Quantcast
Smolov and Smolov Jr - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Smolov and Smolov Jr

My Ride
    UCF20/R35

Default Smolov and Smolov Jr

Just wanted to hear peoples experience or opinions on this program.

For those not familiar here is some background on

Smolov:

-13 week squat cycle
    -Mon, Weds, Fri and Sat
    -Improvement of 50-100lbs on squat
    http://www.seriouspowerlifting.com/3...-squat-routine

Smolov JR:

-3 week squat cycle
    -Mon, Weds, Fri and Sat
    http://www.seriouspowerlifting.com/2...cles/smolov-jr

At the moment 405 is a very comfortable one rep max. Last week I did try a first day of Smolov JR 6x6 @70% which was 283.5 felt pretty good overall.

Did some other variations too such as this 355 for 5

Should be starting Smolov JR Nov 4, depending on how that goes I will start the 13 week Smolov in December, thanks I'd like to hear your guys thoughts on this

Originally posted by rage2
    Can someone who speaks brown please translate this for me please?

It's devastating. I've done Smolov JR for benchpress and Smolov for squats... All I can say is it takes a lot of willpower and dedication. Make sure your 1RM is 100% accurate and your going to have a hell of a time.

It took my bench from 290 to 315, and my squat from 365 to 425..

I was very happy with the gains, but all I can say is that you're other workouts are going to suck ass. It's exhausting completing the sets.

TLDR; its fucking tough shit, but if you can power through it, giver hell and you'll come out on top.

Cheers

My Ride
    UCF20/R35

Originally posted by AudiPWR
    It's devastating. I've done Smolov JR for benchpress and Smolov for squats... All I can say is it takes a lot of willpower and dedication. Make sure your 1RM is 100% accurate and your going to have a hell of a time.

I was very happy with the gains, but all I can say is that you're other workouts are going to suck ass. It's exhausting completing the sets.

TLDR; its fucking tough shit, but if you can power through it, giver hell and you'll come out on top.

Cheers
    Thanks for the info, was your calorie intake fairly high when you were doing smolov for squats?

My Ride
    TypeR

This program looks like it would be pretty intense. So does all your other lifts go into maintenance mode?
    IG:scboss

My Ride
    UCF20/R35

Originally posted by warcaster
    This program looks like it would be pretty intense. So does all your other lifts go into maintenance mode?
    Basically it says that on off days if you can handle it you can incorporate chest/back and such only thing is no deadlifts at all. I will try and still do those other lifts at a reasonable maximum and see how my body responds while doing Smolov

My Ride
    Subaru GR

Originally posted by AudiPWR

Cheers
    Those are great gains I might do the same, ie. chest/squats.
    Psalm 144(1): Blessed be the Lord my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.

My Ride
    TypeR

Originally posted by shadowz

Basically it says that on off days if you can handle it you can incorporate chest/back and such only thing is no deadlifts at all. I will try and still do those other lifts at a reasonable maximum and see how my body responds while doing Smolov
    Maxing out my deadlifts and bench to prep for this program. Something tells me its gonna whip my ass worse then anything ive ever done

My Ride
    UCF20/R35

Maxing out my deadlifts and bench to prep for this program. Something tells me its gonna whip my ass worse then anything ive ever done
    Just finished the three weeks on Saturday, didn't give myself much time to recover. But I was able to go from 405 1RM, to a confident and low 440.

My friend also added 42 lbs to his overall 1RM.

Doing this over and over my form had improved significantly, strength and endurance are through the roof. Because of this on Saturday I will aim for 315 for 20 reps.

Also I will be starting the 13 week Smolov program in 2 weeks

My Ride
    TypeR

Originally posted by shadowz

Just finished the three weeks on Saturday, didn't give myself much time to recover. But I was able to go from 405 1RM, to a confident and low 440.

My friend also added 42 lbs to his overall 1RM.

Doing this over and over my form had improved significantly, strength and endurance are through the roof. Because of this on Saturday I will aim for 315 for 20 reps.

Also I will be starting the 13 week Smolov program in 2 weeks
    yeah im gonna do the 13 week one starting jan 6th. Right now I can 1rm 315 confidently and around 355 with a spot. Wanna hit that 405!!

My Ride
    UCF20/R35

yeah im gonna do the 13 week one starting jan 6th. Right now I can 1rm 315 confidently and around 355 with a spot. Wanna hit that 405!!
    You'll get there, just after doing JR it has boosted my squatting without spot either. And out of all the reps and sets I had never hit failure either

My Ride
    Celica GT-Four

You didn't even squat past parallel. Its Ass to Grass or it just doesn't count.

My Ride
    Celica GT-Four

Also

My Ride
    UCF20/R35

Originally posted by Milk2%
    You didn't even squat past parallel. Its Ass to Grass or it just doesn't count.
    Well sir that was my first week of doing low bar squats ever, my mobility nor form were on point at that time.

And I'm sure you know when low bar position you cannot go "ass to grass" without having your lower back round. Please educate before talking nonsense

Last edited by shadowz; 03-25-2014 at 09:21 AM.

My Ride
    Celica GT-Four

More years of education then you can imagine! You're not getting full depth one way or another, or you just says its cause its low bar position. Seen more then my fair share of people get lower then that easily.
    You can even see your fighting against getting lower. Think of all the real gains you can get if you target the full range of motion

My Ride
    2013 Scion FR-S

Revives a 4 month old thread to troll. Must be an armchair athlete.

On a more relevant note: Are you still doing the 13 week program? How are you finding it?

My Ride
    Celica GT-Four

Originally posted by Phl0xed

On a more relevant note: Are you still doing the 13 week program? How are you finding it?
    More of an Athlete then you'll ever amount to. In a wheel chair....or on my legs.

revive old threads cause the past 4 months i've had a life not troll these forums daily. Get it right

My Ride
    UCF20/R35

Originally posted by Milk2%
    More years of education then you can imagine! You're not getting full depth one way or another, or you just says its cause its low bar position. Seen more then my fair share of people get lower then that easily.
    You can even see your fighting against getting lower. Think of all the real gains you can get if you target the full range of motion
    I'm not here to argue with you, as mentioned that was the first time I had worked with the bar on my delts coming from a high bar position, did not have the correct mobility in my hips to draw back far enough without having my lower back round. A lot has changed in 19 weeks or so since I had uploaded that video.

Someone with years of education should chime in on mobility and form improvement such as foam rolling, hip opening exercises. Be positive, giving someone feedback like

"You didn't even squat past parallel. Its Ass to Grass or it just doesn't count."

Is pretty useless. Why not chime in and share your knowledge. I don't even take this as a personal attack, but I feel you could approach things in a different light.

Let's use this thread for constructive comments for myself, yourself and anyone else squatting.

Here's one that I will start with:

Stretching your calves/ankles are usually ignored when preparing prior to your lifts. I highly recommend anyone to add this to your pre lifting warmup/stretch.

Originally posted by Phl0xed

Yes I actually just finished, it was great, did not touch any other accessory work and my bench and deadlift have gone up.
    Last edited by shadowz; 03-25-2014 at 09:46 AM.

My Ride
    Celica GT-Four

I'm sorry didn't mean to offend in anyway I just saw you weren't going all the way down. A strong muscle is a long relaxed muscle, ditch that low bar cause powerlifting is almost as dumb as cross fit.

Stick highbar and get full depth, suggest working lighter weight and making sure you get 100% depth before hammering more weight.
    You'll get much stronger once you notice your past parallel and you start using glutes and hams way more. Squatting is a natural position

foam rolling is a joke I haven't bought into it. I'll do it when I'm around chicks.

Most important next to the lifting and proper form is proper warm ups. Dynamic stretching
    Small amount of static stretching
    5-10 mins on the bike and a really good bar warm up
    Cool down on bike 5-10. try and flush lactic build ups out

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Bulgarian split squats FTW.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Celica GT-Four

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    Bulgarian split squats FTW.
    daily

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast