Quantcast
FDA admits Chicken Meat contains Arsenic (Got Cancer, bro?) - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: FDA admits Chicken Meat contains Arsenic (Got Cancer, bro?)

My Ride
    B5 S4, UrQ, UZJ100, 990 SMR

Default FDA admits Chicken Meat contains Arsenic (Got Cancer, bro?)

http://www.globalresearch.ca/fda-fin...rsenic/5353189

After years of sweeping the issue under the rug and hoping no one would notice, the FDA has now finally admitted that chicken meat sold in the USA contains arsenic, a cancer-causing toxic chemical that’s fatal in high doses.
    But the real story is where this arsenic comes from: It’s added to the chicken feed on purpose!
    Photo: World Truth TV Even worse, the FDA says its own research shows that the arsenic added to the chicken feed ends up in the chicken meat where it is consumed by humans. So for the last sixty years, American consumers who eat conventional chicken have been swallowing arsenic, a known cancer-causing chemical.
    Originally posted by InRich
    tell her I'll pick her up in the vette
    The X5 i bought earlier this year really is FULLY LOADED though not a single option missing including infrared night driving

My Ride
    D40/ED9/R6

The key is 'high doses'

The doses are very low and doesn't affect humans.
    "Anarchism is not a romantic fable but the hardheaded realization, based on five thousand years of experience, that we cannot entrust the management of our lives to kings, priests, politicians, generals, and county commissioners."

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

I agree with Modelexis on this one. (Did I just say that?)

There are traces of all sorts of bad shit in the things we consume, touch, etc. In low amounts, the human body can deal with quite a bit of stuff.

My Ride
    Silverado

What constitutes a low dose?

Say the feed has a small amount. but the chicken eats lots of feed over its life; storing the arsenic in its body.

Then we eat the body which contains all of the stored arsenic; and then we eat lots of chicken..

Similar situation to the pesticides that doesn't harm the rabbit eating the cabbage but it kills the hawk.

fuck this post made me feel like zenops

My Ride

Uhh, you guys missed the point where the arsenic-containing additive (Roxarsone) has been banned by the FDA because yeah, consuming carcinogens is a bad thing, even in small quantities. Canada banned Roxarsone a couple years ago. If anyone cares, Roxarsone is a subsidary of Pfizer.

That being said, nitarsone, a substitute additive, also containing arsenic, is now being used instead.

Eating Organic seems to make more sense every day.
    The X5 i bought earlier this year really is FULLY LOADED though not a single option missing including infrared night driving

My Ride
    D40/ED9/R6

If you go to the shooting range you are exposed to certain levels of lead. Not recommended if you're pregnant but otherwise, the human body is pretty resilient.
    Even solder, if you're doing some wiring on a home project you can be exposed to fumes that contain lead.
    "Anarchism is not a romantic fable but the hardheaded realization, based on five thousand years of experience, that we cannot entrust the management of our lives to kings, priests, politicians, generals, and county commissioners."

My Ride

Originally posted by Modelexis
    If you go to the shooting range you are exposed to certain levels of lead. Not recommended if you're pregnant but otherwise, the human body is pretty resilient.
    Even solder, if you're doing some wiring on a home project you can be exposed to fumes that contain lead.
    ?? Your point? People smoke cigarettes every day as well... just another source of cancer. The idea is to eliminate as many sources as possible.

Electronic workshops have vacuums attached to soldering irons to extract harmful fumes.

I don't shoot guns, but if I made a habit of it I'd consider a mask to filter out lead.

By your same logic, anyone demolishing a mouldy basement from the floods can disregard a mask because it won't kill them instantly.

I'm not saying we need to live in bubbles, but why wouldn't we take easy preventative measures, or even better, ban unnecessary toxic additives from our food? We used to let children play with mercury...

Well, if you want to worry about arsenic, better watch your water intake and not eat any plants. You should especially avoid rice: http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/arsenic-food-faq

Also, don't eat almonds, because they have cyanide in them.

Pears have formaldehyde, so that's scary too.

Fuck it. Imma gonna eat everthin' and not worry about it.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Originally posted by zipdoa
    I'm not saying we need to live in bubbles...
    The levels deemed acceptable will vary with each individual. You say if you shot guns you'd wear a mask.... but if you go to the range, *nobody* is wearing a mask. So one might assume then that what you tolerate as acceptable is less than what most others do.

Like you said, one could live in a bubble if they were really concerned about carcinogens, germs, etc. But obviously, you are not so concerned that you've deemed it required for yourself. As such, you're really putting yourself at more risk than you really need to be... breathing in the airborne pollutants, etc.

Similarily, many people have deemed low levels of arsenic not of particular concern either. I'm sure it isn't in the food because manufacturers feel like putting it in just for the hell of it. (Though I'm not sure off-hand what the purpose is... assuming the article is correct in saying there is no basis to believe it is coming from the chicken fecal matter)
    Last edited by Kloubek; 10-08-2013 at 11:50 AM.

My Ride

Originally posted by dexlargo
    Well, if you want to worry about arsenic, better watch your water intake and not eat any plants. You should especially avoid rice: http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/arsenic-food-faq

Also, don't eat almonds, because they have cyanide in them.

Pears have formaldehyde, so that's scary too.

Fuck it. Imma gonna eat everthin' and not worry about it.
    Unroasted almonds contain Amygdalin (as do apricot seeds, apple seeds, and the seeds of many other fruits), which breaks down into hydrogen cyanide in the body when eaten. This only becomes of concern if you eat enough to exceed the ability of the digestive enzymes in your body to process the cyanide (read: a LOT of almonds).

Keep in mind you'd have to crush most seeds to actually make the Amygdalin digestible.

Also, please don't confuse avoiding intentionally added carcinogens with those occurring naturally in our environment. Yes, it's unavoidable that toxic chemicals will be ingested throughout our lives, but why add them into our foods if it's unnecessary to do so?

My Ride
    D40/ED9/R6

You just made the case that consuming low level of toxins is not an issue for humans.

The title of the thread makes it sound like eating chicken causes cancer and we should all be afraid.

Misleading and uninformed.

My Ride
    Vettel's #1

I always thought it was because shooting a gun in a concrete room must destroy a developing babies ears. I learned something today.

My Ride

You just made the case that consuming low level of toxins is not an issue for humans.

The title of the thread makes it sound like eating chicken causes cancer and we should all be afraid.

Misleading and uninformed.
    Extrapolating incorrectly - minimizing toxic intake is key. The sum of all intake is the real picture, not just one source. The less toxicity we consume, the better.

But from your logic, cigarettes are perfectly safe because they just have low levels of toxins that don't kill you right away.

You seem to misunderstand and lack interpretation .

My Ride
    D40/ED9/R6

Originally posted by CapnCrunch
    I always thought it was because shooting a gun in a concrete room must destroy a developing babies ears. I learned something today.
    Where do I say indoor shooting range?

My Ride
    UA6

The key is 'high doses'

The doses are very low and doesn't affect humans.
    All humans respond differently to different chemicals. What is considered a 'low' dose for one person may have a completely different effect on another person. Multiply that over a lifetime of consumption and the chronic exposure can become apparent.
    Last edited by EG STyLeZ; 10-08-2013 at 12:35 PM.

My Ride
    UA6

Originally posted by dirtsniffer
    What constitutes a low dose?

Say the feed has a small amount. but the chicken eats lots of feed over its life; storing the arsenic in its body.

Then we eat the body which contains all of the stored arsenic; and then we eat lots of chicken..

Similar situation to the pesticides that doesn't harm the rabbit eating the cabbage but it kills the hawk.

fuck this post made me feel like zenops
    Yup it's called bioaccumulation. Same reason we shouldn't eat excessive amounts of fish (mercury). but not sure if bioaccumulation of arsenic is significant in chicken.

Consuming food toxins is pretty much unavoidable, even with so called "organic".

Eat whatever you want, get cardio , and consume a couple of cups per day of blended mixed berries (antioxidants).

Eating Organic seems to make more sense every day.
    to eat organic though you gotta be a balla! have youve walked into a community natural foods store and seen their prices!?

My Ride

Originally posted by l/l/rX

to eat organic though you gotta be a balla! have youve walked into a community natural foods store and seen their prices!?
    Yeah? Have you priced out the cost of treating cancer?

Keep in mind you can get lots of organic foods at Costco.

Have you priced out the cost of treating cancer
    click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

Anyway, this is just like that big hooplah that came around when somebody found something "toxic" in Coke. Sure it was like 5% of the dose which causes harm in mice and <0.01% of what causes harm in humans, but DRUGS R BAD MKAY?

I get that all you're trying to do is minimize the number of carcinogens you ingest, a noble goal, but that doesn't mean this is a big deal to everybody.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast