Quantcast
Iphone 5S - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 13 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Iphone 5S

Default Iphone 5S

Surprised no thread or discussion from yesterdays apple release on the new iphone5s + iphone5c

I was following most of the stuff on twitter + read up after as my 3 year old iphone4 is up for replacement. I'm surprised how well it has held me over. My contract with rogers was up last week so I'm hoping to get a bit of a price reduction + new phone asap.

With that said, what did everyone think?

A 5S would be my third iphone and obviously very simple to plug n go as I did before. Minus having to purchase a new AMI cable for my Audi.

I'm not always the most up to date on phones, but yesterday after the details I was trying to consider whether I should get 5S, switch to a galaxy S4, maybe try the HTC one. Or see if something else is coming out soon that would sway me. Also rogers was useless on the phone stating prices, dates, when orders could be taken.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

I'm in the exact same boat. Iphone 4 on expiring rogers plan (next week) and wanting to upgrade. I've also only ever had iphones and hate learning new shit like but I'm considering the S4 as well.

I have a retention plan and from what I've read online Rogers is basically forcing everyone into their new overpriced talk/data plans or else they wont give you the discounted phone purchase price. Not sure how non-retention plans are working out on renewals.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

I'd say buy a nexus 4 brand new from Google for 200$ then get a bring your own device discount.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

5S is a decent upgrade from 5 but not something spectacular. It's an evolutionary change, just like the 3G/3GS and 4/4S.

Honestly, I have a Galaxy Note II and an iPhone 5. I've had probably a dozen android devices and I've never found android to be as fast or streamlined as iOS.

That being said, I prefer Windows Phone 8 to them all anyway.

My Ride
    2015 JGC SRT, 2011 Audi S5, MB CLS, 2015 HD RGS

I'm in the same boat as well, coming from a 4S, \I like a couple of the new features, especially the camera. Is the new 5S unlocked? I want to take it to the US for use over the winter.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Aparently the 5C is for poor people. lol

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by benyl
    Aparently the 5C is for poor people. lol
    The 'C' is for Chinese, lol. (Not insinuating Chinese people are poor, Apple themselves said the cheaper iPhones major demographic is China)

Originally posted by A790

I loved my WP7 operating system, it was flawless and I never had any problems with it, however the biggest hurdle was the severe lack of apps. What's the point of having a smartphone when nobody makes any apps for it?
    Last edited by Tik-Tok; 09-11-2013 at 09:49 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Originally posted by A790
    5S is a decent upgrade from 5 but not something spectacular. It's an evolutionary change, just like the 3G/3GS and 4/4S.

Honestly, I have a Galaxy Note II and an iPhone 5. I've had probably a dozen android devices and I've never found android to be as fast or streamlined as iOS.

Why do you people change phones so much? Not criticizing just trying to understand as to me they all perform essentially the same functions. I'm still on my Iphone 4 and it does everything I need of it. Just don't understand the young people obsession with finding the holy grail of cell phones. At the end of the day the largest function of all cell phones is simply texting which can be done with any rudimentary phone. All the other functions I only use when on the road because I prefer my ipad for browsing and aps.

I found this announcement extremely underwhelming. Their stock dropped 3% as well when I looked.

Same old screen, no wireless charging, no wireless AC, no MHL or miracast support, no image stabilization on the camera, and it's ridiculously expensive as per usual ($649/$749/$849). Supposed to be twice as fast as the 5, but the 5 was nothing special, so I don't know what that means. We'll have to see the benchmarks. Nothing new or innovative. Something like the LG G2 blows it out of the water IMO.

My iPhone 4S is the slowest, buggiest POS ever, so I hope iOS 7 at least improves it a bit.

Apple basically markets to girls and people who don't do research, from what I can tell in the last several years. Every girl I know has a MacBook and an iPhone haha.

Originally posted by heavyD

Why do you people change phones so much? Not criticizing just trying to understand as to me they all perform essentially the same functions. I'm still on my Iphone 4 and it does everything I need of it. Just don't understand the young people obsession with finding the holy grail of cell phones. At the end of the day the largest function of all cell phones is simply texting which can be done with any rudimentary phone. All the other functions I only use when on the road because I prefer my ipad for browsing and aps.
    I upgrade every 8-12 months. For me, it's my single most used possession, and I don't have a house phone. It's pretty sad, but I rely on it for everything from waking me up in the morning, all of my email/text/calls, all appointments, music, video, flights, Car2Go, ticket/event bookings, GPS, bill payments, banking, etc. etc. Just about everything. If for $300-350 I can get the best phone on the market every year, that is a small price to pay given how much I use it. Screens get better, speed improves, features are added, cameras get better, battery life improves, etc. For me there are more than enough reasons. I'm on the $57 unlimited everything Fido plan as well, so I never have to sign another contract again.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 09-11-2013 at 10:15 AM.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Originally posted by Tik-Tok

The 'C' is for Chinese, lol. (Not insinuating Chinese people are poor, Apple themselves said the cheaper iPhones major demographic is China)
    enjoy:

http://www.cbc.ca/newsblogs/yourcomm...ed-iphone.html

Rich People: Here's your gold iPhone. Poor People: Here's a plastic iPhone wrapped in a Laundry Basket.
    click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

My Ride
    has a stick axle

Apparently the whole 64 bit processor is more or less useless and a marketing ploy, as explain here

My Ride
    2015 IS350 F Sport

I'm not really an Apple fan to begin with combined with the rumored price meant that I went with the S4 instead of waiting for this one.

Really like the S4. I've had two other Android phones and this one is the best by far.
    "if you disagree with my views are cannot adequately my criticism then ignore my posts." - Nusc

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Originally posted by colinxx235

I just received my phone bill two days ago and my monthly went from 70.04 back up to 96ish. The -25 in credits expired, which sucks.

So I have to wait until I purchase a phone to negotiate with retentions to get it back down to 70. But I want to find a way to get my data from 500 to 1gb (they also include 1 gb free right now, so 2 total). As I went over from time to time.

@HeavyD Not one of those switch all the times. My iphone4 is 3years old with a shattered back glass (held up with a recent carbon fibre ghost armor) as I did this working about 2 months ago. I've noticed it gets slower and slower, i'm assuming IOS7 won't be too friendly. So in addition to contract expiring its perfect time for a new phone.

IMO the galaxy note or any other phablet is way too huge. I wear dress pants mon-fri and my phone is in the front pocket quite a bit.
    It seems like its down to 5S vs Galaxy. The only real feature on the galaxy that I care about is the camera difference vs Iphone. Otherwise some specs are better, but i'm not using them to give a shit.
    I don't know how easy it is to transfer all your iTunes/photos/videos/contacts/apps from 5+years of iphone over to a galaxy as well...
    I am upgrading simply because my iphone 4 has served its purpose and I'm interested in the better camera features (it's essentially my only camera) and yes the OS updates have slowed the phone. My comment was more for the people that change phones anually. I also don't want anything bigger than a 5S as I'm not down with carrying a tablet with me everywhere I go and I have tablets at home to use around the house. For me I have an imac at home, two Apple TV's and I like that I can record my kids at soccer and just turn on my TV and watch the footage seamlessly without transferring anything or turning anything on. Apple devices work so well together with the seamless automatic syncing and there's simply nothing other phones can offer me that iphones don't already have that's worth me changing.

Also since I keep my phones for three years I find the Samsung phones are built like toys with the cheap plastic. Comparing the physical featues between a Galaxy and an iphone is like comparing the interior of a Subaru to an Audi.
    Last edited by heavyD; 09-11-2013 at 10:29 AM.

My Ride
    Bicycle

iPhone 5S = Free fingerprint database for NSA.

My Ride
    1988 300zxt, 90 jetta

This made me look up some phones, and goddamn the note3 looks like

If you take anything I have to say seriously, you're gunna have a bad time.
    1988 300zxt. gt35, stance coils, etc.
    1990 Jetta VR6 Daily, "stock"

Originally posted by ercchry
    people are dumb, kids need to stop playing in the streets, SW soccer moms are the worst kind of people, the end

My Ride
    Has either 2 or 4 wheels

Originally posted by Xtrema
    iPhone 5S = Free fingerprint database for NSA.

This!
    Signature..... I ate it!!

Originally posted by heavyD
    I also don't want anything bigger than a 5S
    4 years ago people would make fun of my Treo 700 for being so big. Now I look at people with these fucking half-tablets and wonder WTF they're thinking. I can't imagine having a phone that barely fits in my pocket.

Originally posted by quick_scar

This!
    The fingerprint is stored locally on the a7 chip and is not accessible by apps and is not uploaded to apple servers.

Since the 5 is now discontinued, what happens to apple care replacements? If I smash my phone in 6 months from now, will they give me a new 5S? A 5C? A refurb 5?

Took a look at this yesterday and was not impressed. I have been looking to upgrade from my s3 to a new phone and was thinking of switching over to iPhone but after seeing the 5s I don't think that is happening. What other phones are coming out this year that are worth checking out? Preferably something that will take a microsd card so my 64gb one doesn't become useless.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 11 ... LastLast