Quantcast
Uber in Calgary Thread - Page 64 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 64 of 69 FirstFirst ... 54 63 64 65 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,280 of 1376

Thread: Uber in Calgary Thread

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I usually like brown and black people more than whities. So I'll happily admit to being racist.
    Am so not feeling the ES love.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Long haired old white guys are okay.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Definetly the wrong thread, but you can no longer catch an Uber at LAX terminal. Most now take a bus to a remote parking lot.
    https://www.theverge.com/2019/10/4/2...ickup-terminal
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Uber at LAX is a gong show right now, can take up to 90 minutes to get from terminal, to ridesharing lot, and into your Uber. Disgusting.
    https://gizmodo.com/lax-airport-foun...rse-1839508700

LAX is already a nightmare experience, and this makes it worse.

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Now that is a shit situation.

On another note, recently took Uber in Red Deer. I was in town with my car grabbing a few things. Had scheduled maintenance for it as well. Needed to kill an hour so I flipped Uber online and did a few trips in early afternoon. I came across an rear end accident on Gaetz Ave in north Red Deer. Didn't think too much of it. Dropped off my car at the shop and requested an Uber. Buddy shows up quickly. I hop in and he's on the phone with his insurance company. Yup, it's the guy who got rear ended. He was speaking French - think he was originally from Cameroon. Told me to dig out his insurance slip from his glove box and read off his policy number lol. Started yelling in French at his insurance company lol. Quite the interesting trip.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

Are these Uber guys actually making money? All I see are Uber plated cars breaking laws and I can only assume their insurance is Sky high and infraction tickets are adding up.

My Ride
    Lease

Quote Originally Posted by mr2mike View Post
    Are these Uber guys actually making money? All I see are Uber plated cars breaking laws and I can only assume their insurance is Sky high and infraction tickets are adding up.
    It feels to me, Uber Calgary has a recruitment kiosk setup right at the traffic ticket counter anyways. Cgy Uber drivers just dgaf

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by mr2mike View Post
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...nces-1.5340295

He's set his own target to earn between $750 and $1,000 a week — before all of his expenses, which include gas, insurance, maintenance, depreciation and GST, as well as the 25 per cent of the fare that Uber takes.

"There's too many drivers in the city," said another driver, who pulled over on Ninth Avenue S.W. to point out on his app that there were seven other Uber drivers in the same area.
    Seems very slim picking.... I wonder a lot them ever factored the wear and tear cost.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Every single Uber driver I've had in Calgary has been a god awful driver.

With the last one being some old dude that drove max 55km/h from Southcenter to McMahon Stadium taking Glenmore and Crowchild Trail (80km/h speed limits). Must have taken us damn near an hour of this old fart just putting along.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

General rule of thumb is that Uber drivers make less than McDonalds fry cooks in most cities. Certainly less than minimum wage.

Funny enough, company also doesn't make money. It's a wacky business, but for now, decent enough for users.

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

The insurance costs are minuscule. I think it was $15 extra a month. I have kept track of my fuel consumption and it seems to average about $45 total during a weekend where I drive from 10pm to 330am on Friday/Saturday. Wednesdays are also a good night to drive in Red Deer because of the Wet - T competition and lower amount of drivers online. Average amount of km I put on over a standard weekend is about 210km.

But really, I just claim the costs against my income at tax time. All km, fuel, vehicle depreciation, insurance, registration. The tax deductions are nice to have.

I drive part, part-time. There are guys out there that do it full-time. Their app is online for the full 12 hours. In their case, most likely less than min wage. My average is $29/hr and that's with hitting the proper 'windows of opportunity'. Only way it would go higher is if they capped the amount of drivers. Plus, I enjoy doing it. Always an adventure. I have met some interesting folk along the way.

As for the god awful drivers, yes, there are many. A lot of them seem to be ex-cabbies or current cabbies who are driving their own car. There have also been times where people have requested a ride and a traditional taxi pulls up. The taxi driver has their Uber app open to run both platforms at the same time. This is one of the consequences of the provincial framework being modeled after cabs - like requiring a Class 1,2,4 license.

There have also been many Edmonton and Calgary drivers in Red Deer because 'it's way better to drive here'. Fuck that cracks me up. Driving all that way and saturating and already saturated market. In fact, CFR is on right now. I can guarantee there are out of city drivers in Red Deer right now. Those guys are fucking crazy. I remember running into a fellow Uber driver in downtown Red Deer and it came up in casual conversation. He says 'Next time you see one of those idiots from Calgary, you tell them to stay the FUCK out of this city!!!!' Lol, funny enough, the next trip I took as a rider was a driver from Calgary.

IMO, Uber should just cut the amount of drivers. Start with drivers under a certain rating like 4.85. Then tighten the rules by requiring cars less than, say, 6 or 8 years old. Get the junk cars off the platform. I don't think the rates need to be touched. And every city should have X, XL, and Select services at a minimum. XL just launched in Red Deer, which is good because Uber was losing fares when XL wasn't here. It was a total shitshow dealing with that.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    Pushbroom

Uber at LAX is a gong show right now, can take up to 90 minutes to get from terminal, to ridesharing lot, and into your Uber. Disgusting.
    https://gizmodo.com/lax-airport-foun...rse-1839508700

LAX is already a nightmare experience, and this makes it worse.
    5 minute walk to the east side of Sepulveda. Uber will pick you up there. Do it a few times a month and never had a problem.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx Mazda View Post
    5 minute walk to the east side of Sepulveda. Uber will pick you up there. Do it a few times a month and never had a problem.
    That's a good hack, and I'll keep it in mind, but how ridiculous is it that such a thing is required?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

More non-calgary news. Uber to be shut down in London England.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/business-50544283

My Ride
    Exploded.

Straight up garbage. I was going to use them from Heathrow.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

I read this the other day. FFS.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by flipstah View Post
    Straight up garbage. I was going to use them from Heathrow.
    Maybe this was me being a pleb but why wouldn’t you take the tube from Heathrow?

It was like 6£ when I took it from Covent Garden back on my last trip, and took half the time as the 120£ black cab I took in because I took some bad advice from people to take a cab from the airport. A big part of the time and expense was because extinction rebellion was ass raping the city when I was there but still...

I will admit I got a dirty look from the doorman at the Waldorf when I said I was going to walk 2 blocks to the tube rather than hail a cab LOL.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Maybe this was me being a pleb but why wouldn’t you take the tube from Heathrow?

It was like 6£ when I took it from Covent Garden back on my last trip, and took half the time as the 120£ black cab I took in because I took some bad advice from people to take a cab from the airport. A big part of the time and expense was because extinction rebellion was ass raping the city when I was there but still...

I will admit I got a dirty look from the doorman at the Waldorf when I said I was going to walk 2 blocks to the tube rather than hail a cab LOL.
    I looked it up and thanks for that; didn't know about the Heathrow Express! I was always via Gatwick so I'm used to that airport.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

It’s a super painless trip especially if you are staying along Piccadilly line
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Page 64 of 69 FirstFirst ... 54 63 64 65 ... LastLast