Quantcast
Former EPS cop blows whistle on brutality and corruption - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Former EPS cop blows whistle on brutality and corruption

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Default Former EPS cop blows whistle on brutality and corruption

Another cop shunned by his peers for trying to do the right thing.

http://www.cbc.ca/m/touch/canada/edm...tory/1.1871353

A former cop with an exemplary record is going public about what he calls corruption in Edmonton police ranks, after he tried internally to expose what he believes is organized brutality, but got no results.

"I stood up for what's right, and I just got run out of the police service,” said Derek Huff, 37. “I still can’t even really believe it.”

Huff is a 10-year-veteran who resigned in February, three years after he said he and his partner watched — stunned — as three plainclothes officers viciously beat a handcuffed man while he was down.

“They basically had their knees on his back and were just punching and kicking him just as hard as they could …six fists just pummelling this guy … I could hear him screaming,” said Huff.
    Former Edmonton police officer Derek Huff

Former Edmonton police officer Derek Huff is going public about what he calls "corruption" in the force, after he tried to report police brutality internally and got no results. (CBC)

He reported what he saw — and his allegations are now being investigated — but he said until recently the alleged assault was kept quiet.

“I can still remember the sounds of the contact of the knuckles hitting his face… I’ve seen lots of arrests and I’ve never seen anything like that.”

Huff said the main instigator was Constable Jack Redlick, now 30. Before joining the Edmonton Police Service, Redlick, who is six foot three inches tall, was a hockey defenceman who was notorious for his fights on ice.

The alleged victim, according to Huff, was Kasimierz Kozina, who was 29 at the time. Redlick and the other officers had targeted the suspected drug dealer in a sting.
    Vicious beating reported

Huff said Kozina was much smaller than Redlick — and the attack was unprovoked.

“I compared it to the Rodney King beating,” said Huff. “My first initial thought [was] that 'I want to get in this car and get out of here as fast as I can.' [My partner and I] were in shock.”
    Edmonton Police Chief Rod Knecht

Edmonton Police Chief Rod Knecht said Huff's allegations are being taken seriously. (CBC)

Back at the downtown police station, Huff said he saw Kozina being taken away by ambulance.

“His face was a great big giant black ball … of blood and bruising,” said Huff. “It looked like he had a gotten into a full head-on collision and smashed his head into a steering wheel.”

Huff said he and his partner Mike Furman agonized over what to do. They felt they had two choices; "rat" on their fellow officers or — if Kozina complained — they might be forced to lie later, to protect their jobs, because they were there.

“We had a big decision to make,” said Huff.

The next day, Huff said he and Furman told their sergeant what they’d seen. They were so scared, Huff said, they met their boss in a police cruiser and didn’t put anything in writing.

In the meantime, Huff said Kozina needed surgery to repair his face. He never did file a complaint, though.

“If a pack of police officers handcuffed me and put me in the hospital and nothing happened, I’d be pretty scared of them,” said Huff, who said nothing came of their report to their boss, either.
    Coverup alleged

“[The sergeant] came back and said that he read all the reports that were submitted and as far as he’s concerned it justifies the actions that Redlick and his partners took, and that Mike and I no longer need to be involved,” he said.

“I couldn't believe it. Even to this day I still can’t believe it.”

Huff suggested the other officers involved lied, by telling the sergeant Kozina attacked first.

“People stick to a story. They cover things up. They want to justify beating people up,” said Huff. “I ran into corruption. Covering up evidence is corruption.”

He said he and his partner were then branded as "rats" and were mocked and shunned. Huff said it got so bad, when he and Furman called for backup on the street, no one came.

“I went from having a great career to being a rat — and it’s almost like jail,” said Huff. “If you’re labelled a rat in the police service, you’re done.”

Go Public contacted Redlick for comment on all of this, but he didn’t respond. We also asked to talk to Furman. A police spokesperson said neither officer is allowed to talk about this case because it hasn’t been resolved.

Huff said the ostracizing became so unbearable, he couldn’t function at work. He went to other supervisors and managers for help, but he said no one did anything about the root problem.

“Every time I tried to talk to superiors, they would minimize it — into me and my partner having a problem with these beat guys,” said Huff. “And I kept saying, ‘That’s not the problem.’”
    Complaint still unresolved

Two years after witnessing the alleged police brutality, Huff said he went to the deputy chief and revealed all, in a formal, written complaint. It was sent to the Alberta Serious Incident Response Team (ASIRT), which investigates police misconduct.

He also went on stress leave. The investigation into his complaint was completed six months ago, but he’s still waiting to hear the outcome. In the meantime, Huff was ordered back to work in the same division. He quit instead.
    Edmonton police cruiser

Huff said he and his partner met with their supervisor in a police cruiser and told him how they witnessed Redlick and other fellow officers severely beat a man while he was handcuffed. (CBC)

“I gave up. I sacrificed my career. I stood up for what's right, and I just got run out of the police service. I thought there is nothing else I could do. I lost.”

Since Huff initially reported the alleged beating, Redlick has been investigated for other violent police incidents.

In 2011, he shot and killed a 17-year-old aboriginal boy. Police who were there said the teen, Cyrus Green, had fled the scene of a robbery and was threatening them with a knife and a baseball bat.

Redlick shot the teen three times. The officer was cleared of wrongdoing, but the boy’s mother is suing him.
    'Street justice' carried on

Then, last year, Redlick picked up a man in his 50s and beat him up in a schoolyard. Redlick later admitted to that in a statement of fact agreed to during a disciplinary action.

The officer and his partner had arrested George Petropolous after his mother called to say he’d hit her during an argument.
    George Petropolous

George Petropolous said he suffered bruising and internal injuries after police officer Jack Redlick beat him up behind a local high school. (CBC)

Redlick rode in the back seat of the cruiser with Petropolous and then told his partner to pull in to a high school parking lot.

Redlick took the handcuffs off Petropolous and walked him to an area where they couldn’t be seen. Petropolous said the officer then put him face down in the snow and punched him repeatedly — while holding his head.

“He knew what he was doing exactly. I could tell that this man is trained,” said Petropolous, who said he was terrified.

“I was in a tremendous amount of pain — to the point that I couldn’t breathe from the punches … there is something wrong with him.”

Petropolous's lawyer said the allegations his client was arrested for turned out to be unfounded. The charges were stayed.

“But Redlick just shows up. No investigation. Just on basis of a complaint — decides to beat him up and administers street justice,” said Tom Engel.

Petropolous filed a complaint against Redlick, alleging the officer told him he wasn’t the first to get beaten up.

“He says, ‘I’ve done it to other inmates before. I’ve taken them out of the car. Some of them wouldn’t come out. They were crying and begging,’” said Petropolous.

At first, Redlick and his partner denied wrongdoing. Redlick then pleaded guilty to misconduct and was docked $15,000 pay. His partner now faces discipline for lying to protect him.

The file was sent to the Crown, but no charges were laid. However, an Edmonton police spokesperson said because of "other recent information" the Crown is now "re-examining the evidence."
    Lawyer wants cop fired

The disciplinary decision on Redlick said he was suffering from “mental health issues.” Because he had no previous disciplinary citations on his record, it stated, “This was clearly an isolated incident.”

Petropolous’s lawyer said that is outrageous, especially given what Huff reported years earlier. He can’t understand why Redlick is still on the job.

“I’ve been told this guy has been doing this for a long time,” said Engel, who has filed an appeal. “They have a cop who goes vigilante … if you don’t fired for doing that, what do you get fired for?”

“There were so many people inside the organization that knew what Redlick was doing, they knew he was doing this to people, but yet they continue on,” said Huff.

Rod Knecht has been Edmonton’s police chief since 2011. He told Go Public he knew nothing about Huff’s initial allegations until last year. He said he also wasn’t aware of why Huff had resigned.

“Obviously if the good cop goes and the bad cop stays, that’s not a good thing,” said Knecht. “Could things have been done differently? Absolutely.”

When he came on as chief, Knecht promised to protect whistleblowers. He’s now promising to take Huff’s allegations seriously.
    'We'll deal with it': police chief

“Obviously it’s intolerable behaviour. We don’t accept that as tolerable behaviour at all. An officer committing a criminal act — or act against the Police Act — we won’t tolerate that in this organization and we’ll deal with it.”

Despite what’s happened, Huff said he still loves being a cop and wants his job back once this is resolved.

"I did absolutely nothing wrong,” said Huff. “All I’ve ever wanted since day one was the truth — and it’s finally coming out.”

Submit your story ideas to Kathy Tomlinson at Go Public

My Ride
    Lease

Modelaxis, time to shine

My Ride
    Has four wheels

Originally posted by TomcoPDR
    Modelaxis, time to shine
    I think everyone is going to agree with him on this one.

But you can't paint all cops (or all of EPS) with the same brush because of a couple of bad apples.

That of course, assuming that the police chief actually makes good on his word.

My Ride
    G6

Originally posted by Stealth22
    But you can't paint all cops (or all of EPS) with the same brush because of a couple of bad apples.

That of course, assuming that the police chief actually makes good on his word.
    The problem isn't that one "bad apple" beat up a few people. It's that police culture not only allowed and supported concealment of that incident, but went as far as to make the whistleblower resign.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Originally posted by Stealth22
    I think everyone is going to agree with him on this one.
    Quite likely.

Originally posted by Feruk
    The problem isn't that one "bad apple" beat up a few people. It's that police culture not only allowed and supported concealment of that incident, but went as far as to make the whistleblower resign.
    This. If even 3/4's of what he says is true then that's pretty much it.

And it's not like it (hiding crimes and abuses) doesn't happen, you'd have to be incredibly naive to believe any cop who would claim it doesn't. Unfortunately it's just human nature and no amount of screening is going to keep out all the personality types that, pretty much by genetic design, are drawn to seek positions of power over people and prone to abuse it.

That being said, it does NOT mean all cops are bad. It just means this is in no way an isolated incident. I'm still inclined to believe there are more who are motivated and driven by the desire to protect than by the love of outright power but it's usually the power driven ones who wield the most authority and control.
    Last edited by JRSC00LUDE; 10-01-2013 at 09:03 AM.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Why didn't the cop try and stop the beating? Why did he just stand there and watch it go down?

If he was so disgusted to what was happening, why didn't he intervene?

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Originally posted by 89coupe
    Why didn't the cop try and stop the beating? Why did he just stand there and watch it go down?

If he was so disgusted to what was happening, why didn't he intervene?
    Likely a combination of surprise/shock and intimidation. That's not likely something they cover on training day.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    B5 S4, UrQ, UZJ100, 990 SMR

Likely a combination of surprise/shock and intimidation. That's not likely something they cover on training day.
    speaking of which

Originally posted by InRich
    tell her I'll pick her up in the vette
    Originally posted by InRich
    The X5 i bought earlier this year really is FULLY LOADED though not a single option missing including infrared night driving

My Ride
    D40/ED9/R6

I've already commented on a similar story back in 2012, so I'll just repost what I said and the reply from mr. apologist JustGo:

Originally posted by Modelexis
    If a cop did act in full disclosure they would quickly find out that it is against the best interest of the department and their reputation to be divulging extra information that the courts didn't force from you. Same with your partner who you may also incriminate as a result. Are you going to without being questioned admit to a fault during your duties that could possibly lead to your partner losing his job and his family suffering. Maybe you know his kids and you would do anything to protect his family.

We're all human right?

The officer has a wife and kids and a new house and car payments to make, same with his partner which he is also very close to. If they make a false arrest and face the courts and it's their word VS joe blow fucking criminal. Who are they gonna wanna side with? Some dirt bag on his 4th arrest of the month, or with their friend and mentor?

This is fundamentally why it is dangerous to hand over a monopoly of force to a group of people that you trust to carry around guns and with the power of the law and their department behind them.
    Originally posted by JustGo
    As for your additions here, I'll ask you something.

Let's say one of your co-workers steals something from your work, and you see him do it. You know that if he gets caught, he'll get fired. You are good friends with him. But you know that if your boss asks you if you saw him steal it, and you lie, if you get caught, you're both fired.

He may have a new baby, a new car and a mortgage, but you've got all that, too.

What are you going to do?

If you say you're going to lie for him, you're an idiot.

I guess you'll just have to trust me that's the way most cops feel about it.

There is no way in hell I'm gonna lie and risk MY OWN LIVELIHOOD for someone else's mistake.

I'll tell you what would be more likely to ACTUALLY happen... I'd say to him, 'You f***ed up, you have to be honest about it, because I'm not going to lie for you'... and 99.9% of the time, he'll man up, take his lumps, and I won't even have to speak up.

Whether you want to believe it or not, that's how it ACTUALLY works 99.9% of the time. That may not be how it works on TV or in movies, but that's reality.

Unfortunately, the 0.1% of the time the cop takes his lie all the way to the end, and gets busted, well, that makes the news and that's all you ever get a chance to see, so you ASSUME that's how all those situations play out.
    Now a piece from the article:

“People stick to a story. They cover things up. They want to justify beating people up,” said Huff. “I ran into corruption. Covering up evidence is corruption.”

He said he and his partner were then branded as "rats" and were mocked and shunned. Huff said it got so bad, when he and Furman called for backup on the street, no one came.

“I went from having a great career to being a rat — and it’s almost like jail,” said Huff. “If you’re labelled a rat in the police service, you’re done.”
    Last edited by Modelexis; 10-01-2013 at 10:09 AM.
    "Anarchism is not a romantic fable but the hardheaded realization, based on five thousand years of experience, that we cannot entrust the management of our lives to kings, priests, politicians, generals, and county commissioners."

My Ride
    starts with a screwdriver...

Im sure ill take heat for this but in reading other threads out there (Range Rover vs motorcycles) any time theres any form of drug dealer/gangbanger post, most people on here are like "fuck that scum, beat them all to death, i hope they die" but when theres a few articles about police beating up a drug dealer or whatever, everyone is up in arms. Yes, i fully understand that police do abuse power sometimes and there are bad apples in the system but i just find a lot of people on here really hypocritical.
    I MAKE BALLER CARS MORE BALLER.....

My Ride
    D40/ED9/R6

Originally posted by civic_stylez
    sometimes and there are bad apples in the system
    This is a complete pile, you didn't read the article obviously.

-The criminal cop and his partners are bad apples
    -It was reported to the sergeant who covered it all up
    -ASIRT was involved, no outcome
    -They were shunned by the entire department
    -“Every time I tried to talk to superiors, they would minimize it — into me and my partner having a problem with these beat guys,”
    -deputy chief was informed with a formal written complaint
    -The Crown was involved, no charges laid
    -Chief of police says he knows nothing about the complaint until last year and didn't know why Huff resigned.

This is not "bad apples in the system"

This is a bad system with a few good apples that are being picked from the tree and tossed in the trash.

The ONLY 'good apple' in this situation, the only person willing to stand up for what is right is the same person who is being railroaded and run out of town.
    Last edited by Modelexis; 10-01-2013 at 10:49 PM.
    "Anarchism is not a romantic fable but the hardheaded realization, based on five thousand years of experience, that we cannot entrust the management of our lives to kings, priests, politicians, generals, and county commissioners."

My Ride
    Lease

Originally posted by Modelexis

The ONLY 'good apple' in this situation, the only person willing to stand up for what is right is the same person who is being railroaded and run out of town.
    The saddest and scariest times were probably when nobody came help to their backup requests, or took their sweet ass time to assist.

Nicely said.

My Ride
    Nothing

Oh noez, so the police beat the crap out of a drug dealer. Who cares, he should have just STFU and not said anything, not tried to play Captain Justice. Got what he deserved - being blackballed
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    G6

Originally posted by M.alex
    Oh noez, so the police beat the crap out of a drug dealer. Who cares, he should have just STFU and not said anything, not tried to play Captain Justice. Got what he deserved - being blackballed
    Maybe you should read the article before replying.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Wonder how CPS is like.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Not sure, but this article prompted me to do a bit of searching on the Code of Silence.

http://www.ethicsinstitute.com/pdf/C...20Revealed.pdf

Truth about Police Code of Silence Revealed

By Neal Trautman, Ph.D., February 2001

Between February, 1999 and June of 2000, the National Insti tute of Ethics asked 3,714 police officers and recruits from across the nation to provide insight about the most secretive element of any profession; direct participation in the code of silence. Confidential surveys were administered and interviews were conducted with eighty-one different groups of officers and twenty-five separate basic academy classes from
    forty-two different states.
    Officers asked to participate were receiving ethics
    instruction from the Institute. The sampling was
    comprised of 2,657 fulltime officers. A total 1,116 of the 2,657 officers requested to participate, did so. This
    equates to a response rate of 42 percent. In response
    to the statement, “Please describe the first time you
    witnessed misconduct by another employee but took no action,” 532 or 46 percent of the 1,116 who
    completed a survey stated they had witnessed misconduct by another employee, but took no action. The facts presented in this article come from the admissions of these 532 officers

Goals
    The goals of this research were:
    1. Determine if the code of silence exists in law enforcement,
    2. Determine what factors within the organizational culture of law enforcement agencies
    influence officers to conceal the misconduct of other officers,
    3. Develop conclusions and recommendations from which effective recommendations can be made, and
    4. Serve as a needs assessment to permit effective training may be developed.
    The irony is that even the "good apples" find it hard to stand up for their peers in light of something that is supposed to be for good. You can even see things like this in a non-police culture/environment. A bunch of people working in an office with someone who is an intolerable bully, and when someone finally takes a stand, everyone else will clam up. Obviously, it makes those people feel good to pay lip service to integrity, but very few actually put it into action in a public setting. One of the biggest pieces of this is the underlying bureaucratic game that people often have to play to either protect themselves or their careers.

What They Thought Would Happen If They Told
    Responses to the question “At the time of the incident occurred, what did you think would happen if you
    revealed what had taken place?” have been separated into groups of anger, lust, greed, peer pressure and
    other. The replies within each group are presented by order of the most frequent responses to least frequent
    ones.
    Most Frequent Perceived Consequences for Informing on
    Another Officer Of all responses to the question “At the time of t
    he incident occurred, what did you think would happen if
    you revealed what had taken place?” the most frequent reason was the belief that they would be an outcast,
    having been listed 177 times. In descending order the next four reasons were:
    1. The officer who committed the misconduct would be disciplined or fired. 88 times.
    2. I would be fired from my job. 73 times.
    3. I would be “blackballed.”
    59 times.
    4. Administration would not do anything even if I reported it. 54 times.
    Last edited by rx7boi; 10-02-2013 at 02:36 PM.

My Ride
    Nothing

Maybe you should read the article before replying.
    Sorry, allow me to re-adjust my position.

Oh noez, he beat up a drug dealer, killed a 17yr old street thug who robbed a place, had no future and would probably later on in life kill and rape people, and then beat up a guy who beat on an elderly woman* Oh noez won't somebody stop him

*I know it says charged were stayed, but that's probably only because the mother tried to protect her son - my uncle pushed his mother (74) down the stairs because she wouldn't give him any money for drugs. She broke her arm in the fall; police were called, he was arrested for assault, etc... but everything was dropped because she said it was her fault, he didn't hit her, etc....; I'd bet anything something similar happened in this case as well
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    You Crazy

Cops job is not Justice. Never has been, Prick should serve life in Jail.

Courts, and judicial system is for Justice.

Is the guy they beat on in Jail?

And, really, a suspected drug dealer? Last I checked, more than half the people I know do some sort of illegal drug. Guess where they get theirs from? No, not from the pharmacy lol

Willing to bet the dirtbag cop involved does/has done illegal drugs.

Originally posted by Toma
    ...and, really, a suspected drug dealer? Last I checked, more than half the people I know do some sort of illegal drug. Guess where they get theirs from? No, not from the pharmacy lol
    I see where you are going with that, but I prefer to read it as if you and your associates are smack fiends . But you're right, justice is not the police's responsibility.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast