Quantcast
AB looking to toughen distracted driving penalties - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: AB looking to toughen distracted driving penalties

Default AB looking to toughen distracted driving penalties

Province looking to toughen stance on distracted driving - link to story.

They say they'll stop short of seizing vehicles so 5-6 demerits instead?
    Will fuck off, again.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-22-2019 at 10:45 AM.

My Ride
    Depends on the day

Because the current laws are working so well. Having people looking at their "crotch" instead of their phone is much safer. Cash grab

I'd be fine with this if they only pulled over drivers that were actually causing problems. Drifting into the next lane, not realizing the light is green, running stop signs, etc.

But nope, you get a ticket if you check to see if you got a text while waiting for a train to pass. Nobody deserves to be punished for that.

EDIT: I just realized that all of my examples are already illegal. What the fuck is the purpose of this law again? To save us from ourselves?

My Ride
    Depends on the day

or changing songs at a light

My Ride
    '05 Wrx stage 2

Originally posted by Mibz
    I'd be fine with this if they only pulled over drivers that were actually causing problems. Drifting into the next lane, not realizing the light is green, running stop signs, etc.

But nope, you get a ticket if you check to see if you got a text while waiting for a train to pass. Nobody deserves to be punished for that.

EDIT: I just realized that all of my examples are already illegal. What the fuck is the purpose of this law again? To save us from ourselves?
    Agreed. What often seems lost on police is discretion and enforcing the 'spirit of the law'. We all know changing the radio station at a red light is not dangerous, so when they hand out chicken shit tickets for this, it leaves a bad taste in people's mouths. Go after the people causing danger.

My Ride
    8P 3.2

I completely agree with this. I'm sorry but I have almost been run over by minivans and, in particular, Acura SUVs while crossing with a walk sign. Almost every week. And every time the driver is on their damn phone.

I don't like the opportunistic tickets people get for looking at their phone at a light or by simply touching their GPS. But they have never setup "traps" for it. I'm all for a cop in a trap looking for people on their phone. Nail them, demerit them. Fuck. Them. Up.

I like the law because it addresses distracted driving before it happens rather than dealing with it after the fact. IE I don't want a twat to have to veer into a lane or run over a pedestrian before they can be charged. Its the same with DUIs. Should a drunk driver be let off if he never actually veered into a lane? No. He was drunk. Shit hits the fan and he has to pull an avoidance maneuver he can't execute it. That's why he gets nailed at a check stop (when they run them).

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-22-2019 at 10:45 AM.

My Ride
    S54 M Coupe

I'm all for ticketing people who are actually causing a problem on the road.

This legislation doesn't do that. There should be no punishment for what COULD happen. There should be a punishment for what DID. If you're texting and veering between lanes, then yes, distracted driving ticket and a fail to remain in your lane ticket. If I'm on the Yellowhead heading to Jasper and not causing a problem, then you can shove your ticket up your ass because I can text and drive in a straight line on the highway.

There's already laws on the books for stiff fines for this: Careless driving. It's up to the damn judges to apply it.

My Ride
    S54 M Coupe

Originally posted by cherpintow

We all know changing the radio station at a red light is not dangerous,
    Just for sake's sake, it's not illegal either.

Originally posted by frizzlefry
    Its the same with DUIs. Should a drunk driver be let off if he never actually veered into a lane? No. He was drunk. Shit hits the fan and he has to pull an avoidance maneuver he can't execute it. That's why he gets nailed at a check stop (when they run them).
    I hadn't considered that. I guess it's one of those slippery slopes. The same justification could be made for just about any behaviour that increases the likelihood of a collision. Ban pedestrians from wearing dark clothing at night :P

I'll have to put more thought into it, but right now I'm still opposed to this.

My Ride
    Acura RSX Premium

generally when i stop at an intersection i look to see if there are cops beside me or in any other intersections before i check my phone...

anyone who gets nailed with a distracted driving ticket generally deserves it IMO
    either not aware enough of traffic to notice that a cop was actually near them or is actually a danger to others
    Last edited by rockwolf2001; 10-30-2013 at 09:51 PM.