Thread: BlackBerry sells for $4.7B

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Could have been over 60% if I wasn’t a paper hand bitch

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Man, if I had any kind of free cash flow at all, I would be snapping up shares like crazy, and just forget about them.

of course this is money I don't care about, but I have no doubts in my mind that they will turn this back around. Don't expect $100+ share prices, but I can easily seeing them climg back up to $20 a share in the fairly near term (2-3 years)
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

For some fucked up reason reading about and trying to educate myself about stocks doesn't make my blood boil nearly as much as trying to understand real estate, equity, and mortgages. This is kinda what I've been hoping for- a (kinda) reputable company plummeting like this, bound to go back up. I should buy a couple hundred shares. A quick Google search led me to believe that shares are currently $6.24 each? If that's the case next step is figuring out how to buy 150 right f'n now.

I'm still liking the playbook.

Don't care what the Apple pundits say, its still a solid internet surfing platform. If thats what you majorially use (no apps) then its great.
    Cocoa $10,000 per ton.

Last edited by kaput; 03-12-2019 at 01:53 AM.

How the hell do you buy stocks?

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-22-2019 at 05:31 PM.

Questtrade, so you just open an account, transfer money over and buy stocks?

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-22-2019 at 05:30 PM.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Originally posted by heavyfuel
    Questtrade, so you just open an account, transfer money over and buy stocks?
    open a tfsa trading account, since it sounds like you will be under the $25k tfsa limit

well... pros: no tax on gains cons: no write off for loses

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-22-2019 at 05:30 PM.

Originally posted by ercchry

open a tfsa trading account, since it sounds like you will be under the $25k tfsa limit

well... pros: no tax on gains cons: no write off for loses
    More significant con: losses within the account permanently reduce your room.

So get a TFSA trading account from my bank or Questtrade? Not too concerned about gains/losses I'm only gonna gamble a G note to start, till I understand a bit more

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

quest trade, the ones at the bank kind of suck if you want to do anything with them

http://www.questrade.com/account/acc...FY1FMgodzjUAEQ

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Originally posted by BrknFngrs

More significant con: losses within the account permanently reduce your room.
    kind of...

If your investments decline in value, you can add more money to the account, true or false?
    False. You can only put in an amount up to your accumulated contribution room, regardless of how your investments perform. So if your stocks get clobbered, you’ll have to wait until next year to top up the account if you have no unused contribution room left.

The Canada Revenue Agency will give you an annual statement showing how much you can contribute to your TFSA, true or false?
    True. Your notice of assessment shows know how much TFSA contribution room you have at the beginning of the next tax year. This means that your 2010 Notice of Assessment will show how much you can contribute as of January 1, 2011.
    http://www.moneysense.ca/invest/tfsa-truth-rumours

so if you see massive gains, your tsfa will grow... if AFTER you see those gains, you lose a good chunk you cant top up to that level... but you can still fill it up to your maximum contribution about... if that makes sense?

Originally posted by ercchry

kind of...

http://www.moneysense.ca/invest/tfsa-truth-rumours

so if you see massive gains, your tsfa will grow... if AFTER you see those gains, you lose a good chunk you cant top up to that level... but you can still fill it up to your maximum contribution about... if that makes sense?
    This is essentially what I was getting at; crystallized losses are essentially permanent room reductions (but yes, other gains have the potential to increase and offset these room reductions).

If you have $5k in room; you contribute $5k and invest it in X.

If X's value goes to $10k and you withdraw that $10k you've essentially "created" an additional $5k in room that you can recontribute to your TFSA in future years.

If X's value goes to $0, you've used $5k of room on the contribution in and the amount you can withdraw from that contribution is $0; effectively permanently removing that whole $5k in room.

I just think it's important to recognize that the potential downside is worse than just not having your losses be useable.

Originally posted by BrknFngrs

This is essentially what I was getting at; crystallized losses are essentially permanent room reductions (but yes, other gains have the potential to increase and offset these room reductions).

If you have $5k in room; you contribute $5k and invest it in X.

If X's value goes to $10k and you withdraw that $10k you've essentially "created" an additional $5k in room that you can recontribute to your TFSA in future years.

If X's value goes to $0, you've used $5k of room on the contribution in and the amount you can withdraw from that contribution is $0; effectively permanently removing that whole $5k in room.

I just think it's important to recognize that the potential downside is worse than just not having your losses be useable.
    i dont think it works that way, while you wouldnt be able to add money in the same calendar year you should be able to add up to your maximum contribution room of 5k+ per year.

say you have 25 k invested right now and it goes to 0. in 2014 you could theoretically deposit 25 k plus whatevre the new contribution amount is.

however if you had previously made gains 25 into 50 k then 50 k to 0 you still would only be able to contribute your total 5k per year in the next calendar year.

thats how i read it anyways.
    Last edited by bmeier; 12-20-2013 at 10:54 AM.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

depends how you look at it i guess? if you plan to use the account only for trading and you lose your space.... well, then i guess you just have to open a regular account! haha.... but after the year is out you can still top it up to what you could originally... so $26k is it? $31500 in jan?

^^ Ok most of that is still Russian, but opening a Questrade TFSA was painless. Just dropped $500 in there, account should be confirmed by Tuesday and I'm gonna take baby steps and figure this out as I go.

When I started my business 9 years ago, I had less than $500 and no clue whatsoever what I was doing and I'm not all that un-successful I think. I'm really not all that dumb, just gotta focus and learn.

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
    12% now

Can somebody please explain to me what the fuck is going on

Pretty much, plus they only charge 4$ a trade and settle instantly, TD Waterhouse charges 24.99 a trade, plus it takes them an entire day to settle
    Looks like Reuters is chalking the rise up to the handset deal for some international markets. "The deal means that BlackBerry will no longer pay upfront for components for devices produced by Foxconn on its behalf."

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...9BJ0KI20131220

I'm not sure how I feel about investing in BB - there are so many factors at play - buyouts as a whole, selling it off piece by piece, trying to restructure - it really could go any possible way, but my best guess would be down. About 8 months ago my brother talked me out of shorting $10,000 work of Blackberry

He'll be getting a box of Pot of Gold chocolates from the gas station this year.
    Last edited by Env-Consultant; 12-20-2013 at 11:17 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast