Quantcast
Buying brand new car 17-25k Opinions? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Buying brand new car 17-25k Opinions?

My Ride
    '08 AW E92 335i

Default Buying brand new car 17-25k Opinions?

never bought a brand new car and have a few questions if somebody can help me out. My girlfriend just recently sold her mazda 3 and we are looking to buy something brand new. The reason being is we would like to get 0% financing over 60+ month finance. Being a 2013 and not going for a 2014 isn't a big deal for us so looking to negotiate a discount on remaining models.

Anyone have suggestions on a new car at this price range? We are considering a new corolla or civic right now. Looking for a sedan with plenty of room, fold down seats, a few good options thrown in.

Sounds like a stupid question but how do you negotiate a new car. Obviously there is an MSRP sticker price but how much less should I expect to pay?

Any tips and tricks?

My Ride
    2011 Ralliart SB

I suck ass at negotiating, so can't help you there.

But you could look at the 2013 Mitsubishi lancer, it's got AWD available and should be under 25k. It's also 84 months at 0% if you want to go that route.

My Ride
    Unit 91 come in 91

Corolla or matrix?

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

2013 Cruze, GM offers huge incentives...

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

Default Re: Buying brand new car 17-25k Opinions?

Originally posted by funkedelic2
    never bought a brand new car and have a few questions if somebody can help me out. My girlfriend just recently sold her mazda 3 and we are looking to buy something brand new. The reason being is we would like to get 0% financing over 60+ month finance. Being a 2013 and not going for a 2014 isn't a big deal for us so looking to negotiate a discount on remaining models.

Anyone have suggestions on a new car at this price range? We are considering a new corolla or civic right now. Looking for a sedan with plenty of room, fold down seats, a few good options thrown in.

Sounds like a stupid question but how do you negotiate a new car. Obviously there is an MSRP sticker price but how much less should I expect to pay?

Any tips and tricks?
    What year was the Mazda3? 2013 Mazda 3s have 0% for 84 months right now and some other incentives due to 2014s coming in soon that is a new model all together.

2013 Civics lease really well, you can walk out with a 250/month all in payment with nothing down.

2013 Corolla, same story as 2013 Mazda3

As far as negotiating, cars in the 17-25k range typically have 1000-2000 at most in markup. Look for factory type incentives that are added on top of any discount you can get from the dealer. There are also loyalty incentives for brands that you already own or have owned in the last 6 months.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/374842/fs...irage-5-speed/

Can't go wrong with a Beyond forum sponsor.

My Ride
    2011 Mustang GT

Default Re: Re: Buying brand new car 17-25k Opinions?

Originally posted by Aleks

What year was the Mazda3? 2013 Mazda 3s have 0% for 84 months right now and some other incentives due to 2014s coming in soon that is a new model all together.

2013 Civics lease really well, you can walk out with a 250/month all in payment with nothing down.

2013 Corolla, same story as 2013 Mazda3

As far as negotiating, cars in the 17-25k range typically have 1000-2000 at most in markup. Look for factory type incentives that are added on top of any discount you can get from the dealer. There are also loyalty incentives for brands that you already own or have owned in the last 6 months.
    My top picks would be Mazda 3 or Honda Civic as mentioned here. Corolla is a safe choice, but is very.... bland.

Might even want to check out the Korean options aswell seeing they are offering tremendous value these days.

If you buy a Dodge Dart, you will get the ban-stick.
    Beyond's Most Wanted

My Ride
    335i

I hear the KIA optra hybrid is on sale for 23k
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Originally posted by Weapon_R
    If it is, that would be a no brainer.

that is sick!

*edit* got a bit ahead of myself there. is it the kia OPTIMA or the chevy optra?
    Last edited by spikerS; 09-27-2013 at 09:42 AM.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Batteries not included?
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    335i

Saw it on RFD
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Saw it on RFD
    Saw the thread, no links to the advertisement, nor any proof of 6 grand off. It's also in BC, so probably a cash only, first time buyer, recent grad program, BC energy efficient rebate (residents only), and Kia's current $1g off promotion.

Originally posted by funkedelic2
    Obviously there is an MSRP sticker price but how much less should I expect to pay?

Not much less on that segment of car. Not a lot of wiggle room when looking at $20g. Might be able to argue $500 off.

If she isn't a car person, just get a Civic. My wife loves our LX Coupe, lease is under $250/month (as previously mentioned), and it comes decently equiped. Power everything, blue-tooth, A/C etc.
    Last edited by Tik-Tok; 09-27-2013 at 09:56 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Car negotiating is fairly simple if you do your research and go in with confidence.

1. Find the car cost/invoice pricing for the trim and model that you want online. Be aware that some sites show invoice pricing for US only but you can normally find a car forum with this information.

2. Estimate how much dealer makes from the deal. If car MSRP is $150, invoice is $100, and you get it for $120, it doesn't mean that the dealer made $20. Dealerships also get vendor funding for cars that they sell that add to overall profit amongst other things. Having said that, new cars generally have way lower margin, but they can make money back through interest if you're financing your car as well.

3. Calculate freight and other mandatory fees. Add it to your total.

4. Look at any incentives available for buying the car (but do not disclose that you know this to the salesman yet. Bring it up once you have a committed price.

5. When you have the final OTD amount for what you want to pay, take it in and negotiate using that number. Dealers want to make as much money as possible, you want to pay as little as possible. Dealers have a right to profit so be a reasonable adult and work it out.

I don't know what counts as a good new car sale for a dealership, but based on what I read online, you add 600-800 on top of the invoice pricing but I'm sure it is different for every car as well depending on trim rarity and popularity.
    Last edited by rx7boi; 09-27-2013 at 10:03 AM.

Honestly just get the Civic. I went through this exact same process 2 years ago. Yes, there are more fun cars, but not many that will give you the same peace of mind and resale value. I only drive about 3000km/yr now that I moved downtown, and I got a Civic because I wanted a car that would cost me essentially nothing to own, be 100% reliable, and not a giant POS. The Civic is exactly those things, and does it's job perfectly.

Do I miss having AWD and lots of torque? Of course, but I also love my $40, 600km fill ups, sub-$100 insurance costs, minimal loss on investment, and guaranteed reliability in the mean time. Costs are so low I don't even think of my vehicle when I think of my expenses. It costs me almost nothing.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 09-27-2013 at 10:26 AM.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

it really depends on what you want, in that range you are either at fully loaded compacts, or more base mid-sized sedans, or even CUVs...

you could get everything listed here or:

-ford:
    -escape
    -fiesta
    -focus
    -fusion
    -f150

-kia:
    -optima
    -forte

-vw:
    -jetta
    -golf
    -passat

soooo many cars

My Ride
    '08 AW E92 335i

Thanks guys for all the advice. We are looking for a compact sedan, however we do not want to get a Chevy or a dodge. Chevy because they lose absolutely all resale value and we both just don't like American cars. I would much rather drive a civic then a dart. Will be looking at a few dealers this weekend.

My Ride
    Can't driver because I'm legally blind

Anyone know if the mirage will ever have an awd?

For how to negotiate, I agree with what rx7boi wrote.

For invoice pricing, you can go to carcostcanada.com and they will give you canadian invoice pricing for $40.

Unhaggle.com gives you Canadian invoice pricing for free, but they try to get you to pay for their negotiating service to help you close a good deal on the car you want.

I used unhaggle.com to get lots of invoice pricing information before I bought my last car. It seems to be alright.

I don't keep anything secret from the dealer - I show him the cost reports I obtained and everything and allow him to confirm whether or not they are correct - usually they agree that these are accurate invoice prices - if they don't agree I would let them explain where they say the discrepancies are, but if I think they're fucking with me, I'm gone. If I think they may have something legitimate I would say, okay, but you need to prove it, and if he does, then work with adjusted dealer cost.

Then the conversation/negotiation is just over how much profit is reasonable for the dealer? They need to make some money, so you should be fair too. In that price range of car, 800-1000 over invoice (after all rebates/promotions, etc.) is probably fair. The big surprise is that the MSRP is probably not much more than that - I'd be surprised if in that price range the MSRP was more than a couple thousand over invoice.

Anyway, that's it. -oh and you don't buy anything extra - no extended warranty, no 3M coating, no floor mats - all are cheaper elsewhere if you really want them.

My Ride
    car

I used unhaggle for my 2013 WRX and basically just offered 4% above the dealer invoice price and the accepted it. Probably the easiest way to know you are actually getting a good deal.

You might be able to get into a decent 2013 Impreza if you wanna do the AWD thing..
    dv/dt

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast