Quantcast
Deerfoot mall redevelopment - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Deerfoot mall redevelopment

My Ride
    Tesla Model 3 AWD

Default Deerfoot mall redevelopment

http://www.calgaryherald.com/busines...290/story.html

CALGARY — Redevelopment plans for the northeast Deerfoot Mall include converting the current enclosed mall to an open-air regional power centre.

Shape Properties, owner of the mall at the southeast corner of Deerfoot Trail and 64th Avenue N.E., says on its website that an additional close to 500,000 square feet of space will be added, bringing total space to just over 1.2 million square feet following redevelopment.

The owner says Deerfoot Mall, on 32 hectares of land, serves a trade area of just over one million people within a 20-minute drive of northeast Calgary and the average household income within that 20-minute drive is $127,659, which is 42 per cent above the national average.

“Deerfoot Mall enjoys unrivalled exposure and access to the more than 128,000 cars/day that travel Alberta’s busiest highway (Deerfoot Trail/Highway 2),” says Shape.

In a news release on Friday, Shape said the redevelopment will encompass the majority of the property with the exception of the Walmart parcel. Construction will take place in several phases over the next five years in order to keep existing tenants, that will remain part of the redevelopment, open, as well as to coincide with the lease-up of the new premises. Construction on the first phase is set to begin this fall.

“Our vision for the redevelopment of Deerfoot Mall is to create a dynamic new urban centre,” said Darren Kwiatkowski, executive vice-president of Shape Properties. “Some of the ingredients will include high quality architecture, diverse mix of shops and restaurants, lush landscaping, pedestrian friendly streets, and a blend of outdoor and indoor environments strategically positioned to activate the public spaces.

“When complete, we expect the property will become one of the region’s ultimate shopping and dining experience, an urban social heart and the perfect setting for the seamless integration of new office premises.”
    People always say the most important thing about business is location location location, Deerfoot mall is in a pretty good location. If done right I can see this taking a lot of business from the big new mall down the street.

I envision something like the deerfoot meadows of the north.

Will it succeed?

My Ride
    3.5L 7th Gen Accord

Why wouldn't you just drive 5 minutes further and go to Cross Iron??

Bad idea, I hate driving around in deer foot meadows. Traffic nightmare, why on earth would anyone want to build another mess like that?

My Ride
    Grimace

Originally posted by triplep
    Why wouldn't you just drive 5 minutes further and go to Cross Iron??

I don't like going to deerfoot mall, makes my nose all stuffy like going to winners

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Default Re: Deerfoot mall redevelopment

Originally posted by supe
    People always say the most important thing about business is location location location, Deerfoot mall is in a pretty good location.

Will it succeed?
    The only thing that's been keeping it standing the past few years is Wal-mart.

The location is undefinitely attractive and with the right buy-in, they can take off moreso than x-iron because it's inner city. As long as they provide the parking space because nobody in Calgary transits, nor is that location very transit-able (vs chinook). Transit is probably the only reason why Chinook is seen as better location-wise than Market.
    Last edited by jwslam; 09-13-2013 at 01:11 PM.

My Ride
    Born in Stuttgart

"The owner says Deerfoot Mall, on 32 hectares of land, serves a trade area of just over one million people within a 20-minute drive of northeast Calgary and the average household income within that 20-minute drive is $127,659, which is 42 per cent above the national average."

$127,659 in the north east?

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by austic
    "The owner says Deerfoot Mall, on 32 hectares of land, serves a trade area of just over one million people within a 20-minute drive of northeast Calgary and the average household income within that 20-minute drive is $127,659, which is 42 per cent above the national average."

That's household income. It's pretty low considering the average NE house contains 3 uncles, 2 aunts, 5 cousins, etc. etc.

Traffic there is really bad during rushhour as it is because of everyone going Mcknight->11th St.-> Deerfoot, can't wait for this gongshow to happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    FB6

Originally posted by FixedGear
    Bad idea, I hate driving around in deer foot meadows. Traffic nightmare, why on earth would anyone want to build another mess like that?
    Deerfoot mall is no where near Deerfoot Meadows...

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by realazy

Deerfoot mall is no where near Deerfoot Meadows...
    What he's saying is that they plan on turning Deerfoot Mall, into a traffic nightmare just like Deerfoot Meadows.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

More info with a map :

LINK

My Ride
    Tesla Model 3 AWD

So far pretty negative feedback. For me I'm looking forward to having more places to shop thats closer to home. I also don't think deerfoot meadows is tough to navigate at all, I'm not quite sure what that is about, examples? Maybe the times I go are just not during the peak shopping times or during rush hour.

I think provided that they lure in some nicer shops and restaurants they should be able to attract many people especially stealing business from cross irons.

The only downside I see is the added traffic to deerfoot which is already at max capacity during rush hour.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by austic

20 min drive from that place is basically most of the North.

So far pretty negative feedback. For me I'm looking forward to having more places to shop thats closer to home. I also don't think deerfoot meadows is tough to navigate at all, I'm not quite sure what that is about, examples? Maybe the times I go are just not during the peak shopping times or during rush hour.

I think provided that they lure in some nicer shops and restaurants they should be able to attract many people especially stealing business from cross irons.

The only downside I see is the added traffic to deerfoot which is already at max capacity during rush hour.
    Deerfoot Meadows itself isn't tough to navigate, it's just that the lots are small for the mass amounts of traffic there. Sometimes you will sit for 5 minutes+ trying to make a left turn out of the Ikea parking lot, or from the area by sportchek, onto the main road that leads out that will get you to Deerfoot heading north.

Deerfoot Meadows traffic isn't that bad? Could use more parking space though IMO.

My Ride
    Grimace

I don't see that happening in the area it is in. If their anchor stores are walmart, hockey experts, sears and winners, that is pretty bad

^ Sears is gone

Went to Deerfoot mall a couple months ago and it was pretty much a fucking ghost town lol. How do stores even manage to stay open there?

My Ride
    acura TYPE A

its a great location

yes there is that north east stigma, but i dont mind it - less sally soccer moms in the parking lot - you are in and out in 5 minutes to get the stuff you need and pay less .

My Ride
    Silverado, G37x

Never been there, still not sure where it is exactly

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Default Re: Re: Deerfoot mall redevelopment

Originally posted by jwslam

The only thing that's been keeping it standing the past few years is Wal-mart.
    When Wal-mart moved to a stand alone location, the mall died over night. Sears leaving was the last nail in the cofin.

This is a really bad idea and a waste of money.

Cross iron has way better accesibility. Coming from the West, I will turn north and go there over heading south and dealing with some of the worst areas on Deerfoot. I bet anyone else near the ring road will say the same.

Crossiron also has Costco and lowes to draw people. The whole open mall concept is a fail for 6 months of the year. When it is cold, I only go to Market or Chinook. Underground parking FTW.

Plus, those are the only two malls with Apple stores.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast