Quantcast
Superstore provincial wide strike to begin 12:01 am Oct 6 2013 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 13 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Superstore provincial wide strike to begin 12:01 am Oct 6 2013

Default Superstore provincial wide strike to begin 12:01 am Oct 6 2013

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...part-1.1914031

Time is running out for 8,500 Superstore workers in Alberta to reach an agreement with their parent company, Loblaw.

The unionized employees are planning to strike starting at 12:01 am M.T. on Sunday if Saturday's last-ditch bargaining efforts fail.

According to a union spokesperson, the two sides are still far apart on some key issues.

Superstore employees have been bargaining since January.

The union says Loblaw's owner Galen Weston is out of touch with Alberta's booming needs, which leaves workers scrambling to maintain quality and safety despite slashed hours and high employee turnover.

"This message is resonating with the consumers because they are saying, 'Yeah, I'm sick and tired of walking into my local Superstore at 3:00 on a Tuesday afternoon – when it shouldn't be lined up and it is – because they have one or two cashiers," said Christine McMeckan, spokesperson for United Food and Commercial Workers Canada Local 401, which represents the Superstore workers.

The workers' collective agreement expired in August 2012, and employees across the province have voted 93 per cent in favour of strike action.

There are 28 stores across Alberta

Unskilled labour strike

Originally posted by phreezee
    Unskilled labour strike
    Tend to agree with this for the most part but I'd be curious to know what the issues are; anyone know? The usual more money/more benefits/pension?

My Ride
    Silverado, G37x

Oh no, guess I'll have to continue avoiding that store like I already do

Originally posted by BrknFngrs

Tend to agree with this for the most part but I'd be curious to know what the issues are; anyone know? The usual more money/more benefits/pension?
    cutting of hours forcing more workloads on existing employees. No guarantee of hours for existing employees. A new wage scale that tops out $7 less than is now will take twice as long to reach for new employees. Company is saying not enough turnover and higher wage employees are hurting the company's business model. All of this after they bought shoppers drug mart for $14 billion.

Originally posted by BrknFngrs

I think I heard that they were actually wanting to take away some things, not 100% sure though.

Originally posted by yoda124

cutting of hours forcing more workloads on existing employees. No guarantee of hours for existing employees. A new wage scale that tops out $7 less than is now will take twice as long to reach for new employees. Company is saying not enough turnover and higher wage employees are hurting the company's business model. All of this after they bought shoppers drug mart for $14 billion.
    It seems like you have a vested interest in this issue as well as some insight that the press doesn't necessarily have so I'd be curious to hear more of your thoughts.

So the cole's notes are that Loblaw's offer is essentially:
    - Cuts to employee headcount?
    - Reduction of hours for employees (this seems counter-intuitive if point 1 is also occurring but maybe it more along the lines of allocating hours in a way that prevents employees from being seen as "full time" for benefits purposes?)
    - Reduction to top rate for all employees and an increase in hours to reach this rate

What's the counter proposal from the union? Are they looking to maintain the agreement they had previously or make some sweeping changes in specific areas?

All the information is public knowledge. You can read the details on the union website http://www.gounion.ca/news/company_offer.cfm

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-22-2019 at 09:59 AM.

Doesn't seem unreasonable to strike.

800,000 US government workers are going to get full pay for not working the last four days (and counting)

Just pay them with EBT food credits, like Mcdonalds pays their employees with their cards.

They do have epic PC brand chocolate chip cookies, much better than the name brand type.
    Cocoa $11,000 per ton.

They should just fire everyone who participates in the strike and bring in filipino's!

On a serious note, fk these people. No education (maybe an arts degree or a SAIT business diploma) and no skills but they expect to get treated well at a job? I hope superstore boots them out the door.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Haha, love reading the comments (and I have to say I agree) - very typical Alberta-minded. Dont like your present situation? Get a new and better job! This is Alberta, not BC or QC.

If the employer believes having shitty or new employees all over the store, then all the power to them as they will just end up hurting their bottom line.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Originally posted by Type_S1

On a serious note, fk these people. No education (maybe an arts degree or a SAIT business diploma) and no skills but they expect to get treated well at a job?
    Union or not, I don't see why that's an unreasonable goal. Do you think the people in the service industry should be treated like dirt?

Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat

Union or not, I don't see why that's an unreasonable goal. Do you think the people in the service industry should be treated like dirt?
    If unskilled labour is going to go on strike...yes, the employer should treat them like dirt.

I am of the mind set that an employer can do whatever he pleases within the current labour laws. There is no place for unions in western society nowadays and no place for strikes. If you feel you deserve a certain pay grade or certain guarantees for hours of work than maybe you should learn skills that force an employer to provide you such things.

/2cents

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

I am of the mind set that an employer can do whatever he pleases within the current labour laws.
    And a union employee can't because... ?

Sorry, but look at the US and see what non-union bass-ackwards thinking like yours has done. The race to the bottom for wages helps NOBODY except for CEO's and managers.

Unions are a leech on society. I am assuming you are in a union if you believe they aren't. Please provide an actual example of how getting rid of a union has ruined America lmao. You want to see an example of unions that ruin companies? Look at Canada Post....that union is sucking Canada post dry.

In the free market an individual gets compensated what he deserves. Companies are forced to keep below average employees on the payroll because of unions. Companies are unable to question employee sick days because of unions. I know union workers who rotate taking sick days so they can milk extra $$ in overtime. Unions compensate laziness. Companies need to provide annual raises, bonuses, retirement savings for employees that don't deserve it.

Let's take this example...say you owned your own business and needed an administrator. You hire a cute young girl as an employee. At first she works hard, isn't that great but you think she will improve. After her probation period she just starts slacking, calling in sick way too often, is not productive and forcing you to work harder. You decide it's time to get rid of her but I come and tell you NO YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED!! Now this girl is causing you to do more work, costing your business money as you cannot focus on thing that matter and you have to compensate her for all her time off and give her a raise and bonus. Now is this fair? Is it fair that you have to pay someone who is clearly taking advantage of you? Is it fair you have no means of punishment for her actions?

Once again, if you want to be compensated well, prove you deserve it. If you don't deserve it than why should a company be forced to do anything for you. This is business not a fking daycare.

Maybe they should add a 20% tip option at checkout.

They should just fire everyone who participates in the strike and bring in filipino's!

That comment right there should be considered a hate crime

Originally posted by revelations
    Haha, love reading the comments (and I have to say I agree) - very typical Alberta-minded. Dont like your present situation? Get a new and better job! This is Alberta, not BC or QC.

If the employer believes having shitty or new employees all over the store, then all the power to them as they will just end up hurting their bottom line.
    To be fair, I don't think Superstore is a place to get good service anyways. Most people go in and out much interaction with front facing staff. They could replace more cashiers by doubling their self checkout and adding an extra attendant to help. The union is asking for 17% on top of minimum wage for a NEW employee. In my mind, a new job at Superstore is the definition of minimum wage...

I thought the unspoken rule of grocery stores was that if you wanted good service go to Co-op or Safeway, but don't expect the best prices. If you want the best prices and crap service, go to Superstore.

I am of the mind set that an employer can do whatever he pleases within the current labour laws.

/2cents
    Those very same labour laws allow the unions that you're opposed to.

It's not that I disagree with you, in fact, I agree with what you're saying.

If I'm a personal business owner, it should be my right to offer whatever wage I want, and to hire and fire at my own discretion.

To take it even further, if I only want to hire Asians, East Indians, or Eskimos, then it's my right. Is that discrimination? Indeed it is, but no one has the right to force their beliefs on someone else. But not only can they do so, but you can be charged if you don't comply.
    Last edited by Seth1968; 10-06-2013 at 08:34 AM.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 11 ... LastLast