Quantcast
Mexico and Money - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Mexico and Money

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

^

That's a great explanation and makes much better sense!

Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    2017 370Z / 2018 Sentra / 2008 Sentra

Originally posted by bitteeinbit

I simply find the practice absurd as well-trained (and compensated) staff will provide excellent service regardless of tips.
    Well said...

My Ride
    Super Car(s)

You guys fucking WAAAAAAAY over tip... Over tipping has caused mexico to become a shit hole. thanks guys

My Ride
    Ford F150

Originally posted by InRich
    You guys fucking WAAAAAAAY over tip... Over tipping has caused mexico to become a shit hole. thanks guys

Once tips start being demanded I'd never go back. Plenty of beautiful places on earth that dont demand you pay out your ass to simply enjoy it.
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

My Ride
    Busa

While you are down there you have to get some arrachera. My favourite place is HC's on 1st and 25th. Map.

Last edited by Rat Fink; 12-02-2020 at 06:34 PM.
    Thanks for the 14 years of LOLs. Govern yourselves accordingly and avoid uppercut reactions!

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

I think in many cases you guys who tip extra are fooling yourselves if you think you're getting better service for a few extra bucks.

Last time I went to an all inclusive in Mexico some friends and I went out on an excursion. The tour guide was a totally chill guy you could have a regular conversation with, none of that rehearsed stuff. He used to work at a few of the resorts before got a different job taking guests out on day trips and he told us how it works at the most of the resorts (there are some exceptions). He basically said it doesn't matter if you tip them $1, $10, or $100 or nothing. You're gonna get good service anyways cause that's pretty much their whole industry. If the guests are unhappy, the resort looks bad, and business will suffer in the highly competitive market so it's in the staff's best interest to please the guests. The money you tip them goes into a big giant staff pool and at the end of the month it gets divided up among everyone.

Now I'm sure there are employees who pocket the tips they're supposed to be sharing and I'm not saying not to tip the staff, because they do work hard and do a great job and never complain, but generally speaking throwing your money around is about making you feel better about yourself more than hooking the staff up and getting extra service. At smaller resorts with fewer staff, the employees may see more of the extra tip and give you a bit better service, but if you're hitting up any of the bigger, party-centric resorts, it's not gonna make much of a difference.

Obviously it's gonna be different outside of the hotels, like with taxis, nightclubs, tours, etc that aren't operated by the resorts.

You want better service? Go tell management you're thinking of buying a timeshare

My Ride
    958.2 Cayenne Diesel

Originally posted by D'z Nutz
    He basically said it doesn't matter if you tip them $1, $10, or $100 or nothing. You're gonna get good service anyways cause that's pretty much their whole industry.
    Thats a really nice thought that the service workers are not working in their self interest, but for the collective interest of the resort, in which they earn peanuts and are used to getting tips.

My experience was the exact same as Rat Fink. When we went to Cancun there were people saying that the staff favoured the Canadians (us), and it was obvious, we walk up to the bar and all the tenders leave to pour us drinks etc. It was only because we tipped the bartender around $50 at the beginning of the trip, and a few bucks here and there for the rest of the trip, over 7 (!) guys.

Your tipping money goes a long way over there. Its awesome.
    Originally posted by arian_ma
    your stomach is full of sulfuric acid

My Ride
    rs4, ram, 675f3

Originally posted by Rat Fink

I went for my first time last summer. This one server at our resort absolutely made our entire trip. He was the best server I've ever seen. Our dining experience was awesome all week long because of him. We were handing out 1 to 5 dollar tips at the end of each night. On our last day we handed him a 50 dollar tip and told him to take his kids somewhere fun on his next day off and he almost started crying. For me, that was worth it. For all the times he served us, if it was in Alberta we would've had to hand him 300 bucks AT LEAST for our group to not have spit in our food. You say Mexico is a shithole but I'd say the piece of shit city you came home to is just as bad, if not worse due to the self entitlement many people in the hospitality/service industry have in Alberta.
    very true. i don't go over board on tipping 1$ per round of drinks up to 5$ for dinner and i get awsome service, way better then here.

Default Tipping in Mexico?

I am going to Mexico with all inclusive in this month.
    How much do you guys normally tipping in Mexico when you served by bartender, at restaurant and room made?What money should bring to there, either US money, Canadian money, or Mexican peso?
    Where is the best place an exchange rate either bank, exchange office, at airport in Calgary or airport in Mexico?
    Please let me know your guys experience.

Thanks in advance.

I usually tip the people I plan to see often (regular bartender, maid, etc) a few US to get good service and then usually tip 5-10 towards the end of the trip.

A few bucks in the room can get you champagne etc..

I usually take US money but can get it without getting dinged by the bank so I am not worried about the conversion cost.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

I've been to Mexico a couple times now... honestly, tipping didn't make a big enough difference for me to feel like I was getting something "extra" for it.

If you stay in one place/see the same people all the time, it makes sense. But everyone seemed to be different every day, and I didn't just sit at the resort for two weeks. And again, even tipping didn't seem to make it "that" better.

There is also a high likelihood of tipping someone well and you getting NOTHING for it, as described earlier in this thread. Maybe the manly good looks and charm of some of our fellow Beyonders is working in their favour and they don't know it

I'd stick with the $1USD for a normal tip, $5USD for great service and call it a day. But maybe that's just me

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Haven't done an all inclusive for years... but a decent tip was the difference between well rum and the top shelf...

Is the USD still king in Mexico? Thought the peso was starting to take over as preferred currency?

Originally posted by ercchry
    Haven't done an all inclusive for years... but a decent tip was the difference between well rum and the top shelf...

Is the USD still king in Mexico? Thought the peso was starting to take over as preferred currency?
    They don't care if you give USD. Peso's are better. They don't want CAD.

Most people I know just get Peso's and ignore any USD.

My Ride
    2011 5.0 FX4

The last two trips we have done down there we have only done the peso and had zero issues.

We've never not tipped so i cant say 100% it helps but for the amount you tip its not going to kill you is it

Order US $1 bills ahead of time from where ever youre changing money. I got screwed in cancun and the first day i had to tip $5's for anything because the hotel Claimed they didnt have enough $1's and all they could do were $5's to change for my larger bills. You also feel like a baller holding stacks of cash even though its a couple hundred lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    and I did not have the only say in the matter (most people just want it done ASAP and don't care about quality).
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If anything we made a better decision because we had a consensus and were all on the same page.

My Ride
    Eclipse

Originally posted by lasimmon

They don't care if you give USD. Peso's are better. They don't want CAD.

Most people I know just get Peso's and ignore any USD.
    Not true at all...

Some stores in playa tell USD and give better exchange rate than XE.com everyone with USD goes there to shop (mexicans)

While the 1usd = 21peso now they would prefer 1USD..

With CAD it's hit or mix they will take it but not coins....
    Originally posted by beemerm3
    so if we only seen 5 % of the oceans why not drain them or somethin lol or can u even transfer water from one ocean to another??? think of all the stuff u'd find treasures n eerything.

My Ride
    G

Hit up mexico at least once a year. Don't usually notice a difference with tipping but I do it anyways. Usually 1 or 2$ at the hotel restaurants. 5$ for the room cleaning people and then my friends and I would take turns tipping the bartender every few rounds

Last time we went my gf brought some new makeup with her to give out to the ladies working on the resort. They were very grateful and the cleaning lady got us and extra bottle of champagne for our villa. I heard of other friends bringing back school supplies to leave for the cleaning staff for their kids.

I've always brought usd and end up getting peso as change anyways when you go shopping in town

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

After our last trip down there I don't think I'm going to bother with USD anymore, just Pesos. Why would I change my currency to something that the locals also then have to change again, losing twice on exchange rates.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

I just got back a few weeks ago and in my experiance, the USD was a way worse deal. All the interac transactions where always converted to peso's and by some off the cuff top of their head exchange rate.

Asking to pay in peso's was always a better deal. The only time i used USD is to pool money for the bride and groom that had $1k USD taken from them by the cleaning staff.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast