Quantcast
I GOT THE LUMIA 1020! Some pics! - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 9 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: I GOT THE LUMIA 1020! Some pics!

My Ride
    Tiburon, Hachiroku, AE92 GT-S, Sonata

Default I GOT THE LUMIA 1020! Some pics!

So huge thanks to my awesome wife, who surprised me with a Lumia 1020 last week! And an extra HUGE thanks to clem24, who she secretly contacted to pick one up for me while he was on a trip down in the states. It was a total surprise and shock!

Fortunately, I was leaving to shoot a wedding in the mountains the next day in Nordegg, Alberta. So of course I took the 1020 with me. I didn't have much time to get some serious shots, but I did take a few snapshots while I was scoping photo locations for the wedding. I cannot WAIT to go out on a serious photo safari with this phone! Even just farting around, I got some stuff I'm very happy with.

This phone is amazing. That's all I can say. And what makes it more awesome is the Battery GRIP!! At first I considered it more of a toy than anything of real utility, but my mind is completely changed. Clem sweet talked the guys at the Microsoft store in Seattle to include the battery grip for free with the 1020. And after using it, I would MOST DEFINITELY recommend any photography enthusiast to get it in addition to the phone itself. It feels about a thousand times nicer to hold, like a REAL camera. The shutter button is large, like a real camera. The two stage shutter release feels great, like a real camera. And the extra battery power is awesome too, so you can be out shooting for much longer than without. So definitely get the grip if you get this phone.

I'm very happy using the 5MP files from the camera. I know it takes 41mp photos, but the whole purpose of 41mp is to get the nicest 5MP files possible. And the 5MP are beautifully detailed and crisp; I am confident I can get gorgeous 11x17 prints from the 5MP files as they are richly detailed. They would definitely look MUCH MUCH better than an 11x17 print from my 8.7MP Lumia 920, which is no slouch itself either! So don't underestimate the power of the 5MP files coming out of this cam.

One thing I noticed is that the corners are very soft. This is no big deal to me (My 10-22 and 50L suffer from the same thing) but to pixel peeper and measurebators, I'm sure it will be a point of much complaint. But really, I could care less!

The Pro camera app is wonderful for changing settings on the fly. It's the nicest camera interface I've used on a phone. But there definitely is more of a delay from shot to shot, which isn't surprising considering how much resolution there is. But if you really want faster shooting, then fire up Nokia Smart Shoot which rapid fires a few pics and then lets you combine the results from all photos to make one awesome one. It's pretty slick.

Anyhow, onto the pictures!

1. This is the gorge that Crescent Falls drops into

2. Clouds of course. I shot this to test how it does at very high exposure levels. Many phones just cannot handle this due to shutter speed limitations. No problem with the Lumia 1020. The shutter speed on this shot was 1/15000! I have no idea what it's upper limit it.

4. And the beautiful falls

5. I took this shot as I knew it was a very difficult scenario for ANY camera: a backlit landscape with highly reflective water. Overall, I'm quite impressed with the dynamic range it gave me. The highlights in the water show lots of definition and detail in the spashes and turbulence, but at the same time I can still see the trees behind the river.

6. Lots of detail in the tubulence. At first, as I looked at the water upstream, I thought it was quite soft, but then I realized... WTF it is soft because it is outside of the DOF! It was something I just never really thought about when looking at smartphone or compact camera images before! You actually have to be aware of the DOF!

7. Thought I'd try a slower shutter speed. 1/3 was all I could manage without overexposing the image. The one thing the 1020 lacks that the 808 (and N8) had was a built-in automatic ND filter. I really wish it had that.

8. The colour of this lake was too good to pass up, so I pulled over on the highway for a couple snaps.

10. And one thing I forgot to try was the ZOOM feature! So I zoomed in on this plant and I was wowed with the clear DOF background separation. Hallelujah for large sensors!

11. Took this to check out it's flare performance. Looks like it produces a red flare, but the rest of the photo is well detailed at least.

12. Tried it out at night. Here the moon is rising over the mountain horizon. The camera app only allows a shutter speed of 4 seconds at the longest, so I had to crank up to ISO3200. I also put the battery grip on and put it on a tripod. Can't do that with your average smartphone! Detail is pretty low, but again, good luck even getting anything like this on any other smartphone! Would have never attempted it with any other phone.

13. And on the way home, ran into some gorgeous fall colours. It did a totally beautiful job of capturing the essence of the scene.

I'm loving this phone! I am going to try to do an actual portrait shoot with it one day. I'll post my random 1020 pics into this thread. If any of you get one, this can be the place we drop our photos into!

Still learning more and more about it though. But very happy thusfar.

I almost laugh when I think about how clem got this phone + battery grip for just a few more dollars than the cheapest 16gb iPhone 5c. Seriously?

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

Awesome! I'm still waiting on Telus to put some info on their page.

Any AT&T software/hardware restrictions that are bothering you?

My Ride
    has a stick axle

I can't believe those pictures were taken with a cell phone. Incredible, thanks for sharing.

My Ride
    W204

Haha lost in translation somewhere.. I didn't actually sweet talk anyone to get the grip - it was a promo they were having that I didn't even know about. I actually didn't think you'd like it but given that it had it's own battery, I can see lots of practical uses (like keeping it in the car in case your phone battery dies during the day). And sorry they didn't have the matching grip LOL. I did get them to price match AT&T though.. It was odd since AT&T dropped the price from $659 to $609 pretty much while I was there (it was $659 as I checked it before I left).

Still scratching my head as to why AT&T refuses to sell the phone to anyone (i.e. existing AT&T customer requirement).

Nice pics though! Now I am wondering why I spent quite a bit more than that to get a camera that doesn't even autofocus hahaha. Well I guess it has sharp(er) corners.

Oh and next time enable 41MP.. I just want to pixel peep it FWIW.
    Last edited by clem24; 09-17-2013 at 11:37 AM.
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Damn those are so impressive for a camera phone. Just wow
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    S212 E63s / MK7.5 .:R

Originally posted by msommers
    +1 the quality of those shots are amazing

Bro! What Instagram filter did you use on those!!

Jk Jk, that's insanely impressive quality from a cellphone

My Ride
    Exploded.

Originally posted by msommers
    You'd be surprised what those Lumia's can do. I barely used my camera during Japan since the 920 was doing the job quite well!

I regret going to this page because I want one now...

My Ride

Originally posted by blitz
    Awesome! I'm still waiting on Telus to put some info on their page.

Any AT&T software/hardware restrictions that are bothering you?
    So far, it just looks like AT&T have blocked the wifi sharing capability. They want to be able to charge you extra to subscribe to wifi sharing, so it's off by default, and only they can activate it. Losers! But whatever, I don't really use it anyhow. Also, it appears that they've hardcoded some of their network settings into the phone. As a result, I couldn't get any 3g/4g/LTE data coming through on Koodo. Nokia has their own app called "Nokia Access Point" which overrides the hardcoded stuff. Access Point has stored network profiles for pretty much every mobile network in the world. So you just start the app, choose your carrier, and it will load those settings into your phone whenever it detects your SIM in the phone. Once you set it, it will automatically load different settings for different SIM cards, so it makes swapping SIM cards a breeze. The limitation of this, is you cannot run the Windows Phone Restore from Backup procedure because this is done before you get the chance to install Access Point. It is no big deal if you are setting up a windows phone for the first time. But if you are already in the ecosystem and want to transfer all your apps and settings to your new AT&T 1020, you cannot. Unless you are on an AT&T network.

Whatever. It was a good opportunity to clean up my phone. I had so many apps and games on there that I never played anyhow, it was nice to get rid of it all.

Originally posted by clem24
    Haha lost in translation somewhere.. I didn't actually sweet talk anyone to get the grip - it was a promo they were having that I didn't even know about. I actually didn't think you'd like it but given that it had it's own battery, I can see lots of practical uses (like keeping it in the car in case your phone battery dies during the day). And sorry they didn't have the matching grip LOL. I did get them to price match AT&T though.. It was odd since AT&T dropped the price from $659 to $609 pretty much while I was there (it was $659 as I checked it before I left).

Still scratching my head as to why AT&T refuses to sell the phone to anyone (i.e. existing AT&T customer requirement).

Nice pics though! Now I am wondering why I spent quite a bit more than that to get a camera that doesn't even autofocus hahaha. Well I guess it has sharp(er) corners.

Oh and next time enable 41MP.. I just want to pixel peep it FWIW.
    Well, in any case, thanks a LOT for picking one up for me. For all those who don't know, Clem went to two AT&T stores and were rejected twice by them. They wouldn't allow him to buy the phone! The Microsoft store had no problems selling it to him though. So keep that in mind if any of you are planning to pick one up down there!

Originally posted by vengie
    Bro! What Instagram filter did you use on those!!

Jk Jk, that's insanely impressive quality from a cellphone
    Hahaha, I feel like putting it through filters would be sacrilege! But if I am uploading to Instagram, well, I'd probably filter it just so I can fit in LOL!

Originally posted by flipstah

You'd be surprised what those Lumia's can do. I barely used my camera during Japan since the 920 was doing the job quite well!

I regret going to this page because I want one now...
    Truthfully, my 920 is pretty fricken awesome. Really great. Which is why I decided I could live without the 1020, because really, the 920 is already really really good. But hey, I'll take it as a surprise gift! The surprising part is how much lighter it is than the 920.

My Ride
    rally pig

nice pics!
    how does the 1020 with grip look like compared to your 40d?
    how long does a full charge last you?
    those are all jpeg or can the 1020 output raw?

the fact that you can attach it to a tripod, do 4s long exposure shots is frigging sweet!

my iphone 4 is due for a replacemnt, im going to try and see if i can buy one in vegas in october

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

This cell phone camera thread is seriously lacking some duck face selfies.

My Ride
    rally pig

^or nude selfies but no guys please

My Ride

Originally posted by taemo
    nice pics!
    how does the 1020 with grip look like compared to your 40d?
    how long does a full charge last you?
    those are all jpeg or can the 1020 output raw?

the fact that you can attach it to a tripod, do 4s long exposure shots is frigging sweet!

my iphone 4 is due for a replacemnt, im going to try and see if i can buy one in vegas in october
    Compared to 40D? Well, it's a heck of a lot smaller! Surprisingly, the phone+grip fit easily into the pocket of my cargo shorts. Can't do that with a 40D!

It only outputs jpeg files, and I have found pushing the exposure a couple stops will bring out some artifacts. But I guess that's to be expected from a jpeg.

When you get yours, be sure to post up your pictures in this thread!

Originally posted by D'z Nutz
    This cell phone camera thread is seriously lacking some duck face selfies.
    Originally posted by taemo
    ^or nude selfies but no guys please
    I'll do a nude duck faced selfie... hahaha. Nah, kidding, you don't want to see my ugly mug.

My Ride

Decided to try some macro with it. Scotch taped a cheap-ass Tiffen closeup filter and went looking for bugs. The filter smashed a lot of detail, and then I loaded them into Lightroom and as I pushed the exposure, I could see some artifacting showing up around edges. I exposed for the highlights so I wouldn't lose detail, hence the need to push the exposure. Then I cropped the picture even more, so it's definitely not the cleanest, but still amazing considering this is a phone!

I have tried macro on previous phones but it never worked well due to the fact that the equivlent focal length of the lens was always around 28mm or wider, which sucks for macro! But with the zoom feature of the Lumia 1020, I can get around a 75mm equivalent field of view, which is a decent length for macro work! So I figured, I'd give it a shot!

14. I found this guy and realized one of his legs fell off! It was hobbling around like it was injured. Thought I'd try a head-on photo, which was really hard because it kept moving closer to the lens and going out of focus! (As a reference, this guy is probably a little shorter than an inch)

15. It seemed to be stumbling, so I tried to help it up onto a leaf it was climing, and another leg fell off! WTF?? It must be dying or something (or on it's last legs... LOL!). Oh well, it made it easier to take pictures of him at this angle as he wasn't moving fast.

One of the challenges of macro shooting with a phone is inability to stop down the lens for more Depth of Field. So you are stuck shooting with a super thin area of focus which limits your capabilities. But man, I sure am not used to seeing such creamy bokeh from a phone.

But like I said, I am NOT trying to replace a DSLR/Mirrorless/PnS, so I am not gonna make comparison statement with my dedicated macro rig. I'm just having some fun with the Lumia 1020, that is with me ALL THE TIME wherever I go. It's just opening doors for me to try stuff I never could before. It's just really neat to know that I actually CAN have some fun with this setup. I could easily leave this tiny Tiffen filter in the car to grab whenever I see something tiny and cool.

My Ride
    08 Impreza

Wow, those look amazing for a camera phone.

My Ride
    TSX

Damnn those are indeed some impressive photos for a cell phone camera. Can you perhaps take some photos in more low light conditions and show us how they turn out?

This thread is missing some filters. Can you please add some instagram filters to the pictures?
    ---

My Ride
    Depends on the day

And some dinner photos for Kenny too

My Ride

Continuing the macro spree...

16. Bronze Leaf Disease =( Poor Swedish Aspen. Hope it survives.

17. Closeup of a Dandelion

18. Another one

19. I'm no entomologist, I have no idea what kind of bug this is, but it was about 6mm long, so pretty tiny.

20. But it changed colour drastically...

21. ...depending on what direction the light was hitting it.

22. The only spider I could find was this little guy. Max length from leg tip to tip, it was about 15mm. I wish I could find a huge orb spider or something.

23. And who doesn't like ladybugs?

24. This one was just chillin' taking a walk on a Nanking Cherry leaf.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Wow.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 ... LastLast