Quantcast
Reviews of Toyota Dealerships - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Reviews of Toyota Dealerships

My Ride
    A fat car

Default Reviews of Toyota Dealerships

Finally had time to write this up - thought I'd share my purchasing experience to the community

Since I had a kid and the fact that the wife started to work across the city, we've been searching for a small car that is roomy, fuel efficient and reliable. The choices that we had were:

- Nissan Juke (tossed this as the boot was waaaay too small, can't even fit the stroller)
    - Honda Fit (liked the interior, exterior is nice, drive is nice, however can't justify paying that much for it)
    - Scion iQ (well, we liked the idea of it, but it is just not practical since you can't even fit a backpack in the back and it's just feel unsafe to drive especially w/ a kid in the back haha) -thanks for the advice I've received from beyonder on this
    -Mazda 3 - they are nice and all, but it's getting dated

Finally we've decided on a Prius b/c the wife likes the spacious interior and to be honest, I actually like the looks of it. I've did my research online and found the invoice price and had a number in mind to go in and buy. We didn't need a test drive as we had the opportunity to drive this before on a trip so that should save some time on both sides.

First Stop - Henniger Toyota
    We've bought 2 toyotas (Previa and 4runner) here before so this was the first on our list.
    We were there just before the long weekend and was browsing around and a sales person approached us. We've talked over some features (which I've researched upon already) and talked about pricing. It was getting late so we told him to call us back after the long weekend to go thru the details b/c we'll be out of town. Guess what? Nobody called so his business card was tossed.

Second Stop - CountryHills Toyota
    Went to CH because they have a clearance event going on and they are giving away Gas cards or Wintertires. We thought this might be a good deal. Walked around the place, sat in the Prius for good 15min, nobody come find us, I then walked to the reception and while I was lining up, a salesman came and approached us.

So, same deal again, talked thru some features and sat down for numbers. This time we've actually negotiated and finally agreed on a deal. Put down my deposit and I was a happy man as I've finished all this in 3 hours or so...
    Awesome right? Later in the evening, I've sent them an email to confirm the delivery schedule and this is the email I've received on the following Monday:

Hi Mike

We had a really busy day yesterday,sorry for the late reply so far there is only 3 2013 Prius w/ Solarpanel package in-town Calgary. we are trying to relocate the Prius with the most less mileage and once we have confirm and the car has landed in our dealership then me and my finance will send you your VIN number for your Prius to do your insurance. I will call you as soon as the car is in our store.

best regards
    later in the day...

Afternoon,Mike

The only 3 Prius’ available in town will have (KN3DUP-BB-070) have 390kms, 800 kms and over 1000kms.
    Please let me know how you wish to proceed.which one would you like to take they are all the same color brand new.

I can secure the one with 390kms with no issues.

Thanks!
    Up to this point, I was just pissed off as they are not giving me what I've asked for and agreed upon - a brand new 2013 white w/ solarpanels. I've then phone the salesman directly and told him that this is not acceptable and they are not delivering what they've promised me (i.e. New car not a 390km demo). After a couple more email/conversation exchanged, I've told him that I'll be coming in to get the deposit back from them. In the meanwhile, the general sales manager emailed me and asked if I needed any assistance (I assumed that the salesman has talked to him about the situation) and this is my reply:

Hi Rahul,

Thanks but we've come to a conclusion that there's no car in the inventory that fitted what I was looking for. I was quite surprised that the sales team (not only Robert) has asked me to put down a deposit for a sale commitment without actually having the car in the lot or available elsewhere. I’m coming into the dealership this Saturday to have my deposit returned and I don’t anticipate there will be any issues of CH returning what I’ve originally put down as a lock on the vehicle.

I’ve tried to make this as easy as it can to complete the transaction but unfortunately, the hassle that I’ve been through has simply exceeded my patience. Before coming to the dealership, I’ve looked up the invoice report on the web (funny enough that you’ve contacted me as you were listed as the certified dealer on the report I’ve gathered.), factored in the commission as well as the package costs, added the tax and Freight/fees etc and walked in on Saturday to commit to buy knowing that CH has a deal going on. I was thinking – Great, free gas or winter tires, I can take advantage of this.

To give you an idea what has happened that day: Got into the dealership and walked around the grey Prius Plus that CH has at the front of the dealership for a good 10-15min, I believed there was an asian salesman beside me but never approached us, I’m not sure the rationale behind that was since he was free, but I’ve then decided to go to the reception and ask for a salesman. I would like to let you know the guy in front of me (lining up to the reception) is also looking for a salesman to help him out. I’m sure CH is busy, but honestly I’m not sure exactly how busy it would be to have more than one customer waiting for a salesman. Robert has walked in while I was waiting to talk to the reception and he has offered help. I appreciated that. He then asked me what I was looking for and showed me the White 2012 Prius w/ Solar Panel package upstairs at the dealership. I told him that I don’t need a test drive and is committed to buy when the price is right. We've then sat down and I’ve given him the number that I had in mind and told him that I’m open in colour options. I told him that I’m willing to take White/Grey/Blue/Red. Everything has been smooth up to there and back and forth negotiation was exchanged (fair enough as I know how sales work) and then we’ve finally shook on a Out-The-Door price on a 2013 White Prius w/ Solarpanel Package. He has then brought me into the finance manager’s office (I believed his name is Faird but cannot confirm since I was not given a business card). Anyway, he asked me to fill out some forms, complete a credit check and put down a deposit. Now stop for a moment and think about this. If you/finance manager/CH asked me to put down a deposit, that means 2 things to me: 1) Buyer (me) and Seller (CH) has agreed on the said price I shook on w/ Robert (Our the door price, no hidden fees, no BS) and 2) the car is available (either in the lot or you are able to find one for me). I’m sure that's what a deposit is meant – to lock down so that both parties are protected and for buyer to show commitment that they are not wasting time. After the finance manager took my deposit, he said that I’m good to go and mentioned that I should be able to know if I’m approved latest by Monday. Up to this point I was quite happy because 1) I think I had a decent deal 2) time it took was short so that both of the parties are happy 3) I like what I’ve been seeing so far as I was promised that I will have a car by the week after the coming one (Oct 7th’s week).

Monday – no calls but I did receive an email from Robert saying “Hope you had a great experience” and I wrote back to confirm with him the out the door price and my situation of the delivery

Tuesday – no calls, and I’ve resent the email to Robert’s own email address as the first email was from a general sales mailbox. Later in the afternoon, Robert emailed me and advised that there’s three “new” Prius with 390km, 800km and over a 1000km on them and which one I’d like to take. I was puzzled when I saw that email because 1) I don’t think we are on the same page of what “new” means 2) I wonder if my deal would have gone thru and 3) It was never mentioned what I’ve requested in my original email – confirmation from finance manager my Out the Door price that . With that in mind I told Robert to call me to discuss further

Wednesday – Robert called and I told him that new doesn’t mean as it has 390km on it and I’ve given him the option to keep looking or find me one with different colour as I wasn’t picky on the colour. He told me that he cannot get access to other dealership’s inventory and that he couldn’t confirm the credit nor the out the door price for me as the manager is off. I told him that CH has TWO managers and I’m sure he can assist him to do so. If not, I think the online inventory via various dealership website should be able to give him an idea. With that in mind, I told him to look again. Later the day he called again and asked if I’d consider a 2012 and try to sell to me that it’s essentially the same vehicle. Let’s take another time-out. If I take a 2012 vehicle to the dealership and trade in, how much would you offer it to me? Now let’s look at the same car but with year 2013 on it, what would you have offered me? Again, this is basic supply/demand and depreciation concept and I’m sure you get what I’m trying to say. On the ground, I’ve told Robert to find me a 2013 vehicle and to hold up with whatever it was promised before and what we had agreed and shook upon. One final call from Robert in the afternoon and he said that he cannot find a 2013 vehicle and that if I would consider a 2014. Time-out number three. Firstly – I appreciate that 2014 is newer however, under general – again supply/demand concept – the 2014 will probably NOT have the incentive that 2013 offers (0% financing at 48months). At least not at the beginning of the year when they try to sell it. But most importantly, my question still holds since day one – what happened to my deposit? Did it lock down a vehicle for me? Does it go to the salesman/finance manager? Does it represent that I’ve committed to buy and CH is committed to find me that vehicle in the price we agreed on? If it doesn’t hold a vehicle for me, then what does a deposit do? I then told Robert that I’m not interested in a 2014 and he needs to call me back to have this sorted out when the manager is back.

Thursday (Today) – I called Robert and left VM and he called me back today and told me that there’s only 3 (the mentioned 390km/800km/1000km) Prius w/ the package I want. Fair enough, I told him that I’ll come by and pick up the deposit this Saturday and I’ll do the search of the Prius I want on my own.

I tried to make this an easy task for the both of us. I did my research, factored in a commission so that I'm not low-balling you/your team/CH. I denied a test drive to save time and went straight to talk numbers; we shook on a deal in less than 3 hours... Isn’t that easy money for the dealership? I thought that a few hundred dollar in commission in less than 3 hours is pretty good since he can then go on and find other opportunities in the dealership. In my job field, time and opportunities are always the most valuable thing in a sale. However, in the end, the car that I shook on and promised was never there, I’ve wasted 3 hours of my time, given up my information for a credit check (which by the way will decrease my ratings since a finance institute has pulled the report). From a win-win situation to a lose-lose. Now...I don’t have a new car next week and I have to go to a dealership to negotiate again and for you - CH is without a few hundred dollars (may not be a big loss on your end) but let me say this: my family has been a loyal Toyota fan and will continue to be one – We’ve owned Previa/4runner and ready to own a Prius. Where my next purchase of the Prius will be - well, it was supposed to be CH, but now I'm just doubtful on this.

So – to answer your email with one line – are you able to find me a 2013 White Prius w/ Solarpanel package on the OUT-THE-DOOR price that I’ve negotiated (My deal also included a free lifetime oil change at 3 locations (CH/South Pointe/Mayfield in Edm), 2 sets of mats and CAD 1000 gas card (I believe Robert said it’s from PetroCan).

Let me know,

Mike
    The general sales manager then emailed the sales manager and he (the sales manager) replied my email that he's going to give me a few options and we'll talk further on saturday.

Saturday came, and I've walked into the dealership and the salesman showed me the showroom 2012 model again and I told him I don't want a 2012 and we finally went to the finance manager and got my deposit back. BTW - the sales manager that told me that they have some options for me never came to greet us which is IMO a poor salesmanship.

I'm glad that they've given the deposit back to me, but at the same time, I'm pissed that they promised me something that they don't even have to begin with...

SO right after this, I went to my last stop Charlesglen and the salesman (John) advised me that there's no 2013 white w/ solarpanel but they have a few w/ different options for me to choose. I've finally decided to get the one w/ Plus package since there were cash incentive on this.

The experience I had at Charlesglen was much more straight forward, no BS, no run around and ppl were friendly and helpful.

I hope this will give you some thoughts when you go and talk to the sales crew at Hennigner and CH.

Coles notes:
    -wanted to buy a Prius
    -went to Henniger, talked a bit but salesguy never called back
    -went to Countryhill and finialized on a OUT-THE-DOOR price but ended up they never had the car to begin with nor was able to track one down
    -went to Charlesglen and was told there isn't a car in their inventory that matched my criteria in western Canada and I've locked down a car w/ a different package.
    Last edited by Phihalo; 10-18-2013 at 08:27 AM.

My Ride
    2015 IS350 F Sport

I've bought two cars off of Charlesglen Toyoya. One used, one new. Both experiences were good.
    "if you disagree with my views are cannot adequately my criticism then ignore my posts." - Nusc

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

+1 for Charlesglen. When I bought the Yaris, I went in there after work, went on a test drive, agreed on price, and bought the car. The whole experience took an hour, although they couldn't deliver the car that night because I went in pretty late. Their service has been top notch over the years, even replacing the transmission after warranty expired.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Interestingly enough, I'd dare say that there's people that have had great experiences at all three of the aforementioned Toyota dealerships.

This is kind of like when people come into our shop looking for a recommendation for a good veterinarian - after a number of years in the pet industry I've heard both great, in-between and bad reviews of every vet out there. The vet we used to take our animals for over 20 years who has since retired - well we thought he was great and we never had a bad experience with him and yet I have customers who have nothing but bad to say about him. Another vet clinic where we've had some poor experiences - I've had rave reviews of the same place from some of our customers.

Hard to say why some get a different feel/experience then others do - might be something you're bringing to the table, might be just the wrong day that you happened to be there. Who knows. Just look at the thread on the 32nd Ave NE Minute Muffler - people reporting horrible experiences there and people reporting great experiences there. The biggest variable at play are the people involved - both the customers and the retailers. Hell, we've let people go because the customers were not getting a good vibe/experience from them even though those employees really knew their stuff - problem is that most times an employer will not start getting the real reviews of their staff until that staff member is gone.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    A fat car

Originally posted by rotten42
    I've bought two cars off of Charlesglen Toyoya. One used, one new. Both experiences were good.
    +1 for Charlesglen. When I bought the Yaris, I went in there after work, went on a test drive, agreed on price, and bought the car. The whole experience took an hour, although they couldn't deliver the car that night because I went in pretty late. Their service has been top notch over the years, even replacing the transmission after warranty expired. [/B]
    Agreed. The only reason I went to Henniger first was it's closer to me (I'm in the deep south) and CH 2nd was for their incentives... I think it's definitely worth the drive up to Charlesglen b/c of the experience. Only thing bad is that I need to drive the car 'naked' with no 3Ms on crowchild all the way back home

Here's a pic of the car: (Haters pls stop hatin LOL)

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by speedog
    Hard to say why some get a different feel/experience then others do - might be something you're bringing to the table, might be just the wrong day that you happened to be there.
    Probably. I went in there, and an asian sales guy talked to me. I didn't even have to request it. Asians work harder from what I heard.

Originally posted by Phihalo
    Really like those wheels.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    2011 Mustang GT

Jokes aside, what is the beyond consensus of South Pointe Toyota?
    Beyond's Most Wanted

My Ride
    2017 GTI

My parents bought a venza from Cochrane, they were awesome and I would recommend them! They got us exactly what we wanted and it was a good deal. My sister just ordered a rav4 from them as well!

My Ride
    1290SDR, 701SM

Originally posted by dtrieu
    My parents bought a venza from Cochrane, they were awesome and I would recommend them! They got us exactly what we wanted and it was a good deal. My sister just ordered a rav4 from them as well!
    You signed up just to post this "unbiased" review?

It's the absolute worst when companies make fake reviews.

My Ride
    2017 GTI

Originally posted by snowcat

You signed up just to post this "unbiased" review?

It's the absolute worst when companies make fake reviews.
    No sorry, my other account actually got locked. "Trieuth" when I swapped couldn't use my work email anymore when I went back to school. This just happens to be the first post I've made.

My Ride
    Silverado, G37x

Originally posted by Tomaz
    Jokes aside, what is the beyond consensus of South Pointe Toyota?
    My girlfriend (at the time) bought a 2009 Matrix off their used lot in 2012. We walked into the showroom, were approached within a few minutes and asked if we needed help, wanted any coffee/water,etc. Salesman comes with us to take a look at a few outside, the second one we looked at looked good, drove it, liked it, negotiated smoothly, yada yada yada, bought it. Very smooth overall.

The next day I noticed that the hard rubber floor mats that were in the car when we test drove it were gone and replaced with thin cloth ones. We called the salesman, he said he'd talk to the detailers and call us back by the end of the day. Two hours later he calls us back, says the detailers didn't notice any other matts but that he'd grab a set from a 2012 they had in stock and put them in his office to grab. Kinda suspicious that they went missing in the first place, but we got what we wanted and I swung by after work and picked them up.

No problems here, A+ experience.

Few months later when I was looking for a truck I test drove a Tacoma, then the next day got 3 calls asking when I was coming in to buy. Told him I wanted to take a look at other trucks in the market first. Fast forward 2 weeks, I've gotten called by this salesmean at least twice a day. After a few days I stopped answering but he was always leaving long voicemails. That drove me away from buying there. Then 3 MONTHS later, I started getting calls from another salesman saying the one I was dealing with was gone, and he wanted me to come buy a truck from him. Never answered one of these calls, but he called once a day for a whole week after that. To be fair I probably could have stopped those calls by answering and saying I wasn't interested, but it was still annoying.

Overall, I'd go back. Sales tactics like that annoy me but they're to be expected, and my girlfriend had a very positive experience.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Originally posted by btimbit

My girlfriend (at the time) bought a 2009 Matrix off their used lot in 2012. We walked into the showroom, were approached within a few minutes and asked if we needed help, wanted any coffee/water,etc. Salesman comes with us to take a look at a few outside, the second one we looked at looked good, drove it, liked it, negotiated smoothly, yada yada yada, bought it. Very smooth overall.

The next day I noticed that the hard rubber floor mats that were in the car when we test drove it were gone and replaced with thin cloth ones. We called the salesman, he said he'd talk to the detailers and call us back by the end of the day. Two hours later he calls us back, says the detailers didn't notice any other matts but that he'd grab a set from a 2012 they had in stock and put them in his office to grab. Kinda suspicious that they went missing in the first place, but we got what we wanted and I swung by after work and picked them up.

No problems here, A+ experience.

Few months later when I was looking for a truck I test drove a Tacoma, then the next day got 3 calls asking when I was coming in to buy. Told him I wanted to take a look at other trucks in the market first. Fast forward 2 weeks, I've gotten called by this salesmean at least twice a day. After a few days I stopped answering but he was always leaving long voicemails. That drove me away from buying there. Then 3 MONTHS later, I started getting calls from another salesman saying the one I was dealing with was gone, and he wanted me to come buy a truck from him. Never answered one of these calls, but he called once a day for a whole week after that. To be fair I probably could have stopped those calls by answering and saying I wasn't interested, but it was still annoying.

Overall, I'd go back. Sales tactics like that annoy me but they're to be expected, and my girlfriend had a very positive experience.
    Same problem with the repeat calls after looking at a vehicle, and they did keep calling me when I told them I had decided not to purchase which really annoyed me.

My Ride
    958.2 Cayenne Diesel

Originally posted by Phihalo

Agreed. The only reason I went to Henniger first was it's closer to me (I'm in the deep south) and CH 2nd was for their incentives... I think it's definitely worth the drive up to Charlesglen b/c of the experience. Only thing bad is that I need to drive the car 'naked' with no 3Ms on crowchild all the way back home

Here's a pic of the car: (Haters pls stop hatin LOL)

Look like Black Chrome IS350 rims.
    Originally posted by arian_ma
    your stomach is full of sulfuric acid

My Ride
    A fat car

Originally posted by Neil4Speed

Look like Black Chrome IS350 rims.
    I googled them and they do look alike, these rims are probably one of the better factory ones I've seen/own

My Ride
    Silverado, G37x

Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo

Same problem with the repeat calls after looking at a vehicle, and they did keep calling me when I told them I had decided not to purchase which really annoyed me.
    Had a friend who had a interview for a sales position at south pointe. Sales manager said that for an hour a day, they all sit in the conference room together and spend the hour calling anyone that's left their number. Friend turned down the job after that. This is probably common, but it annoys the hell out of me. Whenever looking for a vehicle now I leave my fax number that no calls can get through too, unless I'm 100% sure I'm going to buy it.

However I did go back there to look at a Rav4 for my girlfriend this August and had the least pressure salesman ever, that was very refreshing. He and I chatted about Tacomas and Formula 1 while my girlfriend looked around, and he still answered all her questions. Wish I remembered his name

My Ride
    16' Tacoma Offroad

Always give out fake # unless you plan on buying it.

If I mess up I simply tell them I took the car for a joy ride and have no intention of purchasing lol.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

I've dealt with the parts department at the Sunridge location and also Heninger, and both have been good. Had service done at Heninger and again was quite pleased with how things went. No experience buying a new Toyota unfortunately.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Nothing worth mentioning.

I just bought a highlander for my wife at canyon creek Toyota and they were excellent.

Southpointe is crap. Won't go back.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    "Look at my small penis everyone,"

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Oh ya forgot about Canyon Creek. That's where I did my title and warranty transfer and looked at a used SUV before that. Both instances were very professional.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    '19 GTI

I've always gotten the annoying follow up via email/phone looking at vehicles anywhere... Part of the game i guess.

Just started looking for fleet vehicles for work - talked with a sales guy on the phone from southpointe, gave him my info - no dice, week later haha.
    This place is just convenient, guess i'll be calling some other places looking for someone to get back to me hah.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast