Quantcast
Calgary's New ~500K Big Blue Light Post - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 11 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Calgary's New ~500K Big Blue Light Post

Default Calgary's New ~500K Big Blue Light Post

Opinion column from the Sun today

To bicker over $4,800 in suburban development costs, when the city has $470,000 to blow on bad art in ridiculous places.

It seems all too fitting that Calgary’s latest public art project is a giant hole — it should serve as a symbol of money thrown away, for all the good it does us.

Not that there’s anything wrong with public art, when it’s done right, for the right reasons.

But there is something very wrong with art that Calgary is forced to buy, all because the rules are as rigid as this latest lame sculpture.

Anti-art? No: this is anti-giving-half-a-million-bucks to a German firm, to pay for something clearly sketched on a bierhaus napkin in a matter of seconds.

We now have a giant blue metal circle, 17 metres tall, standing on a road where the need for artistic enhancement is dubious, and the result probably distracting for drivers.

More fittingly called “The Big Owe,” the real name of this simplistic circle on 96 Ave. N.E. is “Travelling Light” — a title that works just fine, so long as it’s referring to taxpayer wallets.

“Travelling Light is a bold and innovative artwork, intended to capture the dynamics of Calgary on the move and create a lasting impression for all who experience it,” reads the city’s summary of the circle, built by the inges idee art collective of Berlin.

“This 17 metre sculptural ring will be integrated into the row of existing street lamps and allows a portal into the landscape and the environs. Seen from a distance, it forms a huge window framing the expanses of the landscape, and gives the 96th Ave. N.E. interchange a clear and unmistakable identity — both from far away and up close.”

Whoever penned that drivel worked ten times harder than the artist who drew a circle, then stuck a street light on top.

While it’s claimed “viewers may interpret the arches of the lamps as the handlebars of a high wheeler, the silhouette of a bird about to take flight or perhaps even a butterfly’s antennae,” what it looks like is a circle with a streetlight welded on top — because that’s exactly what it is.

“I’ve said I will never evaluate art, whether good bad or ugly, because it’s in the eye of the beholder, but I’m strong on value for money,” said Shane Keating, incumbent alderman for Ward 12.

“Did we get value for money spending half a million dollars on this? And that’s the question.”

The answer is no.

An opinion of course, much like any criticism of art, but one based on esthetics and wasted money.

When Naheed Nenshi’s entire re-election campaign based on a $4,800 per-house levy he wants to charge for new development in the deep suburbs, you’d think blowing 98 houses worth of cash on bad art would have the mayor and his aldermanic allies livid.

Of course though, they’re not — because this is money they approve of spending, unlike infrastructure cash for young families wanting a house.

Indeed, attempts to even slightly alter the rule, by which 1% of public project money is reserved for art, has been met by stern opposition from council.

Keating tried, but his motion to reduce the percentage set aside for huge projects like the West LRT was defeated.

“That why I wanted a review of public art, to look at this differently,” said Keating.

It’s a spend-it attitude that’s given Calgary artistic shockers like the $2 million sticks jutting out of Ralph Klein Park, and various examples of hidden art, like the ice cream cone sculpture erected behind the water building on 25 Ave. S.E.

Then there’s the debacle over the West LRT, which should have $8.6 million worth of art based on the 1% formula, but someone forgot to budget for it.

The desperate struggle to find that cash retroactively has the city planning to use three lions originally installed on the Centre Street Bridge somewhere on the line, in a bid to offset millions they must funnel from other projects to make the LRT pretty.

At least on the LRT, thousands of people a day will be able to stop and admire the art — unlike the big hole on 96th, into which $470,000 vanished
    Source: http://www.calgarysun.com/2013/10/07...-of-public-art
    Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-22-2019 at 10:12 AM.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

it is such a stupid fixture.

Unless we light it on fire, and use the dirt ramp support structure to try and jump vehicles through it...
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Originally posted by spikers

Unless we light it on fire, and use the dirt ramp support structure to try and jump vehicles through it...
    LOL! I remember when I was driving north on Deerfoot and saw it and was like WTF!?! Then realized it was to signify the Ring Road and then REALLY did a WTFFFF.

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

Why exactly such a love affair with Nenshi and council? Are Calgarians that dumb on average or is it because we believe no one else could do any better?
    Last edited by Aleks; 10-08-2013 at 09:02 AM.

My Ride
    TDi

How the hell does that cost half a million lol
    GO FLAMES GO!

I just figured it symbolized the NE and wondered why it wasn't painted Black.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Find out who voted for this:

http://www.calgary.ca/CSPS/Recreatio...Art-policy.pdf

They're the ones to blame. The 1% art budget rule is ridiculous. Wait till the airport tunnel is done, there's a $2m art budget for a 1/4 mile tunnel thanks to the 1% rule.

My favorite is still the $1.5m trout on the walls of Glenmore. You really only see them when you're stuck in traffic there, and it makes me feel so artsy staring at those fishes on the wall when I'm gridlocked.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Silverado

Originally posted by Z_Fan
    I just figured it symbolized the NE and wondered why it wasn't painted Black.
    ^LOL!

Fuck that thing is stupid. Who ever bought it should not be re-elected.
    Last edited by dirtsniffer; 10-08-2013 at 09:09 AM.

My Ride
    Silverado

Originally posted by rage2
    Find out who voted for this:

http://www.calgary.ca/CSPS/Recreatio...Art-policy.pdf

They're the ones to blame. The 1% art budget rule is ridiculous. Wait till the airport tunnel is done, there's a $2m art budget for a 1/4 mile tunnel thanks to the 1% rule.
    Does it have to be used within that stretch? that a lot of $10000 fishes that will inevitably line the walls.

It also doesnt say in the link who voted for what

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

Saw this last week grabbing my Gf from the airport.. So Stupid...

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by dirtsniffer
    Does it have to be used within that stretch? that a lot of $10000 fishes that will inevitably line the walls.

It also doesnt say in the link who voted for what
    Yup, it has to be part of the project design from the start. I dunno where to hunt for voting records from 2004. While it's not Nenshi's fault that this rule is here in the first place, he should be looking to abolish the rule.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Has either 2 or 4 wheels

Signature..... I ate it!!

My Ride
    E90 335xi, ZX-10R

Man there's some good money to be made in public art when governments have that much money to through at you!

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Originally posted by spikers

First thing I thought driving by on Saturday night was "someone should go all GTA and try and fly a small plane through that"

My Ride
    Grimace

Wow, what a great purchase COC. Great work guys. Nobody better jump on my idea of a square light fixture, I will only charge $400k

My Ride
    2015 Ram 1500

Originally posted by rage2

My favorite is still the $1.5m trout on the walls of Glenmore. You really only see them when you're stuck in traffic there, and it makes me feel so artsy staring at those fishes on the wall when I'm gridlocked.
    the funny part of them was that the first year they opened that overpass it flooded up to the fish...foreshadowing

Frickin on the mayoral forum last night every one was cheering every time nenshi spoke. Even when he said that more than 100% of the cities growth is occuring in the suburbs...which I found a little absurd since more than 100% of growth can't happen anywhere.

I think what he meant is that despite all his efforts to make downtown living pretty and efficient, people are still leaving to the suburbs in favor of more space for less.
    Last edited by Go4Long; 10-08-2013 at 09:52 AM.
    Originally posted by HeavyD
    you know you are making the right decision if Toma opposes it.

My Ride
    '01 B15 Sentra & '10 C11X Versa 6Sp 5Dr

Relax, that is clearly the Halo!

From wikipedia: "... the Forerunners built the rings to contain and study the Flood, an infectious alien parasite."

The NE is a fitting place for the Halo.

EDIT: Maybe we can start a movement to have this thing named the "orifice" hahaha. Suck it! Stupid Edmonton piles of balls!
    Last edited by ga16i; 10-08-2013 at 10:10 AM.
    Someday we may need to activate the halo structure off Deerfoot and destroy the North East.

My Ride
    Unit 91 come in 91

Thought this was sort of a funny time for an ad

Depends on whats it made of. 48 cm cube of nickel (one ton) is a solid $20,000 in raw materials.

A lot of bronze statues (like the bull in front of the stock exchange) are worth well in the hundred thousand range.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Bank_Plaza

Even though the gold is so thin that it still lets some light through, there is still 2,500 ounces of gold in the windows of the Royal Bank Plaza in Toronto.
    Last edited by ZenOps; 10-08-2013 at 10:20 AM.
    Cocoa $11,000 per ton.

My Ride
    1928 Ford Roadster, 1930 Ford Roadster

Heavy Industries installation time lapse
    http://vimeo.com/76119311

Page 1 of 11 1 2 ... LastLast