Quantcast
Good set of Kitchen Knives - Suggestions? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Good set of Kitchen Knives - Suggestions?

My Ride
    Edge Sport, F-150 EcoBoost

Default Good set of Kitchen Knives - Suggestions?

Good morning all, I'm looking into a good set of kitchen knives. Just wondering what you may come across available locally?

Not wanting to spend ridiculous amounts of money, but I don't mind investing in a high quality set that will last forever.

What have you had good luck with?

Cutco? Henkel? Kuradori?
    freshprince
    -Jan 2006-

My Ride
    Exploded.

You don't need a good 'set'. You just need one or two knives, really.

- A chef's knife
    - A cleaver

I'd check out Knifewear in Inglewood for a chef's knife and just buy a cheap, heavy duty cleaver from T&T or Lucky's and get it sharpened through them.

Definitely not cutco.

My Ride
    oooo

I can say that the sharpest best knives I've ever used were in XL Brooks meat plant. They are not expensive and you can get them any industrial wholesalers (Russel food equipment, Hendrix etc.)

I have a set of really nice Wusthof knives and I never ever use them. I use the $20.00 commercial knives everytime.

they are ugly, but the difference is that knives for residential use are stainless steel and they do not hold an edge very well, surgical steel is easier to sharpen and holds it's edge nicely.

The catch... no dishwasher because they will rust. You need to hand wash them and oil them before putting them away.

Unless you are doing delicate work as a sushi chef you do not need a fancy knife. You want something that is easily sharpened and holds an edge well.

Also keep in mind $2.00 knife sharpening on Tuesday at Hendrix. every 6 months I drop off all our kitchen knives there.
    2017 VW Jetta 1.4T (winter car)
    2010 F-350 Nortruck Tool Shed
    2007 BMW 5 (Wifey's)
    2004 Audi A4 1.8T 6spd Stage III w/ Meth
    1985 F-250 6.9L IDI w/ATS turbo

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Agreed, you don't want a "set" of knives. You want two or three knives of good quality.

For me, I find cheap wal-mart bread knives to be a good as more expensive ones. Same deal for paring knives. Don't spend much here. Spend $30 at wal-mart on those two, and them buy a really good chef's knife or santoku.
    For Cleaver, it's not high-end, but I really like my Lee Valley - Chinese Cleaver . Only costs $20, but it's decent quality steel, and it holds an edge well enough for my use. Nicely weighted.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

since you dropped Henkel, you can pick up a "cheaper" set at bed bath and beyond.

I went to chinook Williams Sonoma and tried out a bunch of sets for weight, feel and look. Settled on the wustoff ikon set. As long as you keep any of the "higher" end knives sharpened, you shouldn't ever have a problem. (they'll usually throw in a free knife sharpener)

I'd recommend trying out a knife set before you buy.
    Williams sonoma was good about taking them out of the case and testing a bunch. So start there.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Paid $185 for these back in May and have been happy. I don't need anything fancy right now and they sharpen up nicely.

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B005...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My Ride
    Edge Sport, F-150 EcoBoost

Thanks for the tips.

And thanks to the mods for moving this thread over here....I'm a bit rusty.
    freshprince
    -Jan 2006-

My advice is go to Knifewear, and pick up 1-3 Japanese knives. They will be better than just about anything else, and you don't need a full block - a Santoku can do almost anything, then add maybe a paring knife and maybe a carving knife, whatever your preference. I just have the 1 Santoku, and it works for almost everything.

The knife I have from there is ridiculous. 3 other people have gone out and bought it after trying it. WAY sharper than anything I have ever used, and holds it's edge like crazy. It will slice all the way through a tomato with just the weight of the knife. Most of them are like that there, you can try them out. He has his own brand of knives now too, made to his spec in Japan - I would look at those too.

If you need steak knives for guests, just pick up a cheap set of Henkels when they go on sale, or similar.

Just visit Knifewear, and I suspect after learning about them and trying those knives, you'll never buy a "normal" store brand again. Plus it's cool to have a knife handmade by a swordsmith in Japan haha.

My Ride
    Nissan 200SX

Originally posted by flipstah
    You don't need a good 'set'. You just need one or two knives, really.

- A chef's knife
    - A cleaver

I'd check out Knifewear in Inglewood for a chef's knife and just buy a cheap, heavy duty cleaver from T&T or Lucky's and get it sharpened through them.
    I don't know. I thought this way too before picking up my ultra cheap Walmart complete set and I was really surprised how much I used all the knives.

If you are willing to take care of your knives, most cheap sets will serve you just fine. I would love a nice $300.00 + small set... but in all honesty, my $40 on sale special complete set from Walmart has lasted me the last two years just fine.

Don't put them in the dishwasher, clean them after every use (don't let them sit while you eat and drink and laugh) and sharpen them regularly... good to go.

That all being said, I'm no chef... I cook simple meals that require very little in the way of meat preparation... and I almost never use a cleaver.
    Last edited by Tram Common; 10-22-2013 at 10:59 AM.

Remember if you are buying a traditional Japanese chef knife, they come in L and R. Use the wrong one and you'll know it, better have 911 on speed dial.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

I have 3 knives and only use two: Chef's Knife and Paring Knife. Some of the Shun knives are pretty good. I was given Ice Bear knives which are some Japanese rebrand with the VG-10 core. They've worked well and remained very sharp, but how they compare to others I'm not entirely sure.

Don, how often do you use your clever? I can't think of an instance yet where I wish I had one.
    Ultracrepidarian

Shun is at the "bottom end" of anything Kinfewear sells, at least that's what they told me when I was in there.

It's a pretty good knife that is marked up a lot and sold at places like Williams Sonoma. You can buy the same or better quality for less money in other brands you've probably never heard of at Knifewear. Nothing wrong with Shun, it's just overpriced (so I am told, based on construction process, steel, etc.).

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

They have different levels from what I remember, it's been awhile since I was researching knives.

Quality Japanese knives are the way to go though, it's a lifetime investment that will make your life so much easier if you enjoy cooking. Mine are top or probably even mid-level but they're so much better than any knife set offered.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Exploded.

Originally posted by msommers
    I have 3 knives and only use two: Chef's Knife and Paring Knife. Some of the Shun knives are pretty good. I was given Ice Bear knives which are some Japanese rebrand with the VG-10 core. They've worked well and remained very sharp, but how they compare to others I'm not entirely sure.

Don, how often do you use your clever? I can't think of an instance yet where I wish I had one.
    I primarily use my cleaver for everything, especially if I'm hacking into chicken and need to cut through bone.

I use it to chop, mince, slice, tenderize... I don't pull out anything else, really. I don't do deboning/filleting so I don't need a pointed tip or flexible steel.

My dad is the one that uses the chef's knife because he wanted one for his birthday.

My Ride
    2006 speed6

I'll second the Wusthof Ikon recommendation! They occasionally go on sale at Crate and Barrel, so keep an eye out if you're interested.

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    You can buy the same or better quality for less money in other brands you've probably never heard of at Knifewear. Nothing wrong with Shun, it's just overpriced (so I am told, based on construction process, steel, etc.).
    I am in with mitsu.

If you're really looking into investing for knives this is what I recommend. The folks at Knifewear will hook you up and if you purchase all the knives I'm sure if you ask for a deal he or she may cut you in as an independently owned shop.

If you're serious this is what you need for a home cook (As per Thomas Keller's Ad hoc at home):

Honing stone (they'll throw this in if you buy all knives)
    Good chef's knife - all purpose you'll use this for almost everything
    Fillet Knife (flexible, tapered) - great for fish, and deboning especially if you do your own butchering
    Pairing knife - peeling and fine dices on shallots. Easier for kids to use due to the size.

Cleaver - you can get a generic one from TnT. Reserved for cutting through bones etc.

Slicing Knife (longer) - great for meats, in my opinion this isn't a must (he lists it in the book)
    Luxuries - Santoku

My Ride
    fiat abarth

both shun and wusthof are basically made by the same principles. mass manufacturing, a knife geometry that has mass/ general appeal (so its easy to use with any technique, but bad at doing a specific cut well), and an overly thick blade for most kitchen cutting (ie overbuild, so no blade failure, but poor performance). And there is really nothing wrong with those, but they are just more show than go.

But really you can make any blade cut well if you have a good sharpening system, on the most basic level, good knives just stretch out the time you need before the next sharpening.

I would suggest going to knifewear and checking out some blades. If you are the type to internet shop then

$7 shipping from japan, hard to beat for value on some blades
    http://japanesechefsknife.com/

canadian option, wusthofs are on there as well
    http://www.paulsfinest.com/

american site with alot of knives at good deal (ie american pricing lol)
    http://www.chefknivestogo.com/

More service oriented knife stores
    https://toshoknifearts.com/
    http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/
    http://www.knifewear.com/

and there are some custom makers too if you want to get crazy they charge about $40 to $100+ per inch of knife
    http://www.cartercutlery.com/
    http://www.rodrigueknives.com/
    http://www.devinthomas.com/
    Last edited by bcylau; 10-22-2013 at 02:44 PM.

My Ride
    17 M3 ZCP + 18 X3M40

I get my knives from here:
    http://korin.com/

I have picked up a couple of blades from Togiharu that I am in love with. I had tested various blades from Shun, Wusthof, Henckles, etc but really felt comfortable with the knives I picked up.

I have a set of "one man" Henckles which I use for every day stuff. The Togiharu are far superior but in a different price range of course.

Occasionally they have a 15% off sale.

Their customer service is unreal and although I am local here in NYC they do say they ship worldwide. The only drawback would be not being able to try the knives before you actually buy them. Which I would definitely suggest you do as that completely changed my purchase.
    Last edited by Red@8; 10-23-2013 at 05:44 AM.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Have a look at these brands, most used by Elite Chef's around the world.

http://korin.com/

Akifusa Asai Aogami
    http://bernalcutlery.com/shop/catego...apanese-knives

I use three knives more then anything, a Santoku, a paring knife & a clever.

Thats is.
    Last edited by 89coupe; 10-23-2013 at 09:14 AM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast