubbers. I'm currently running 35x12.5R18. I want to run the same diameter, but a narrower width. Not really sure what to get to be honest. They are a huge investment with a truck this big. Im primarily highway driving 80% of the time, and the tires need to be good in ice and snow. We use Nitto Trail Grappler MT's (Severe Service) and Duratracs on our oil patch trucks and we get minimal complaints. Some of the trucks run the BFG All-Terrains, which I used to swear by, and get lots of complaints for traction. They dont work as well with a larger track width and truck size.

Problem with the Duratracs and BFG's is Im limited to the 325 or 12.5 width. The Trail Grapplers run a LT295/70R18 which is close to 35 diameter and a narrower width. I dont really want to run another set of KM2's because they HOWL like you wouldn't believe down the highway and in winter, its 4 wheel drive or no wheel drive.

Thoughts?

My Ride
    General Motors Competizione

I think KM2s are the quietest mud tires I've ever had.

BFG All Terrains are the most overrated tire there's ever been. They're round and they hold air, and that's about all they have going for them. I know their whole gimmick is good grip in dirt, but honestly Interco TrXus STSs are better.

If you need to go narrower then Nittos would be fine. I had a set of those in that size and they were really squirmy, but other people say they're not so I don't know what goes on there.

I don't know if there are too many other tires narrower than 12.50 in a 35. Kanati Mud Hogs look the same as the old Goodyear MTRs, in the same way that Cooper STTs look a little like Toyo MTs. They come in a 305. Pro Comp Xtreme MT2s come in a 305 too. I don't know much about either tire.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

My Ride
    2010 frontier pro-4x

I would still go with the Duratracs in the 325, going to be tough to find a narrow 35" winter tire in that rim size. Mickey Thompson baja MTZ is available in a 305/70/18.

Whatever you do get rid of the KM2s before the snow hits, mine are terrible in winter conditions almost brand new.

My Ride
    2014 J150 1UR-FE

I would consider looking at tire size 285/75R18:

Toyo OpenCountry MT 285/75R18 (35.1"x11.6")
    Toyo OpenCountry AT 285/75R18 (34.8"x11.3")

Are you specifically looking for an A/T or M/T tire?

My Ride
    Ferrari

I just looked up the Toyo MT's just before I checked this thread. I always wanted a set of those. They would be ideal. However, at $530 each installed....... yeah.

I'd prefer an MT but an AT may suffice. My KM2's were siped so they were not bad last winter but that siping is gone now.

I think now im looking at more of a value situation because I feel $2000 for tires is too much.
    Life is too short to drive boring cars.

My Ride
    2010 frontier pro-4x

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...0&rd=18&cs=295

$243 per tire free shipping to sweetgrass, MT. Drive the 3 hours and your saving hundreds going that route, $100 in pre-paid Visas back as well.

My Ride
    Ferrari

Shit, even to ship them here cant be that much either lol. Iwas down in seattle last week but never even thought of truck tires then.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-21-2019 at 01:53 PM.

My Ride
    Ferrari

Its more for the look. I wanted to go 37's or 38's but that would kill my already terrible fuel mileage (21MPG Highway). I figured 35's are the perfect balance right now. If I went back to original (33's) then I would probably pick up a few MPG but the truck would look dumb because its got a 6 Inch lift.

I need rubber for the car so I might do a round trip and pick up shoes for both of them.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

When does costco start selling winter tires?
    Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Could have been over 60% if I wasn’t a paper hand bitch

My Ride
    2014 J150 1UR-FE

Any progress on the decision? I am interested to find out what you end up choosing.

My Ride
    Lexus/Toyota

Too early to talk about winter it's almost 30 outside!

Actually, this reminds me that I need to place my winter tire order next week, thanks.

My Ride
    Ferrari

I talked to a couple guys with similar trucks who run the Trail Grappler MT and they said to avoid it for winter conditions. In fact one guy is going to run a completely different tire this winter even though his Trail Grappler MT's are in good condition. I noticed that the Toyo MT's have that little extra sipe in the lugs, where the trail grapplers do not.

Im also considering just running an AT tire with a snow flake, for the amount I actually need mud tires, which is really maybe 10% of the time.

So still shopping at this point. Ruled out the Trail Grappler MT but the Toyo MT's are still sorta on the table. I think the narrower width will help them dig and grab better.

I have Pro-Comp Xtreme AT's 325/65/18 E, and this pic was taken about a month ago, this is year 3 of these tires. These are great for winter too. Don't get Toyos. They pull you all over the place, wear fast and look like shit once they're down to 70%, and they won't be any good in the snow. I had 35" Toyos on my truck a few years back and sold em after 3 weeks, trust me dude don't do it.

Last edited by heavyfuel; 09-14-2013 at 07:28 AM.

My Ride
    911 & Cayenne

Originally posted by Alak
    I talked to a couple guys with similar trucks who run the Trail Grappler MT and they said to avoid it for winter conditions. In fact one guy is going to run a completely different tire this winter even though his Trail Grappler MT's are in good condition. I noticed that the Toyo MT's have that little extra sipe in the lugs, where the trail grapplers do not.

Im also considering just running an AT tire with a snow flake, for the amount I actually need mud tires, which is really maybe 10% of the time.

So still shopping at this point. Ruled out the Trail Grappler MT but the Toyo MT's are still sorta on the table. I think the narrower width will help them dig and grab better.
    I ran a studded trail grappler last winter and thought it was great, studs make all the difference
    We stopped checking for monsters under our beds when we realized they were inside us.

My Ride
    Ford/Audi/Benz

Last edited by DustanS; 09-22-2022 at 11:37 AM.

My Ride
    Ferrari

Thought I would update with a decision.

Going with Toyo AT2 Extreme 285/75R18. Getting them installed at a good price next week when I get home. They measure 34.8 in diameter.

Originally posted by Alak
    Thought I would update with a decision.

Going with Toyo AT2 Extreme 285/75R18. Getting them installed at a good price next week when I get home. They measure 34.8 in diameter.
    I am looking for a set of 295/65R20s for my F350. Where did you order them from?

My Ride
    Ferrari

I ended up getting them through my corporate discount through Kal Tire. I saved a couple bux but it wasn't much over retail. Just wanted to run the Toyo's over the Nitto's.

My Ride
    General Motors Competizione

Totally not what you're looking for, especially since you already found a tire, but I found out the other day that Interco Boggers are now available in a 35x12.50x20 (and 22" too). Used to be you couldn't get anything smaller than 44" on anything bigger than a 17" wheel. That's cool, especially since it'll really annoy all the people who hate short tires and big wheels.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast