Quantcast
Uber in Calgary Thread - Page 11 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 11 of 69 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 21 ... LastLast

Thread: Uber in Calgary Thread

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by Masked Bandit

The city bylaws are only part of the equation, and frankly it's the easy part. The lack of adequate insurance at the moment is the real issue.
    It's only an issue for the driver health/drivers car. All liability is covered by Uber.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

So... if you get hit, could the other party argue their way out of paying out on the basis of your "illegal operation"?

My Ride
    Lariat 2.7 & StreetTriple R

So all this to say this is a good idea in theory but at the end of the day if you are unlucky and get in a crash you are fucked. On top of that drivers dont really make much, and passengers still get from a to b just like a cab.

Seems like the easiest solution to this problem is for taxi companies to get to the 21st century, have an app similar to Uber with online payment options, and everyone would be happy (government, users, insurance companies, cabbies)

Last edited by 01RedDX; 09-24-2020 at 06:46 PM.

My Ride

Originally posted by jwslam
    So... if you get hit, could the other party argue their way out of paying out on the basis of your "illegal operation"?
    I don't think so. They still hit you, the problem is if the Uber driver causes the accident. Uber covers liabilities, but the drivers insurance may deny collision on the uber car, because they don't have the proper insurance.

My Ride
    toyotas, mitsu, and a ford

Originally posted by 01RedDX
    How many drivers in this city deliver not only people, but pizza/food, parts and other goods, every single day, using only PLPD coverage? Uber is not a cab company so it should not be treated as one. You can't just drunkenly hop into a marked Uber, just like you can't crack down on everybody who has ride-sharing agreements for money or carpoolers or casual delivery drivers.

I don't see why insurance companies can't just create a "ride-sharing" endorsement and be done with it.
    I use to be a delivery driver (pizza and food) way back in the day to get me through college and this was before the grid system so the price they wanted was ludicrous for commercial insurance for a male under 25.

I did that for 2 years and while I never had any incidents in two years all the fob immigrants would run into stuff at least once a week and not once were any of them denied coverage.

The insurance company likely will never find out as the car isn't marked and im sure if you ask your fare to decline from giving a statement they would oblige. So as far as your insurance company is concerned your just "giving a ride to a friend"

That being said I just finished renewing my insurance and got quotes from quite a few different companies and at least 2 asked me in addition to commercial activities if I partake in ride sharing programs. (which made me think of uber) So it seems some are already ahead of the game....

My Ride
    ED-7

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/passenger-...113000144.html

A Czech Republic native was forced to protect the Uber driver who had picked him up from a mall here by claiming he was just a friend, after a group of angry taxi drivers ambushed the man’s vehicle and threatened to damage it.

According to video producer Mate Valtr, the incident occurred Tuesday night when he and his girlfriend used the Uber app to hail the driver to Mid Valley Megamall.

He said as they were boarding the Uber taxi, four taxi drivers followed them to the car and proceeded to threaten the driver.

“Before we managed to lock the door, they started knocking on the car and pulling the door handle on the driver’s side, which they eventually opened, and proceeded to snatch the driver’s car keys and started yelling at him,” he said in an email interview last night.

“While aggressively pointing their fingers in front of his face, they accused him of being of an Uber driver and warned that if they confirmed that he was an Uber driver, they would damage his car,” Valtr added
    Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
    I swear he was thrown into the ditch by the VTEC sonic boom.

My Ride
    17 Tacoma trd OR

Originally posted by gwill
    Yes this insurance issue that's old as f***. Sorry but this insurance issues been debated to death in every single city uber launches in. In the end Peoples insurance will only care if they get in an accident. If you don't then it's a non issue.

I think the bigger issue relates to cities that decide to fight uber instead of regulating them so they can work. Alternatively cities can remove any limit on taxi licenses so the taxis can run uber out of town... But this will never happen. It's not like city council wasn't aware uber was coming. Why haven't they been pro active in getting some sort of frame work started?

'proactive' and 'city counsel' in the same paragraph LOL
    Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    Also, if he donkey kicks, you donkey punch!

Maybe I'll use a Car2Go to Uber

Originally posted by Nitro5
    Maybe I'll use a Car2Go to Uber
    not sure if serious...you would barely make money..not to mention in order to be a driver, the vehicle must be a 4 door.

My Ride
    GMC Sierra

Uber's insurance will cover any incidents, what this looks like realistically in Alberta, I guess we will find out. The city can come up with all sorts of excuses, but in the end it comes down to the taxi cartel in Calgary is owned by a few people, these people have city counsel in their back pocket, bought and paid for. It is also a big revenue generator for the city. The city has had 14 months to figure something out, but of course they are stalling the issue.

I think it's great they are shaking up the industry, I will use Uber asap and hopefully never have to take a cab again.

Originally posted by Masked Bandit

I suspect if Brett Wilson's insurance broker catches wind of this his tune will change.

The city bylaws are only part of the equation, and frankly it's the easy part. The lack of adequate insurance at the moment is the real issue.
    Can a Multi million - billionaire not self insure somehow??

And right on cue, here's a top post on Reddit right now. Mildly NSFW cause poop. Uber car, apparently a $300 USD cleaning bill.

https://i.imgur.com/FUSUDsk.jpg
    https://www.reddit.com/r/WTF/comment...ady_after_her/

EDIT: Updated with link and more info

Originally posted by OU812

Sure why not, most cities are...

for example: Edmonton
    Originally posted by Xtrema
    ZenOps is like everyone's crazy uncle.
    Originally posted by DayGlow
    How do you respond to stupid?
    Originally posted by rage2
    Jesus fucking christ Rob Anders, learn to read your own links.
    Originally posted by Seth1968
    Zenops: Ok, but remember my dick is made of nickle.

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

Originally posted by OU812

Originally posted by ipeefreely

Sure why not, most cities are...

for example: Edmonton
    For all intents & purposes, governments are the only ones who are exempt from mandatory auto insurance requirements (self-insure). Even Bill Gates has to buy auto insurance.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    Pushbroom

Originally posted by Mibz
    And right on cue, here's a top post on Reddit right now. Mildly NSFW cause poop.

Is that in an Uber or a cab?

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Did you tell me after i got my parked car ran into that it was possible that the car was self-insured by his massive corporation employer?

My Ride

And right on cue, here's a top post on Reddit right now. Mildly NSFW cause poop.

They invented car seat covers for a reason, this isn't one of them, but it sure would have helped.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

A short time ago, it cost me $55 to take a cab from my office downtown to my house in coventry. According to Uber's website that same drip is $25 - $32.

I am totally game to give it a shot. I don't think I would offer to drive though...
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

Updated previous post with more info. It was an Uber car.

https://www.reddit.com/r/WTF/comment...ady_after_her/

Page 11 of 69 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 21 ... LastLast