Quantcast
how much is known about computers?? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: how much is known about computers??

My Ride
    changes daily :D

Default how much is known about computers??

ok, i have a prob with my computer, and i was wondering if anyone knows how to fix it....when i try to burn a cd, the program says "please insert a cd into the cd drive". there is always a blank cd in there, but it doesn't seem to read it. is there anything that i can do to fix this, or do i have to get a new burner?? or is there someone who can fix it??

edit* any help is very much appreciated edit*

My Ride
    09 WRX Hatchback / 72 240z

reinstall the program or u have used disks....

My Ride
    ACR/EG/FJZ80/DC4/DC2/22RE

Might want to change the title.

Just as an oversight would you be trying to store more data than the capacity of the disc?

My Ride

hmmm...well right now we are using Nero, and i downloaded Adaptec Easy CD Creator, but both said the same shit...oh and speedracer, i have tried burning everything from 17 songs to even 1 song, says the same shit...

My Ride
    09 WRX Hatchback / 72 240z

sony cd extreme, is what i use....can't go wrong with the xtreme!

My Ride

yeah but it doesn't matter what program i am using, it seems my burner can't read any cd's....

My Ride
    ACR/EG/FJZ80/DC4/DC2/22RE

Is the CDrom Primary?

Has it worked before?

Other than that it does seem like DOA.

My Ride
    06 RX8 SE

well go to my computer and does a cd actually exist there? beside the c: and a:

then try to put in another Cd and see if it auto loads ( like light flashing and even program load up if its a program disk).. if no light flash or wat not then the power is either disconnected or the thing is broken.... or the CD rom is not even detected by window * if its not in my computer*.. if its just when u try to burn CD then.. could be the program..?

i think the person who knows the MOST about computer on this forum is Fat Dave

My Ride
    a nice pair of and1's

your laser might be burnt out, that's what happened to mine when it went kaput

My Ride
    335i

Do you have a creative CD-R? Mine does the same thing from time to time. Just reboot and it should work.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

lammer Guest

i have nero, nothings wrong with mine.

That happened to me a long time ago, I switched brands of CD-R and it solved the problem. Don't remember which brand I was using, though i think it was all blank on both sides.

hope it helps

My Ride

well, my computer does recognize that there is a cd drive in *my computer*, and it still doesn't recognize any cd's. i put a music cd in, and it still doesn't read it. oh and the blank cd's that i am using are memorex cd-r 700mb 80 mins. i have tried rebooting my computer and stuff but nothing seems to help. now if my laser went kaput or anything, can just that be fixed?? or do i have to get an intire new drive??

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

yeah i think ur drive's trashed. happened to me too except it wasnt my burner.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

its really expensive to fix the laser, meaning its not worth it, meaning you should go buy another one.

If its under warranty still you can have them take a look.

My Ride
    06 RX8 SE

yeh looks like the laser is busted... its expensive to get it fix.. might as well go pick up a new one if its not under warranty .. 99.99 for a Lithon 40X burner aint too bad

My Ride
    08 BMW 328i, 03 Turbo SVT Focus

Is it just the one cd you've tried? it's not an rw disk, is it?

My Ride
    a nice pair of and1's

sounds like it's your laser, it's not worth getting that thing fixed CDRW drives are pretty cheap nowadays anyways, it costs more than the price of a new CDRW drive to get the laser fixed, you're better off picking up a new drive

Hey everyone, this is my first post here, but some of you may know me. Anyways I am a computer technician, so let me take a stab at this problem.

Hopefully you are using Win 98 or above, or else you may require a bit more help than what I can give you over this forum.

The first thing that you should do to physically test the drive is to check for power, this indicates that the board and circuitry inside is still mostly functional. Since you are able to open the drive, I am assuming there is power.

Secondly, take a working music CD that has been professionally made, and put it in the drive. Listen to hear if the cd is spinning. If acceptable (not screetchy or clanky noise) can be heard from within this is good too.

If the CD plays, the problem could lie in your media (the cd's that you are burning) as if the music is playing, this will determine if the laser is pootched or not. Since you have mentioned that you have changed your software, this eliminates this problem from the equation.

The last thing to try before getting a new drive, is to reinstall the component.

This involves physically disabling and removing the CDRW drive from the device manager in Control panel's System icon. Once you have completely removed this profile, go into "Add Remove programs" and remove any software or drivers that may have to do with the burner or the software for burning.

Once this is complete, restart your system.

Your system should detect the new component, and load the applicable drivers Win 2000 and above, or you may be prompted for the driver/software disk. Re-install all drivers and software for burning and try again.

If all else fails, a new CDRW 48x12x48 Liteon will cost roughly $120 retail.

Some important things to remember if using Windows XP

Version 4 and lower of Adaptec software may not work and cause incompatibility.
    Version 5.1 or lower of Nero Burning ROM may not work and cause incompatibility.
    Your CDRW may not even have the correct drivers available to run under Windows XP if it is a very old burner, but this is unlikely.

Feel free to E-mail me if you need any more help.

David