Quantcast
OFFICIAL: 2013-2014 NBA Thread - Page 7 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: OFFICIAL: 2013-2014 NBA Thread

My Ride
    Has wheels

Originally posted by supe
    I have an opportunity to watch the wizards and bulls play, I'm not a basketball fan and know nothing about these teams, should I go to one of these games?
    Where would you be sitting? Are you a sports guy?

I've had the opportunity to watch pro basketball, hockey, baseball and football. Basketball is my favorite sport by far but I think watching basketball live is the most enjoyable as well.

You'd get to watch the defensive player of the year in Joakim Noah(Bulls) and an exciting backcourt in John Wall & Bradley Beal(Wizards).

Guys are big and athletic, the game is fast paced and there is lots to watch.

I don't think you could go wrong in taking in profession sports live.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Originally posted by supe
    I have an opportunity to watch the wizards and bulls play, I'm not a basketball fan and know nothing about these teams, should I go to one of these games?
    Bring a female fan and you're golden.

My Ride
    Has wheels

Jesus H Christ, the Raptors are going to give me a heart attack! Didn't deserve to win the game with 21 turnovers but I'm happy they pulled out the W anyways.

Another big game by JV 15pts 14rbs, DeRozan showed up this game even though the Nets went at him hard on the offensive end. Not a great shooting percentage but still got the job done. Ross was no where to be found and Lowry had a crappy shooting game but came up big a few times on both ends of the floor. Patterson and Fields off the bench were huge, Fields was able to slow down Joe Johnson.

If the Raps can clean up their game, they should win this series. They are beating themselves more than Brooklyn is.

Didn't really watch much of the Hawks/Pacers game but it seems as though the Pacers showed up tonight taking the win.

Seems like we have a game in Chicago right now too.

Man I love the playoffs.
    Last edited by brucebanner; 04-22-2014 at 08:41 PM.

My Ride
    2015 honda crv 2015 subaru sti sport

Yeah man! I'm pretty sure I had one or two in that last quarter haha
    Last edited by 4doorj; 04-22-2014 at 09:55 PM.

Anything more boring than the last 5 minutes of an NBA game?

My Ride
    A Pearl Diamond

Originally posted by lasimmon
    Maybe if you don't truely enjoy basketball. The last few mins of a game is usually slowed down if its a close game but if I'm watching two really good teams it could get exciting as it comes down to anyone missing a free throw etc.

Did the Raps just win the whole championship? Could have fooled me with all that confetti ?

Are there any bars/restaurants that play NBA playoffs with sound locally?

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Originally posted by lasimmon

Originally posted by 2.2vtec

Maybe if you don't truely enjoy basketball. The last few mins of a game is usually slowed down if its a close game but if I'm watching two really good teams it could get exciting as it comes down to anyone missing a free throw etc.
    Nope. I feel the same way as lasimmon. The NBA has too many timeouts and it can get soul crushingly boring. I don't know if I've said it on Beyond but I know I've brought it up before; I want to see one of two things happen:
    1) Reduce the number of timeouts
    2) Eliminate the ability to inbound the ball into the backcourt

1) will never happen because it means less ad revenue.
    2) is the realistic option. Plus, it bugs me to watch an inbounds play be either run sloppily by the offense or played perfectly by the defense, only to get bailed out by a deep pass into the backcourt that forces the defender to back off rather than give up a 5-on-4 situation should he miss. If you're getting paid to play the game professionally and that is what you practice all the time, you better be able to execute an inbounds play. It may happen eventually since the rule is in the FIBA book, and the NBA and FIBA have been slowly merging their rules together.

Originally posted by tomt64
    Are there any bars/restaurants that play NBA playoffs with sound locally?
    Not while there's hockey going on. So, never.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    Has wheels

Originally posted by 2.2vtec

Originally posted by sexualbanana
    Nope. I feel the same way as lasimmon. The NBA has too many timeouts and it can get soul crushingly boring. I don't know if I've said it on Beyond but I know I've brought it up before; I want to see one of two things happen:
    1) Reduce the number of timeouts
    2) Eliminate the ability to inbound the ball into the backcourt

1) will never happen because it means less ad revenue.
    2) is the realistic option. Plus, it bugs me to watch an inbounds play be either run sloppily by the offense or played perfectly by the defense, only to get bailed out by a deep pass into the backcourt that forces the defender to back off rather than give up a 5-on-4 situation should he miss. If you're getting paid to play the game professionally and that is what you practice all the time, you better be able to execute an inbounds play. It may happen eventually since the rule is in the FIBA book, and the NBA and FIBA have been slowly merging their rules together.
    I agree with both of you, I like the strategic part of the coaches, it comes down to who can execute a strategy better as a team. I don't like the amount of time it can take but I understand it.

Agree 100% about the inbounds though, shouldn't be able to have a bailout, rewards offense, not the well played defense.

Edit: Didn't get to watch the Raps game last night but WTF? Closed a big gap, Patterson couldn't hit free throws, gave away another game from what I gathered from watching highlights.
    Last edited by brucebanner; 04-26-2014 at 08:34 AM.

Not a huge follower of NBA but watching the Toronto/BK game compared to the rest of the playoffs and is it a correct assumption that the winner will get killed going into the next round? They are playing some ugly basketball right?

I like it when the last few seconds of a close game takes like 20 minutes to play out. It amps up the anticipation and plays up the drama. Psyches out the players too which is why they call timeouts in between big free throws.

Originally posted by eiysa101
    Not a huge follower of NBA but watching the Toronto/BK game compared to the rest of the playoffs and is it a correct assumption that the winner will get killed going into the next round? They are playing some ugly basketball right?

I wouldn't say that, both teams have a very good shot against Miami in the next round. The reason this series might appear "ugly" is that both teams are HUGE on the interior making it very tough/gritty ball. When you have amir/vallen and lopez/kg etc etc clogging up the lanes all the time that is a lot of size

Miami doesn't play the low post game, so the victory for them will always rely in fast break points and outside shooting

Not sure how many on the board follow NBA regularly, but this has definitely been one of the largest issues I have ever witnessed

Sterling fined $2.5 mil and life time ban, with Silver urging owners to veto him out and sell off... what a dumbass

http://www.nba.com/2014/news/04/29/n...s=iref:nbahpts

Originally posted by colinxx235
    Not sure how many on the board follow NBA regularly, but this has definitely been one of the largest issues I have ever witnessed

Sterling fined $2.5 mil and life time ban, with Silver urging owners to veto him out and sell off... what a dumbass

http://www.nba.com/2014/news/04/29/n...s=iref:nbahpts
    Pretty crazy.

I didn't think they had a legal way to force him to sell the team, but it must be part of the NBA bylaws. Just need 3/4 of the BoG to force him to sell his stake.

I was expecting them to fine him and he would just agree to not come to games and turn over all operations. Part of me think it's pretty harsh given it was a private conversation, but the league just can't appear to condone it in any way given the % of black players/personnel.
    Last edited by anarchy; 04-29-2014 at 01:32 PM.

My Ride
    '11 Titan/01 RC51

i've been following it fairly closely.

i can't recall the article but i read somewhere this morning that his initial purchase of the clippers was something like 15mil in the 1980's and it's now valued at 700mill in its current state..

My Ride
    NC1

Not surprised but a bit surprised. Dude is an idiot.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

Totally agree with Kareem. This story is just as much about left wing media as it is about a racist billionaire. Imagine if your gf made tapes of you during an angry rant and sent it to everyone you worked with.

What bothers me about this whole Donald Sterling affair isn’t just his racism. I’m bothered that everyone acts as if it’s a huge surprise. Now there’s all this dramatic and very public rending of clothing about whether they should keep their expensive Clippers season tickets. Really? All this other stuff I listed above has been going on for years and this ridiculous conversation with his girlfriend is what puts you over the edge? That’s the smoking gun?

He was discriminating against black and Hispanic families for years, preventing them from getting housing. It was public record. We did nothing. Suddenly he says he doesn’t want his girlfriend posing with Magic Johnson on Instagram and we bring out the torches and rope. Shouldn’t we have all called for his resignation back then?

Shouldn’t we be equally angered by the fact that his private, intimate conversation was taped and then leaked to the media? Didn’t we just call to task the NSA for intruding into American citizen’s privacy in such an un-American way? Although the impact is similar to Mitt Romney’s comments that were secretly taped, the difference is that Romney was giving a public speech. The making and release of this tape is so sleazy that just listening to it makes me feel like an accomplice to the crime. We didn’t steal the cake but we’re all gorging ourselves on it.

Originally posted by anarchy

Pretty crazy.

I didn't think they had a legal way to force him to sell the team, but it must be part of the NBA bylaws. Just need 3/4 of the BoG to force him to sell his stake.

I was expecting them to fine him and he would just agree to not come to games and turn over all operations. Part of me think it's pretty harsh given it was a private conversation, but the league just can't appear to condone it in any way given the % of black players/personnel.

I think Cuban is so far the only person who isn't a fan of the veto/forcing ownership hand, not that he condones what Sterling said. He is just worried about the power that could be given to remove owners or abuse.

But in this instant most will view it as detrimental conduct to the NBA and all associated markets etc.
    Silver doesn't and should never have the power to revoke ownership but in this case you only have a few scenarios to play out.

If he isn't removed the players/nba would find a way to release players from all contracts (whether through claiming a racist work environment or w/e)
    At which point he would most likely lose all key players, devaluing the team, ticket sales, etc etc. Costing him hundreds of millions.

Only other option is to sell before VETO'd and get max value for the team before the backlash from fans, sponsors, etc becomes too costly

From Mark Cuban's twitter:

"I agree 100% with Commissioner Silvers findings and the actions taken against Donald Sterling
    12:19 PM - 29 Apr 2014
    "

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 ... LastLast