Quantcast
Say NO to Nenshi says Calgary Sun - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Say NO to Nenshi says Calgary Sun

My Ride
    1290SDR, 701SM

Default Say NO to Nenshi says Calgary Sun

http://www.calgarysun.com/2013/10/20...cipal-election

We were wrong in endorsing Naheed Nenshi three years ago. We’re big enough to admit it. But here’s what he told us then. We’ll let you measure whether he’s lived up to the promises.

Excerpts from the Oct. 17, 2010, editorial endorsing Nenshi:

Of the three (candidates), Nenshi has done the best job of identifying the problems plaguing city hall and articulating the strategies needed to remedy them.

He’s business friendly and passionate about restoring fiscal responsibility and transparency — and cutting red tape.

As former consultant to some of the world’s biggest corporations, Nenshi knows his way around a balance sheet and the complexities of a huge organization such as the City of Calgary.

Nenshi has demonstrated an ability to work well with others. We believe it is essential he use those skills working closely with the people who build homes and create jobs in this city to find a realistic solution to address the costs of growth.

Nenshi’s pledges:

At a Sun editorial board meeting just before the 2010 election, Naheed Nenshi described himself as the “real fiscal conservative” among the field running for mayor.

Soon after his 2010 election, Nenshi told the Sun’s Rick Bell he wants to see less council business done behind closed doors, saying “We are living in a more open world.”

Nenshi said during the 2010 election the previous council was divisive and he would do a better job of getting aldermen to work together, as well as forging better relationships with other levels of government.

Five reasons the Sun is NOT endorsing Naheed Nenshi in Monday's municipal election:

Reason 1: Money hungry

In the spring of 2011, the province lowered its educational portion of Calgary’s municipal tax bill to the tune of $42 million.

Rather than return that money to taxpayers, as was intended, Nenshi and council voted in favour of keeping the money in city coffers.

Then in 2012, the province again lowered its educational portion of the municipal tax bill, this time resulting in $52 million being earmarked for return to the taxpayer (you), which the city kept. Municipal Affairs Minister Doug Griffiths was quoted as saying the money was intended to be returned to taxpayers “since Calgarians were paying more than their fair share,” but instead the city kept it, as per its policy set one year before.

Nenshi has said keeping the $52 million was the “right thing to do,” first saying it was needed as the province has cut some $150 million in capital grants, then changing his tune and saying it was needed for flood repairs, despite the fact the province and feds have said they will cover those costs.

Nenshi has also proposed the city keep the money in 2014, which will be voted on by the next council.

Reason 2: Overtaxing Calgarians

Since 2011, Nenshi has overseen a council that raised the city portion of municipal taxes more than 30% — 10.4% in 2011, 5.1% in 2012 and 13.1% in 2013 for a compounded total of 31% — the highest in recent memory. The indicative tax rate proposed for 2014 is 6.1%, which will be the subject of a debate and vote by the new council in November.

Reason 3: Less transparency

According to a Manning Foundation Report released last month, city council under Nenshi’s leadership met in-camera — away from public scrutiny — for 129.5 hours, equaling about 19% of their total meeting time. Nenshi has said publicly Calgarians can expect “more of the same” in the future.

Reason 4: Doesn’t play well with others

Nenshi has clashed several times publicly with his provincial counterparts, most notably Municipal Affairs Doug Griffiths, whom he has accused of meddling in civic affairs. Just last week, in a new war of words, Nenshi said Griffiths has accomplished nothing for Calgary in his tenure as minister.

Reason 5: Doesn’t play well with his own

Despite saying during this election campaign that the previous council “works well” together, in the spring of 2012 Nenshi hired a psychologist, Dr. Ivan Zendel, to help mediate what he called a “dysfunctional” council.

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

Oh, okay, so lets ditch Nenshi for all of two reasons in that whole list, number 1 and two, meanwhile forgetting all the good things he's done for Calgary.

Brilliant

That and your news source is the Calgary Sun, which is literary garbage if I've ever seen it. If it was printed on softer paper, I'd use it for toilet paper, thats literally it.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    05 GDB V.8 / ZX10R / T1-7L

Lots of misguided post college angst in that article. Who's the author?

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-22-2019 at 10:31 AM.

Originally posted by Sugarphreak

Positive:

There isn't really anything remarkable that he has accomplished as Mayor aside from being really really good at tweeting
    I LOL'd.

It's true.

My Ride
    2015 Ram 1500

The SUN is tabloid trash

That said, Nenshi has basically just held the status quo for most things that Bronco had setup in his time. If I actually look at how his policies have impacted me directly it goes something like this:

Negative:
    -My taxes are WAY higher than they used to be
    -My commute is now 12 minutes longer going home than it used to be thanks to the "cycletrack", which is something like 46 hours more a year I spend commuting.
    -When I used transit this year, it cost me more than it did before
    -Transit parking is now much more restricted since he implemented the reserve parking system. If I wanted a reserve spot, I have to go "rent" one from a transit spot pimp on Kijiji.
    -New traffic cams have now popped up on my route to work, hasn't got me yet but I am sure one day it will.

Positive:

There isn't really anything remarkable that he has accomplished as Mayor aside from being really really good at tweeting
    Pretty much exactly this.

He also turned a lane of 10th ave westbound in to a bike lane...it was backed up when there were two westbound lanes during rush hour. It's, not surprisingly, twice as bad now.

My real reason for not Voting for him though is that I'm not so sure that I agree with his vision of what it takes to make Calgary a better place.

I'm not telling anyone to vote for anyone or not vote for anyone. I just hope people actually take the time to learn what they're voting for and make an informed decision. If enough people make an informed decision and vote for the candidate that best meets their needs and Nenshi still wins then I guess democracy worked. Whether I like the results or not is really irrelevant.
    Last edited by Go4Long; 10-20-2013 at 04:11 PM.
    Originally posted by HeavyD
    you know you are making the right decision if Toma opposes it.

Originally posted by Go4Long
    He also turned a lane of 10th ave westbound in to a bike lane...it was backed up when there were two westbound lanes during rush hour. It's, not surprisingly, twice as bad now.
    Really?

Nenshi did this on his own?

If this was voted on at a council meeting, how would've he done this by himself because I suspect there are quorum rules for council meetings and if they followed these rules, then that would've meant there would've been other council members who would've had a vote as well. Impossible for Nenshi to have decided this himself.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    You Crazy

The Sun?

You mean Canada's version on fox news?

That right wing rag can go fuck itself.

My Ride
    F10M/F87/NA2/W220/V90/E46ZHP/SE3P/DC2

Originally posted by speedog

Really?

Nenshi did this on his own?

If this was voted on at a council meeting, how would've he done this by himself because I suspect there are quorum rules for council meetings and if they followed these rules, then that would've meant there would've been other council members who would've had a vote as well. Impossible for Nenshi to have decided this himself.
    Isnt that the excuse of every Nenshi supporter on every stupid fucking decision council makes? Keep in mind, Nenshi wants his previous council to remain for another term. So I'd say he does have say on those decisions made.

My Ride
    A car... beep! beep!

Originally posted by Team_Mclaren

Isnt that the excuse of every Nenshi supporter on every stupid fucking decision council makes? Keep in mind, Nenshi wants his previous council to remain for another term. So I'd say he does have say on those decisions made.
    Of course he has a say, but not the final one. I love how the Nenshi haters always throw this back in peoples faces.

The same would be said for any mayor in office.

And lol at the sun, what piece of garbage. I bet they are backing the right wing christian nut job.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

But the Sun backed Nenshi 3 years ago. What a piece of garbage.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    F10M/F87/NA2/W220/V90/E46ZHP/SE3P/DC2

Originally posted by ZEDGE

Of course he has a say, but not the final one. I love how the Nenshi haters always throw this back in peoples faces.

And lol at the sun, what piece of garbage. I bet they are backing the right wing christian nut job.
    Nenshi also wants the same council back in office. no?!

My Ride
    A car... beep! beep!

Originally posted by Team_Mclaren

Nenshi also wants the same council back in office. no?!
    Whats wrong with that? Of course they are not all going to agree on everything, if that was the case then why have a city council.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

-My taxes are WAY higher than they used to be
    I've heard you say this in every thread about Nenshi, however don't you think maybe tax rates are only part of the reason your taxes are "way" higher? Like maybe your neighborhood is developing?

Mine are definitely more than when I first moved, but then it's also more than doubled in value, yet my actual bill is only 37% higher then my first one.

Also at the whole thread.

You guys act like Sun readers actually vote.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    Silverado, G37x

I'm tired of hearing this. All I hear from most Nenshi supporters is how everything good (like what?) was him and anything bad that happens was the rest of the council. Face it, as mayor he's the face of the council, he wants to take credit for everything he can take some blame too. It's not like he's distanced himself from the decisions that get criticised.

Plus 1 for laughing at the sun though. Trash.

My Ride
    Silverado, G37x

Whats wrong with that? Of course they are not all going to agree on everything, if that was the case then why have a city council.
    What's wrong with that is people saying that some decisions weren't Nenshi they were the rest of the council. Then he supports the same council.

So he can support the council but isn't allowed to be held accountable for the decisions they make?

My Ride
    A car... beep! beep!

Originally posted by btimbit

What's wrong with that is people saying that some decisions weren't Nenshi they were the rest of the council. Then he supports the same council.

So he can support the council but isn't allowed to be held accountable for the decisions they make?
    What should he do? And why exactly is he accountable for these decisions? Are the council members not voting for the interests of the people in their ward?

Perhaps he should still apologize though..

"I'm sorry that democracy took place and the council voted on something I don't agree with, I shall head to the nearest mosque for 50 lashes".

I dont get what you want out of him with this regard. Is he doing something illegal or wrong?
    Last edited by ZEDGE; 10-20-2013 at 06:11 PM.

My Ride
    Silverado, G37x

What should he do? And why exactly is he accountable for these decisions? Are the council members not voting for the interests of the people in their ward?

Perhaps he should still apologize though..

"I'm sorry that democracy took place and the council voted on something I don't agree with, I shall head to the nearest mosque for 50 lashes".

I dont get what you want out of him with this regard. Is he doing something illegal or wrong?
    You're missing my point. I'm not saying he did anything wrong in this regard, I'm talking about some of his blind supporters. They're allowed to give him credit for stuff he had nothing to do with, but can't take the blame for ANYTHING .

Part of his job as mayor is to be the face of the council. So why can't he be held accountable for anything? This is against his supporters more than him specifically, but it's something that irritates me to no end. What makes him so untouchable?

My Ride
    A car... beep! beep!

Originally posted by btimbit

You're missing my point. I'm not saying he did anything wrong in this regard, I'm talking about some of his blind supporters. They're allowed to give him credit for stuff he had nothing to do with, but can't take the blame for ANYTHING .

Part of his job as mayor is to be the face of the council. So why can't he be held accountable for anything? This is against his supporters more than him specifically, but it's something that irritates me to no end. What makes him so untouchable?
    If he himself did something wrong then I agree. And he should not be untouchable. The things people seem to get upset over like bike lanes and light poles were not his doing. And even if they were, was something wrong done? Were they illegally built? If the alderman in your ward, or the mayor is voting on projects you don't agree with then don't vote for them. However, there must be those that are supporting them to put these ideas forward and have them become reality. There seems to be a pretty small minority getting upset over most of these things.
    Last edited by ZEDGE; 10-20-2013 at 06:36 PM.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

hold on a sec.

If Nenshi is just one vote, why do we even have a mayor?

Why not just a council?
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast