Quantcast
WINTER tires and wheels - discuss? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 11 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: WINTER tires and wheels - discuss?

Tuner1 is offline Tunerworks Guru (E36S50B32)
    My Ride
    ///MPower, 4x4, Bianchi & Trek

Lightbulb WINTER tires and wheels - discuss?

Which products are going to be hot this winter? What are people interested in?

As the weather turns cooler and our winter inventory begins to roll in we are wondering...

These are some newer products that caught our attention.

-Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 and R2 SUV. Maybe the new top dog for severe snow and ice conditions?

http://www.nokiantires.com/tyre?id=1...kkapeliitta+R2

-Bridgestone Blizzak LM-32. Only four years after the LM-60 was introduced Bridgestone has a new top-of-the-range hi-po winter tire. Looks like a winner!

http://auto.bridgestone.co.uk/passen...tc-tcs-rating/

-Dunlop Winter MAXX. A new max traction winter tire for normal passenger vehicles at a reasonable price. I bet we'll see lots of these on the roads this winter.

http://www.dunloptires.com/en-US/tir...26602970000000

What have Beyonders seen that is new and interesting?

TUNERWORKS PERFORMANCE - WHEELS & TIRES

[email protected]

BFG / BRIDGESTONE / CONTINENTAL / COOPER / DUNLOP / FALKEN / GENERAL / GISLAVED / GOODYEAR / HANKOOK / KUMHO / MICHELIN / NITTO / NOKIAN / PIRELLI / TOYO / VREDESTEIN / YOKOHAMA

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

My parents have been running Pirelli Sottozero winter tires on their 135i and Z4M the past 3 or 4 years and have found them to be great high performance winter tires.

I wish Hankook hadn't discontinued the Icebear W300, that was my personal favorite tire that I ran on my Legacy GT and also still have a set on our XV Crosstrek.

for Bridgestone Blizzak LM-25s, I have had these on my 135i for two winters and they have worn all unevenly, they are noisy, they are soft and squidgy in terms of handling in the dry, and they don't seem very impressive in terms of grip on packed snow and ice.

This year I am going for a super cheap set of Federal WS-2s if I keep my BMW, I am expecting them to be pretty soft and squidgy like the LM-25s but for 1/2 the price I can't complain.

Not new, but I'm guessing the Michelin Xice Xi3's still rank near the top.

I haven't tried them all obviously, but they are undoubtedly the best winters I've ever driven on. Stopping on ice/snow is ridiculously good, I rarely even feel my ABS kick in. Never felt so comfortable driving in the winter. They also have a huge wear rating, and don't lose performance as fast as they begin to wear down compared to others (I believe Blizzaks need to be replaced at 50% wear).
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 09-18-2013 at 10:49 AM.

My Ride

Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo
    My parents have been running Pirelli Sottozero winter tires on their 135i and Z4M the past 3 or 4 years and have found them to be great high performance winter tires.

I wish Hankook hadn't discontinued the Icebear W300, that was my personal favorite tire that I ran on my Legacy GT and also still have a set on our XV Crosstrek.

for Bridgestone Blizzak LM-25s, I have had these on my 135i for two winters and they have worn all unevenly, they are noisy, they are soft and squidgy in terms of handling in the dry, and they don't seem very impressive in terms of grip on packed snow and ice.

This year I am going for a super cheap set of Federal WS-2s if I keep my BMW, I am expecting them to be pretty soft and squidgy like the LM-25s but for 1/2 the price I can't complain.
    Nice feedback!

I am a big fan of the Pirelli Sottozero Serie II for high-performance, low-profile applications but I think there are tires that offer superior ice & snow grip in the higher profile (50+ series) sizes. Still one of our top sellers.

Agreed that the old Blizzak LM-25 leaves a lot to be desired but I have high hopes for the LM-32, especially considering how good the LM-60 and WS70 are.

i only run studded hakkapeliitta's.. any cars

My Ride
    Vettel's #1

Winter tires are for people who can't drive and should stay home when it snows.

Aaaaaand goooooo.......

Vettel's #1

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Originally posted by CapnCrunch
    Winter tires are for people who can't drive and should stay home when it snows.

Aaaaaand goooooo.......

Also for those of us that drive low cars with RWD, open diffs and too much power.

My car would be undriveable without winter tires in snow/ice.

I've had both the Blizzak LM's and Michelin Alpin on mine.

The Michelin destroy the blizz for winter traction.

Hoping I can get another season out of my current ones before I have to search for new. Don't like spend almost 500 a tire

My Ride

Originally posted by colinxx235

Hoping I can get another season out of my current ones before I have to search for new. Don't like spend almost 500 a tire
    Ouch! What sizes costs $500/tire

My Ride

Originally posted by r3ccOs
    i only run studded hakkapeliitta's.. any cars
    Nice choice - totally and utterly unbeatable and unstoppable in nasty weather...but for all the other vehicles that Nokian doesn't offer studded winters for we need to explore other options

I imagine a W212 E63 AMG with studded winters would be quite a handful on dry roads

Kinda' like this... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPh90yNX-mY

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-21-2019 at 02:10 PM.

Originally posted by Tuner1

Ouch! What sizes costs $500/tire

245/40/18 IIRC. Winter set for my S4. That or I was getting gouged on a quote

Because I took a nail in the rear tire last year and actually bought 2 blizzaks of the exact same depth from Jay @ tuner and put those on the rears quickly. Cheap solution while unemployed.

But I will say those pilot alpins are great in Calgary. But I have yet to ever try or run a studded tire. Could be fun in the S4...

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

I need some decent size winters for my truck... i got Toyo Open Country AT II's but I'm a bit skeptical of highway driving to the ski hills with them

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-21-2019 at 02:10 PM.

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
    ^^ I don’t know how the Toyo AT’s are, but I assume they are better for ice than the MT’s.

Generally speaking though, once I get out onto the highways I have zero problems with sliding and skidding (ok… I will admit that during blizzards it gets tail happy, but within reason). Where they fall down miserably is when I am coming to a stop at intersections… heavy truck + MT’s + idiots flooring it and creating ice = total out of control sliding. The good news of course is this is typically on side roads so I can usually just aim it at the curb and regain traction there, and being 75 series tires the curbs are more like speed bumps.

I've heard nothing but good reviews... scratch that... the best reviews for these tires.

I had Michelin snow tires on my CRV and they were unbelievably good. People are saying the Xi3 is a whole other level, so I'd imagine you can drive upside down in icy caves with them.

They are siped and toyo gives them a 4/5 for winter handling haha.. so i will give them a try and if they are brutal buy some new ones.

My Ride
    S212 E63s / MK7.5 .:R

Originally posted by colinxx235

245/40/18 IIRC. Winter set for my S4. That or I was getting gouged on a quote
    You totally got ripped off if you paid $500 per tire

I just did a search on 1010tires.com and Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 cost $334.99 and Pilot Alpin PA3 cost $363.99. Free shipping as well.

Originally posted by Sugarphreak

I've heard nothing but good reviews... scratch that... the best reviews for these tires.

I had Michelin snow tires on my CRV and they were unbelievably good. People are saying the Xi3 is a whole other level, so I'd imagine you can drive upside down in icy caves with them.
    Yeah they are amazing. I was debating studded tires, and after I got these I was so glad I didn't. I've honestly laughed to myself a few times after stopping on snow/ice because it felt like I was basically on pavement while people beside me were sliding all over the place. ABS almost never kicks in. Panic stops are extremely good as well. Totally worth it, I'll never buy another winter tire.

Also, they only lose a tiny bit of effectiveness when at 50% wear, where most other winter tires (like Blizzaks) are recommended to be fully replaced at 50% wear. They cost a small premium but will probably last twice as long as many other winter tires.

My Ride

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    Not new, but I'm guessing the Michelin Xice Xi3's still rank near the top.

For sure! The Michelin Xi3 is always one of our first go-to tires for vehicles that needs help in the winter (think RWD) or for people that value ice and snow traction over sporty dry road manners. There are a lot of 3 Series BMWs and Mercedes-Benz C Class cars ripping around on Xi3s.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-21-2019 at 02:09 PM.

My Ride

Originally posted by Kg810

You totally got ripped off if you paid $500 per tire

I just did a search on 1010tires.com and Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 cost $334.99 and Pilot Alpin PA3 cost $363.99. Free shipping as well.
    ...or $340ea for the PA4 right here in Calgary @ Tunerworks with local service and warranty

Page 1 of 11 1 2 ... LastLast