Quantcast
What do engineering companies look for on a resume? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: What do engineering companies look for on a resume?

Default What do engineering companies look for on a resume?

I was wondering what I can do to get ahead and be in a better position for employment in engineering in Calgary once I graduate. I'm a second year mechanical engineering student, and I'm trying to get involved this year in things that may be good for my future prospects.

So, I have an average GPA (3.1), and I compete in powerlifting (I train around 10hrs/week) which counts as a sport/extracurricular. I am also planning on joining an engineering team this year (either Formula SAE or the Mini Baja team) so I can get real engineering experience in a team setting. I have previous work experience (Tim Hortons lol), and I don't think I have any volunteering experience.

What else should I do? I'm going to try to score an engineering summer job this year, and then an internship the next. Any input would be appreciated, thanks.

My Ride
    TDi

You're grades are probably below what your competition has right now I would think so you'd have to look at having better volunteer experience and great networking skills.

Prepare to kiss ass lol
    GO FLAMES GO!

My Ride
    Silverado

internship.

3.1 is a plenty of GPA. Just apply to a ton of jobs and work your ass off when you get one.

Spelling mistakes that may indicate a poor understanding of the English language. Also, overseas references esp China/India. These usually get your resume thrown in the garbage.

Seriously, working at Tim Hortons would indicate to me that you could at least speak for yourself in an (English) interview.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Get an engineering job in the summer, it's very important. If you can't do that get into a coop program. It's tough to hire a new grad who has never worked before...

Don't be afraid to call on connections for these jobs. If your aunt/ uncle/ dad etc works for Shell/Nexen/ basically any company that employs engineers ask to get a referal for a summer position.

Aside from that come to any interview after having read the last 3 corporate presentations and always answer any questions they pose to you. Also try to not come off as to much if a brain.

Your gpa is fine. Tbh if you can get summer work it is probable that you can get a full time job with that company without ever showing them a final résumé post grad.

I did the extracurricular teams myself and tbh noone gave a rats ass. If you join the team make sure you do it because you want to because the resume padders are obvious and really end up dragging the teams down.

GL

My Ride
    '15 Grand Cherokee Summit, '18 Golf R

Getting relevant work experience during the summers, and/or doing an internship are the most useful things to do.

Too many new grads put completely irrelevant work/volunteer experience on just to fill up their resume. Of course you should make it clear you have been keeping occupied over the years, but acknowledging that you're pretty useless in the real for-profit world as a fresh grad will make you stand out from the entitled Gen 'Y'ers you'll be competing against.

Don't worry about your GPA. Find somewhere to volunteer on a regular basis, maybe one day a week or something. Like everybody else has mentioned, if you aren't part of a Co-op program then you should start applying for summer jobs with O&G companies immediately. Check out Husky, Imperial, Chevron, Schlumberger, etc. etc. Many of these already have their posting up for next summer and the deadlines are early October.

I'd like to mention that you shouldn't look down on your old job at Tim Horton's. I was hired by one of the biggest operators in the country largely because of my role at Tim Horton's. If you're still working there while in school, apply for a Supervisor or Assistant Manager position. The leadership and time management skills you gain from working somewhere like that are invaluable. During my original interview, our VP of HR brought up the fact that she used to work Storefront at a Timmy's in downtown Toronto and she could understand every point I was making.

Anyway, best of luck with it. Don't mind some of the people on this forum, there are lots of high horses riding around. Keep your GPA > 3.0 and you'll be fine.